Lake City, CO Trout Adventure

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Lake City, CO Trout Adventure

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

This year’s end-of-summer trip would send us west again. After fishing the Black Hills in 2015, we were returning to CO for 2016, but would be exploring and fishing new territory. Our destination was Lake City, a town that developed around mining when the United States was preparing to celebrate its Centennial. West of the Continental Divide, Lake City is the only real town in Hinsdale County and would be 12+ hours of driving from OK City. The Lake Fork of the Gunnison River flows north through Lake City and a 1.5-hour drive from there would provide a good number of other streams to fish.

The 13-hour drive was uneventful. We headed west on I-40 to Amarillo and then cut up through the Texas Panhandle, passing through Dumas and Dalhart, and then crossing into New Mexico. Between Clayton and Raton, we were passed by a small parade of red and black Corvettes, which momentarily diverted our attention from counting antelope. We picked up I-25 and crossed into CO. After a quick lunch in Trinidad, we continued north to Walsenburg, then turned left on Hwy 160. The grassland gave way to pine trees and we saw our first Magpies as we continued west through Alamosa, Monte Vista, and Del Norte. Creede was next; I had fished the Rio Grande and some smaller streams there several times, but the most recent of those visits was 10 years ago.

We did make a quick stop to view the water fall on North Clear Creek, then continued over the 11,530 ft Slumgullion Pass and arrived in Lake City.

We rented a fully-equipped, 2 bedroom apartment right on the main street (Gunnison Avenue); other than not having an internet connection for Scott‘s laptop, it proved to be a great location for the next 6 days.

After unpacking, we ate dinner, and made our plan for tomorrow.

The sky was blue and the mountain air was crisp as Sunday started a new week. The road paralleled the stream as we drove north out of town on CO-149. There were cars and trucks at some of the pullouts and the signs clearly marked the area as “Public Land” or “Private Land”. The books had good maps and the map in Marty Bartholomew’s Flyfisher’s Guide to Colorado clearly showed the public access points. We turned off the road at High Bridge and headed down the steep, narrow dirt road to a small parking area just before a wooden bridge.
No other cars were there and we stopped to check out the special regulations sign before putting on our waders and rigging up. I chose my 8.5’ Heddon #17 and tied on a 20-incher stonefly nymph with a Mercer’s micro mayfly trailer. This first spot looked inviting; the thigh-deep moving water entered a deep pool along the cliff wall. My third cast brought a strike and I netted this Brown that took the size 18 mayfly nymph.
I was excited about the great start and the possibilities as I worked my way upstream; however, this was my last strike of the morning. The next pool looked just as good and I fished it hard. Scott walked passed me and disappeared out of sight around the bend. When I finally moved up around the bend, Scott was walking downstream. He pointed and said I should try the current on the left side. When I asked if he caught any fish, he held up his 3-piece TFO rod which the fish he hooked had quickly turned in to a 4-piece rod. It took all of 10 seconds after the strike for the fish to shoot upstream and the middle piece of his rod to be broken in half. Scott salvaged the morning by taking a nice Brown on his spinning rod.
We continued upstream through some good looking water without another strike. There were no insects around and no signs of fish feeding.
The stream eventually ended up next to the road and we simply walked back down the road to the truck to eat lunch.

After lunch, we continued north on CO-149 to try another public access area. Where the road turned right to go toward Powerhorn, we took the dirt road on the left toward Blue Mesa Reservoir and fished the section above Red Bridge. This area has a 5+ mile section of public water, some with “special regulations” and some, I was told, with a 4-fish limit. It’s a nice mix of faster, broken water and deep pools. The dirt road parallels the stream, so it’s easy access. There was at least one covered picnic area and even a bathroom. Later in the week, we found out the water release was at 125 CFS, down from 174 cfs the week before. The lady at Sportsman Outdoors & Fly Shop said this was normal for this time of the year. We did walk through a good bit of shin-deep water, which I’m sure holds fish at 250 cfs or higher. The afternoon was sunny and warm. I still didn’t see any insects or fish feeding. I focused on the knee-to-thigh-deep water with some large stones.
It makes for challenging wading, and by the end of the day, you’re worn out. I landed 2 Browns and lost 2 other fish, at least one I had close enough to know it was a Rainbow.
We liked this section and later in the week, returned 2 more times. Scott talked with a guy who was fishing dry flies and said he was catching Rainbows on an Elk Hair Caddis.

On Monday morning we headed back over the pass toward Creede so Scott could fish the Rio Grande. I had fished it near Creede before and as far north as the lower part of the box canyon, but had never fished near the reservoir. It isn’t too far from Lake City, but a large part of the drive is on a dirt road, so it took a bit more time. We turned off CO-149 on Forest Road 520 at the sign for Rio Grande Reservoir. The Aspens were a brilliant yellow color. Unfortunately, there were large areas where all the pine trees were dead; victims of the pine beetle I presumed.
We passed Road Canyon Reservoir and Campground then continued on to River Hill Campground. The campground was closed, but we parked at the locked gate. There is also a small bridge that crosses the water and goes to a private resort, but that bridge had a locked gate too. It was another blue sky day and the morning air was crisp. The pine trees looked better here than farther down where we first turned on to the dirt road.
We decided to walk downstream for 20 minutes and then start fishing our way back upstream. We passed a nice log cabin that I presumed is used by a Ranger when the park is open. There was even a deer grazing on the lawn.

The stream was wide enough for us to fish side-by-side.
I waded across and we started working upstream with each of us working the good-looking water on his side and sharing the middle. I started with a different stonefly nymph which was a new pattern for me and a quicker tie than the 20-incher. I added a dark bead and some lead weight when I tied these Pat’s Rubber Legs and used variegated chenille (black and coffee). For a trailing fly I had a size 18 olive beadhead flashback pheasant tail. It was a slow start with no strikes the first 20 minutes. Then I hooked and lost the 2 biggest fish of the trip. The first was a Rainbow that I almost netted. It was on the pheasant tail. I chased the fish back and a forth a few times, which isn’t easy to do when you’re wading this faster, broken water. Scott took out his camera and started taking a video so there is documented evidence of me losing this fish; just what you want: proof that a fish with a pea-sized brain took you on one-on-one and went away the winner! I eventually got back downstream from the fish so the current wasn’t helping it. Just when I thought I had an advantage, it came running toward me. Like something out of The Three Stooges, the fish swam right between my legs. The hook point of the big stonefly nymph caught up on my boot and as the fish continued downstream the 5X tippet connected to the pheasant tail snapped. My pride was damaged, but at least my rod was okay! The next fish may have been even bigger. I hooked it in an area of waist-deep water. It immediately went to the bottom, paused briefly, then swam upstream tangled my leader on a submerged tree branch and was gone.
Scott stopped to re-rig his leader, so I continued upstream alone. I passed by some deeper water knowing he would try those places with the spinning rod he often brings along. The temperature was warming up and the sun felt good. The quiet was broken by the noise of a red and white helicopter flying around. Above the second really deep pool was another stretch of water that interested me. It was already 1230, so I could fish it and then stop for lunch. This section saved the day for me. I took this orange-spotted Brown on the pheasant tail.
Next was a Rainbow and then a red-spotted Brown, both on the Pat’s Rubber Legs.

Three hours without landing a fish and then 3 fish in 35 minutes! Scott was back at the truck before me and had an explanation for the helicopter when I arrived. He talked with a guy who said his wife went missing while hiking the night before. Perhaps she was very experienced in outdoor/survival skills because the guy didn’t seem very concerned. He asked as many questions about the fishing as Scott asked about his missing wife. We never did hear any kind of update, so hopefully she returned unhurt.

We ate a late lunch in the shade and then headed back up the dirt road. First, we passed Thirty Mile Campground and then arrived at the reservoir.

Technically, it was still summer, but fall colors had arrived. The dark green of the pines contrasted with the light green, yellow, and orange of the leaves. Continuing passed the reservoir, we followed a sign for the Ute Creek Trailhead and parked the truck near several other vehicles. I was still wearing my waders, but had put my Heddon away before eating lunch. I put together my Granger Special 7633 paired with a Hardy Hydra and a 4-weight line. This would be small stream fishing and we expected to find some Rio Grande Cuts. I grabbed some snacks and 2 cold bottles of water.
We signed the log book next to this sign and started down the well-defined gravel path. We quickly reached the stream and turned right to walk upstream. The water didn’t look very productive; it was flat and mostly featureless. No worry--we were willing to walk awhile, knowing the fishing is better as you move away from the parking areas. We walked upstream for 20 minutes. The stream curved back toward the south, the ground became steeper, and the stream more protected as it entered a small ravine. Just when the water started looking interesting, we noticed a wire fence and quickly came to a giant sign on a gate marking “Private Property / No Trespassing”. We turned around and headed back to the truck. No fishing, but the hike was good exercise and the scenery impressive. There is nothing like this in Oklahoma!
Turns out, when we first reached the stream--at the end of the gravel path--we should have crossed the stream, turned left, and walked back toward the reservoir. We were actually walking upstream on the Rio Grande that enters the northwest corner of the reservoir. Ute Creek was actually south of our location and flows into the southwest corner of the reservoir.
We headed back toward Lake City. At the end of the dirt road, we picked up CO-149 then exited on another dirt road to check out the Continental Reservoir. Scott spent 10 minutes throwing some small spinners from the boat launch area, but no fish were interested. North Clear Creek, below the reservoir, looked very low from the road and by now it was too late to fish again any way. We went back to CO-149 and up over the pass toward Lake City. Coming around a corner, there were 2 cars stopped in our lane and 1 car in the opposite lane. It was in an area where they were clearing dead trees, so I thought the tree crew had the road block. Turns out Mr. and Mrs. Moose had just crossed the road. You can see him just above the center of the picture and she is off to his right, a little farther down the hill.

Tuesday brought another fine day and the chance to fish yet another new stream. It would involve more dirt road travel--even longer than I had estimated. We headed south out of town and turned left on Forest Road 788. We were headed to the east to fish Cochectopa Creek, a meadow stream that flowed through a vast area of ranch land. Cochectopa is from a Ute word that means “where the buffalo pass”. While much of the land is private, there is a State Wildlife Area, and some type of lease agreement that allows people to fish some parts on a ranch called “Old Agency“. It turned out to be very easy to access the stream; just park in the designated areas, use the ladders provided to scale the barbwire fence, and then fish, fish, fish. Along the drive, we intended to scout out Cebolla Creek, which flowed along the Forest Road 788. Cebolla is pronounced suh-VO-ah and evidently is named for wild onions that Spanish explorers and Indians found along the stream. We did see several streams during the early part of our drive and in places the stream looked inviting. We also passed several campground areas, although we never saw a sign for Cebolla Campground. The road split with the left fork going north to Powerhorn and the right fork going northeast. We continued to the right. The road was one-lane, rough in spots, and the going was slow. I think we traveled 50 miles, but it took 2 and ½ hours. Eventually, we ended up on road KK14 and NN14 and arrived at the well-marked fishing area.

This is your classic, winding meadow stream with S-turns and undercut banks flowing through a treeless narrow valley. There were plenty of cattle.

By now, it was 0930 cloudy and still a bit cool. I didn’t notice any insects, but felt as though a hopper/dropper combo was a required set-up--at least to start! I would use the Granger Special 7633 since I didn’t get to fish it yesterday afternoon. I selected a tan Charlie Boy hopper and hung a #20 triple red midge off the hook bend. I went downstream and Scott went upstream. After 2 fishless pools, I abandoned the hopper/dropper for some nymphs. I wanted something bright, as an attractor with a small fly in trail. My choices: a red San Juan worm with a gold bead in the middle and a BWO nymph that always catches some fish. It took 3 casts to hook a 5-inch Brown on the BWO in a pool I had just fished through with the hopper/dropper. The next pool produced a larger fish on the worm as it drifted through the knee-deep water along the far bank.

We only caught Browns. All the likely-looking spots held cooperative fish as we leapfrogged our way upstream pool after pool. The small nymph out fished the worm 2 to 1, but the biggest fish all seemed to take the worm.

This deep pool was the hot spot and I hooked 4 fish before moving around the bend to the left.

As we fished, a few trucks drove by on the dirt road. There was a truck parked by 1 of the signs upstream and Scott said he actually saw 1 other guy fishing just before we stopped for lunch. Perhaps we were just a month too late for top-water action with the hopper pattern.
We drove down the road to the Dome Reservoirs where we ate lunch. I just relaxed in a chair while Scott tempted some more fish with an assortment of spinners. After missing his first 2 strikes, he landed a 12-inch Rainbow. I wish I had a float tube! We had maxed out on the dirt road experience in the morning an opted for a different route for the drive back to Lake City. A short drive north had us on pavement as we picked up CO-114. We could still see Cochetopa Creek, but most of the water in this section is private. It eventually flowed into Tomichi Creek, another really good looking stream that appears to be all private. We followed CO-114 north to Hwy 50 then turned west toward Gunnison. At Blue Mesa Reservoir we tuned left on CO-149 and took it all the way back to Lake City. This route was longer, but much smoother and the entire drive back was about 20 minutes quicker than the drive out on the dirt roads.

Wednesday was the last day of summer. After 2 days with a lot of driving--much of it slow going on dirt roads--we decided to stay close and fish The Lake Fork again. We could still drive north passed Gunnison on Thursday and fish the Taylor River and Spring Creek. Our plan today was to fish the area above Red Bridge, where we fished Sunday afternoon. There was 5+ miles of water and in the middle of the week, we didn’t expect it to be crowded. On the drive out of town, we stopped at the Lake City Bakery. If you’re in Lake City, make sure you stop here. It’s a small blue and white building (originally a small house) on N. Gunnison Ave, next to the Country Store Grocery. When you open the front door, you’re met by an incredible smell that took me back to my youth. If you’re old enough to remember when towns had a family owned bakery, you will know what I’m talking about. Grocery stores with an in-house bakery just aren’t the same! They have breakfast burritos premade and wrapped in foil, but the fresh made pastries are what you should be choosing. The apple and cheese rollup was my favorite. I had mine streamside with a hot cup of tea from the Thermos before putting on my waders and rigging up.
We continued passed where we fished Sunday afternoon and parked in a pullout where someone had built a small fire ring out of softball-sized rocks. It was cloudy and we knew it would rain sometime during the day. We just hoped it wouldn’t be too hard or last too long. In an attempt to control the weather, I confidently left my raincoat in the back seat of Scott’s truck. There was a deep pool right where we parked and Scott wanted to start there.
I walked downstream for 10 minutes at a brisk pace then found an area where I could get down the bank and access the stream. I wanted this faster, broken water that I could fish without a lot of line out.

I had my 8’ Battenkill and added a 3rd fly to my usual 2-nymph set-up; today’s menu: Pat’s Rubber Legs followed by a #14 green caddis larva and a #18 red Copper John. It started fast as I turned a fish in the first small pool then hooked and lost a fish before taking this Rainbow.
I missed a nice fish in the waist-deep current on the left side of this big rock.
Then I flipped my flies to the right side of the rock and hooked another fish that immediately ran downstream. I couldn’t really wade out because of the water depth and current speed, but I followed it downstream along the near edge. It pulled hard and had the fast water helping its cause. When I got the fish closer, I thought it was a Brown based on the color. Turns out what I had was a 16-inch sucker and it was foul hooked near its front right fin. It did rain briefly, but it was light and my decision to go without the jacket still seemed smart. The first few fish I landed took the caddis and a few others took the stonefly, but as the day went on, the red Copper John was the clear favorite.

By the time Scott came downstream looking for me, I had already landed 7 trout plus the sucker and missed or lost several fish. The catching remained consistent as we worked our way back upstream toward the truck. We finally took a lunch break and used the small pavilion with a picnic table we had seen Sunday afternoon. This worked out great since it started raining again and harder this time, but the cover kept us dry.
We headed back downstream when the rain stopped and passed several trucks at pullouts. We turned around just passed a green truck that was parked near a small tent along the side of the road and then we parked at another pullout. It was more of this same type of water and we could easily get down the bank to the stream. One drawback to fishing this type of water is when your flies hang up on the bottom or on underwater sticks, it’s difficult to wade out to try to get them free. Hoping to loose less flies, I use lighter tippet on my end fly, thinking that will break and I will at least get my stonefly back. It doesn’t always work and twice in the morning I lost all 3 flies and had to completely re-rig! The fishing was slower after lunch, but I picked up a fish here and there right up until we quite for the day.

It did rain lightly 1 more time and leaving the raincoat in the truck turned out to be a great decision since Scott was wetter from sweat than I was from the rain. He caught this nearly spot-free Rainbow in the knee-deep current.

It rained once more on the drive out and after a 20-fish day (all Rainbows), I took this rainbow as a promise of good catching to come.
Thursday was the first day of fall. We thought about driving passed Gunnison and Almont to fish the Taylor River and Spring Creek. It looked to be about a 90-minute drive, a bit more if we went to the area just below the Taylor Reservoir where you can fight the crowd for a chance to catch some really big fish. I did bring a deer hair mouse which has been effective on largemouth bass and it seemed tempting. Scott called his office to have someone check on water release since he had no connection for his laptop at the apartment. It was listed as 242 CFS. The Colorado Angling Guide by Fothergill and Sterling showed the river is difficult to wade at releases above 200 CFS. We decided to skip the drive and fish the Lake Fork for a third time. We drove even farther down the dirt road, passed the truck and small tent where we turned around yesterday, to try out some new water. After parking the truck, we walked downstream for 15 minutes and then made our way to the water.
Scott started here and I went just downstream where the water flowed waist-deep along this cliff wall.
This pool quickly gave up a Rainbow and a Brown.

We worked our way upstream fishing side-by-side when we could or 1 pool after another. The multi-nymph rig with a large stonefly and a smaller trailing fly proved effective again. This Rainbow, 1 of the most colorful of the trip, took the red Copper John and Scott took this Rainbow from the same pool with a 20-incher stonefly.

Right after lunch, I carefully waded out to fish this pocket behind the small rock wall.

This Brown couldn’t resist the rubber-legged stonefly. After fishing this section, I think it’s time to start carrying the folding wading staff my wife bought for me as a Christmas gift 10 years ago. At the time, I thought: these are for “old guys”; next year, it will be on the packing list. I ended up landing 10 of the 11 fish I hooked for the day.
While putting our stuff away, we talked with a couple from Kansas who fish here regularly. They were the only other fly fishers we had seen in the past 2 days; everyone else had spinning rods. They mentioned Kokanne salmon had been spotted in the river, moving up out of Blue Mesa Reservoir. We talked about our success fishing nymphs the past 2 days and about other CO and NM streams we had all fished. I gave them 1 of the Pat’s Rubber Legs stoneflies. They also spoke highly of their trips to WY to complete the Cutthroat Slam. We headed back to Lake City with just 1 more day of fishing ahead before the drive home on Saturday.

Henson Creek, which flows into the Lake Fork right in Lake City, was our stream of choice for Friday morning. A dirt road (CR-20) parallels the stream and you just watch for the “Public Land” and “Private Land” signs. The couple from Kansas told us to go upstream from the spot where Nellie Creek enters Henson Creek. They said they had success with a dry/dropper rig. When we stopped at Sportsman Fly Shop, hoping to meet Peter who guides there during the summer and guides for Beaver’s Bend Fly Shop in Broken Bow, OK in the winter, we were told to drive out of town 10 miles, park, and fish up to the water fall. There was a light rain and a chill in the air as we jumped in the truck. Along the way you pass an old mine/museum that gives tours, but didn’t appear to be open this late in the season. There were people camping and fishing with spinning rods at the Nellie Creek junction, which is exactly what the fly shop said to expect. The rain came harder at times and then would let up again as we continued out the dirt road, climbing all the time. We passed some good-looking water, but knew we could try it on the drive back later in the day. We passed a few campers and then parked the truck.
I opened the Thermos and had a cup of tea hoping the rain would stop. The raincoat would not be left in the truck today! Scott’s GPS showed us at 10,000 ft and you could see fresh powder on the 13,000+ ft peaks in the background.

I checked out this sign and wondered if “recreate” included fishing.
After putting on my waders, I rigged up the Tonka Queen and started with a dry/dropper combo.

The stream was a decent size and brush-lined. The water seemed low and, of course, all the likely-looking places had overhanging branches or some other type of casting/line management obstacle.
We worked upstream casting to any little pocket that could shield a 6-inch beauty. The rain continued and the white-winged dry fly was a lot harder to track on the water’s surface than a bright yellow or orange indicator. We went around the bend and were quickly greeted by a highly visible sign with these words: “Private Property, Both Sides of the Stream”. Disappointed, we headed downstream. I tried a few of the pockets with the red San Juan worm that worked well in the meadow stream and a small flashy nymph in trail. None of these places brought a strike. In a shallow riffle, I came face-to-face with a brightly-colored, 8-inch Brook trout, his back exposed, making his way upstream. Perhaps looking for a spawning partner, the fish quickly turned around and disappeared in the deeper water. Continuing downstream, the water opened up a bit.
I went back to a dry and found success here. The only fish on a dry fly all trip was this 5-incher with East Coast roots.
We didn’t see the builders, but there was on-going construction in the area.

We decided to drive back along the dirt road to some of the areas we passed. We stopped at the first Public Land sign we saw. It was still raining, the wind had picked up, and it seemed colder. I re-rigged with the worm and a nymph and walked passed the pool Scott was already fishing. About 6 casts in, I was hung up and ended up breaking off both flies. Just then, the rain started to sting and I realized it had turned to a freezing rain mix. Scott beat me back to the truck where we took cover hoping to wait it out.

I poured the last of the hot tea from the Thermos. We laughed; it was 23 Sep, the second day of fall; we were at 9688 ft and it was now snowing. After 10 minutes we decided to drive back to Lake City and get a hot lunch at the Packer Saloon and Cannibal Grill--yes, there is a story there! The tables were filled with the lunchtime crowd, but there were some open seats at the bar. We had dropped another 1000 ft on the drive back to town, but even here it was snowing very large, wet flakes. The locals all agreed; it was way too early for this weather! It snowed for the next few hours; however, the ground and roads were still too warm here for the snow to stick. We spent the afternoon taking in the local culture. Some streets were blocked off for the local school’s cross country run. I bought some fudge at Sportsman to take back and told them about the Private Property sign that we encountered on Henson Creek. We visited the other fly shop--Dan’s--on the north end of town.
Scott bought a baseball-style cap. I always like to buy a shirt, but just couldn’t find one, at either shop, that I couldn’t live without. We wanted to drive out passed Lake San Cristobal, but had 1 other stop to make first to take in some local history. Just south of town on CO-149, you will find this sign.

Fifty yards down the dirt road is this not-very-well-maintained memorial marking a rather colorful event in Lake City history.

We continued out passed the lake. It was beautiful with the dark green of the pines, the bright yellow of the Aspens, and the white of the fresh snow.

The upper end of the Lake Fork was smaller, but looked inviting and I’m sure you could find fish in the feeder streams too. Back in town, we gassed up the truck, did a load of laundry, and started getting ready for tomorrow’s long drive back to OK. We enjoyed lunch so much, we ordered a takeout pizza from the Cannibal Grill for dinner.

Our departure time was 0500. It was cold, but dry as we headed south on CO-149. Half-way up Slumguillon Pass the road was snow-covered. We looked at each other when Scott passed the giant yellow snowplow pulled off on the side of the road. It was slow and steady going as we continued up and around the curves. Scott focused on the road right ahead while I watched farther ahead and along the edges, looking for deer, elk, moose or other animals that may want to cross and ruin your day. We agreed it was actually worse heading downhill after cresting the summit. Before we reached Creede the road was dry and the excitement was over. Other than the heavy rain and lightning when we reached western OK, the rest of the drive was uneventful. Thanks to our wives for clearing us off on another fishing adventure and to Jeff Hatton for his advice on places to fish and flies to bring.

Thanks- Ken

Rio Grand King
Guide

Re: Lake City, CO Trout Adventure

Post by Rio Grand King »

Great report.
University of Colorado features the Alferd Packer grill at their UMC.
“The things that I loved were very frail. Very fragile. I didn't know that. I thought they were indestructible. They weren't.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Wonderful report on your great trip flyfishermann1955!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Wow Ken, after having a bad night and just now finally sitting down with a cup of coffee and opening to your thread my whole day is looking brighter for having shared this tip with you. Wonderful descriptions interspersed with just the right amount of pictures made this a great read and I'm happy for you that you had such a great trip. Wonderful country you were in and too bad about all the posted property. You could not have picked a much better person to get fly and stream advice than Jeff and too bad you didn't over to the cave to meet him, which I assume you've done before.

Thanks for the ride along, Nick

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Ken, as they would say here in Italy, that's not just a "Trip Report", it's a "Mister Trip Report", i.e., one deserving of doffed hat and bended knee.

Thanks much for the fine prose and great photos,
Kenneth

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

In 1992 I "had" to stay in Aspen after the festival well into September while my car was being repaired (long horrible story). I can almost smell the air looking at your photos. Ah me...

mcsteff
Master Guide

Post by mcsteff »

Ken
Thank you for the wonderful report. I relished it.
Mark

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Awesome, thanks for the vicarious adventure.

RandallM
Master Guide

Post by RandallM »

Wow, what a great report, and wonderful pictures!

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Very, very nice... thanks for letting us feel like we were walking, fishing, and enjoying an area totally new to many of us... Nicely told... appreciated

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Thanks Ken for your great report. You interspersed interesting fishing with interesting stories and good sounding food. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

I always enjoy reading your trip reports, thanks Ken!

Gene

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

Thanks for taking me/us along on your trip - I needed that!
Well done!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”