What's your favorite fishing situation?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What's your favorite fishing situation?

Post by PT48 »

Far and away my favourite is being on a NZ river, seeing a fish rising or on station, carefully getting in position to make a cast, presenting a dry fly, fish takes on first cast then netting, extracting the fly and releasing the fish without touching it. Ten out of ten.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Anywhere I can catch fish. I don’t think I’d ever like just fishing the same place over and over. I have access to a tremendous smallmouth fishery and catch tons of 16”-20” fish every year. At times it gets a little boring. Same flies, same spots, same fish
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

It is on one of the NW Oregon coastal rivers, Alsea {fav, since our farm/ranch was near}, Siletz, or further north for the first fall sea run cutthroat. Generally not many people out, especially now since retired. Fine, clear, low water, furled leader. Wonderful days, crisp mornings. One of my good Granger's, my Kiley, or my long British rod. Success is not the point. That comes later when the salmon are in the northern rivers or when the small mouth "season" starts.

Why did this have to come up, this time of year?? Why did I just go to the rod closet? Why did I just count my stash? :P

skykomish

Post by skykomish »

Prospecting with March Browns on a Catskill freestone on a sunny late afternoon.

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

from the back cover of Grays; Feb. 2005
"Just Another Branch" by Rod Crossman
Last edited by One&Duns on 01/15/21 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Hopper time. Or cicada time in New Zealand.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

Fishing dry Bombers over bright Atlantic salmon on a medium size river.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

1. A lone trout sipping spinners on flat water...my favorite challenge
2. A spinner fall of March Browns -- one spinner fall in particular about 20 years ago provided perhaps the best 20 minutes of fly fishing I've ever experienced. It also yielded my biggest brown trout last summer in many years.
3. Brown drake hatch in northern WI freestone rivers
4. Casting a simple #16 Adams on one of my boyhood brook trout streams during the month of May/early June
5. The once dependable Hendrickson hatch on my western WI trout streams -- it's become a hit or miss affair in recent years.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Anytime the water is wet, I'm up for it. BUT, if we're talking about a favorite situation, it would go something like this. Small, back country water, late fall. The water is low and clear. So are the temps - 40's/50's just around noon when the "No See 'Um" hatch is coming off. I want to have to sort through all my boxes, looking for something that will help me "break the code" of that time and place. I really don't care much for easy fishing. And, if things are really perfect, I would need a fire streamside for warm-up breaks - and my camping coffee pot in the ashes ready for when my fingers aren't working well. :) I'm pretty sure I would be alone on this one. Neither my wife or my son-in-law enjoy such settings! :)

Pat

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I have been on several rivers a lot the past few years and nothing tops for me then getting a chance this year to spend time and fish with a dear friend on the HF after his serious fight with cancer. I hope that fishing situation repeats for many years to come.

John

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Me too. Thank you. Plan is to be in the northland for three months again, assuming all goes well with my spousal unit who is in the same battle.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

You two Gents are moving the bar up a few notches - thank you.
Be Safe and Well.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

any time I get on the water

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

PT48 wrote:
01/12/21 22:15
Far and away my favourite is being on a NZ river, seeing a fish rising or on station, carefully getting in position to make a cast, presenting a dry fly, fish takes on first cast then netting, extracting the fly and releasing the fish without touching it. Ten out of ten.
PT, am one day going to NZ, gathering info till that happy day comes...is the dry fly casting in NZ truly the long distance casting of legend?

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

PT48,
I've lived the dream many times over during my 5 trips to the South Island. NZ will always hold the special place in my heart of all the places I've traveled to.
Dennis
Sweetgrass Quad 3/2 4/5 wt. caught on a #14 Para Adams

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

Fishing the "Hex" hatch (Back Lk Pittsburg NH).

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Yes Dennis, I know how much you love the place. I count myself lucky to live so close to NZ. Darrell, all you have to do is ask, I am happy to help if you get into a position where you can go.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Eric Peper wrote:
01/16/21 09:34
Me too. Thank you. Plan is to be in the northland for three months again, assuming all goes well with my spousal unit who is in the same battle.
Best wishes to your spousal unit.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Kai Larson
Sport

Post by Kai Larson »

Wind River Range. 15+ miles from the trailhead. Pulling golden trout out of streams that get fished maybe once every 5 years.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

My favorite fishing situation is standing waist deep in a high mountain lake, taking in the reflections of the mountains on the surface and sight fishing dry flies to rising trout.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”