Shops, Guides or Water near Kalispell, MT ?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

RandallM
Master Guide

Shops, Guides or Water near Kalispell, MT ?

Post by RandallM »

Hey all,

I'm heading to Montana on the 21st for an early elk hunt in the Bob Marshall wilderness.

I'll have a couple of days in Kalispell before the hunt, and was wondering if any of you all have been in the area before and have any suggestions or recommendations for some fishing before the hunt. I generally prefer walk/wade, but might consider a float trip just to see some different territory. Probably not going to pack waders and/or wading boots as I'll have enough luggage along for the hunt already. And yes, I'm taking the pack rod into the "Bob" as well, in case I have some down time during the hunt as our base camp will be next to the Flathead river.

Thanks in advance,

Randall

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Shops, Guides or Water near Kalispell, MT ?

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Google "Fly Shops in Kalispell, MT" and you'll get 5 shops. I have never used any of them but I've only been in that area a couple of times. Good luck. BTW If you're staying at the Spotted Bear Ranch (I think that's the name) before you head out to "The Bob" they have a fly shop in their lodge and a river running right behind their lodge.

Pat

RandallM
Master Guide

Post by RandallM »

Pat,

I have done the usual search, but like all things, you have a whole list of options, without personal recommendations. I'll try calling some of the shops listed, and see what they have to say.

Randall

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Randall;

I have fished with the guides from Spotted Bear Ranch. It was very professionally run, we had a great day on the water and would have caught a million fish if I could have actually set the hook for the first 2 hours on the water. Don't know what in the heck was wrong with me. Even caught a small Bull Trout - which the guide made me remove the hook without taking it out of the water and no pictures. Which, BTW, he was right to do. Anyway, I don't have any personal knowledge of any of the fly shops in Kalispell, but if they are still in biz, they SHOULD be at least competent, right? Best of luck.

Pat

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Bring a mask. The smoke from the west coast is awful.

RandallM
Master Guide

Post by RandallM »

Guys, I appreciate the comments.

Due to some flight schedules and rental car business hours challenges, I'm staying in a hotel more near downtown. I've looked at Spotted Bear, and while they look wonderful, the logistics of the trip really rule them out. I've talked to a couple of fly shops, but haven't booked anything yet, some of their options throw additional time challenges into the trip, and I've learned (painfully), that hoping that pulling together tight schedules will somehow magically work out, in the end, that simply leads to a lot of stress and potential problems. Will continue to ponder on that, and will likely later this week.

Mark, appreciate the mask suggestion, and I've been watching the wildfires in the "Bob" as well, but so far, we don't have any direct impact. Can't do much about smoke drifting in though.

Randall

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

You could drive up to Polebridge and eat some buns and there are some access points on the north fork of the Flathead where you can fish. I like the Kingfisher fly shop in Missoula enough that I would probably call them and ask them who they recommend in Kalispel if I did not have any thing else to go on.

RandallM
Master Guide

Post by RandallM »

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I love the idea of the bakery, more coffee and then some fishing. Nice easy pace and I can take my own sweet time, wherever I want to.

Randall

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

Was in Kallipell for business a couple years ago. Had a free morning before my flight and drove up the North Fork Flathead about 20 minutes from the airport. Managed to catch 10 cutts 8-12 inches on a #12 Grey Wulff and on some soft hackle wets. Beautiful water.

RandallM
Master Guide

Post by RandallM »

Dave,

That looks really nice!. Certainly looks like I'll be more on the "self guided" exploration up there.

Randall

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”