New Adventure

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

New Adventure

Post by BambooNut »

The thread on spiders has helped me make a decision I was undecided about. Early in my fishing career, I tried all methods of fly fishing. Dries, nymphs, streamers etc. I did that for quite awhile. Maybe a couple of decades. My vest was bulging with fly boxes. I think I spent as much time tying on flies as I did fishing. At least it seemed like it. I don't think I was enjoying it like I should because I was thinking too much about fly and method choice.

About three decades ago I made a choice. I thought about all the methods I was using to fish and decided that fishing dry flies was the most fun. Not the most effective, but the most fun. I fish to have fun. I love to cast a fly rod. The only fly that's really fun to cast is one dry fly. Everything else feels terrible if it has any weight to it. Seeing the take is always exciting and the challenge of getting a perfect drag free drift never gets old.

It's funny. When I was using all the methods of fishing I thought I was a good dry fly fisherman. I wasn't. When doing nothing but dry flies I got better and better at it. I think anything we do all the time gives us the time to get better at it. Our whole focus is on it. I had to make the dry work all the time, or I wasn't catching any fish. I started to catch fish during certain conditions I never would have used a dry when I was using all methods.

I had a good run fishing dries, but it's time for another change. At my age i'm sure this is my last challenge. I've decided to fish North Country Spiders 100% of the time. They really interest me and I love the history they have. I plan to stick to the classic spiders that were and still are used on the north rivers of the UK. Tied and fished as they were from the beginning of their use. I think I have every book written on them and i'm also in contact with a gent from the UK who specializes in them. I've bought some of his flies so I can copy them. He's very picky about making his flies as accurate to the originals as possible from the info available. I'll do the same.

So, off I go on a new adventure. It should be fun.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Adventure

Post by cdmoore »

Once things warm up, I'd be interested in seeing photos of your flies, tackle and fishing. Have fun!

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

BambooNut wrote:...but it's time for another change. At my age i'm sure this is my last challenge. I've decided to fish North Country Spiders 100% of the time. They really interest me....
I can relate. This winter in Florida I decided I needed better acquaintance with foam, both tying and fishing. So that's all I've done. The rewards have been there on the water, as I meanwhile have been having a ball at the vise. Big (1/0 to 3/0) chunky flies designed to create a lot of commotion in contrast to past winters when #20 was "big" and presentations had to be as gentle as a maiden's kiss.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

That's what's great about fly fishing. We can all tailor the fishing to what we like the best.

I'm way past the idea of catching the most fish with whatever method does that. I'd rather catch one fish my way than catch 10 fish with a method I don't like.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

cdmoore wrote:Once things warm up, I'd be interested in seeing photos of your flies, tackle and fishing. Have fun!

Warms up a lot. It was -4 this morning. Brrrr

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Fanatic,
thoroughly enjoyed your post. Especially the reasoning in support of your dry fly fishing adventures. I'm of a similar mindset. I think your plan to use spiders exclusively now is going to be interesting. Narrowing the focus of your previous logic even more. Time will tell, keep us posted.

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

to the OP, this article is worth reading in FF magazine if you missed my earlier post on it...it's the story of how Yvon Chouinard used one soft hackle fly pattern in different sizes only for an entire season to catch trout, salmon, steelhead and salt water fish.
norcal_1 wrote:Fly Fisherman now has a live link to the article mentioned....well worth reading online

Yvon Chouinard: Lessons from a Simple Fly
http://www.flyfisherman.com/fly-tying/y ... imple-fly/

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

Interesting article. I did something similar 3 years ago with a dry fly. I fished all year with an Adams in sizes #10 to #20. I didn't count, but I think I caught as many fish as using multiple flies.

I was also going to do the same thing this year, but use the Parachute Adams until I got the itch for the Spiders.

btw..My fishing includes rivers, creeks, beaver ponds and during runoff small lakes.

My favorite small lake.

Yardbent
Guide

Post by Yardbent »

BambooNut wrote:The thread on spiders..............
I've decided to fish North Country Spiders 100% of the time. ..
The Clyde runs near me; developed its own style of wee flee (very sparce)
good website
http://www.thehighlanderway.com/clyde_style_flies.html
good book
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/ ... john-reid/
best regards.....john

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

I wish I could fish your rivers John. If I ever win Powerball i'll be there. I also dream of fishing the River Wharfe around Bolton Abbey. With that kind of money I might just move there so I can fish all the classic rivers in the UK full time. Not a bad way to end my life.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

BambooNut: "I fish to have fun."

Amen to that!

Iasgair
Guide

Post by Iasgair »

I applaud your new adventure and wish you much success. I have done similar but will admit I have ventured off track a time or two just to keep things fresh. I never want to bring the attitude with me that I say to myself, ah, fishing the same old flies again.

Keeping everything in check and simplifying my strategies is where I like to call home when I am on the water. I never saw the attraction to weigh one's self down with so many advancements to where the sport itself becomes tiresome.

I for one, though no disrespect to anyone who does, have never had the appetite to fish with streamers, though I have tossed a few nymphs here and there. Though dry flies and classic wets are something near and dear to me, and I don't see myself changing any time soon or in the distant future.

Good for you BambooNut, and please keep us caught up in your new choice of sport.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

It will depend on how much fun i'm having fishing the spiders. As I said, fun is at the top of my list. Having fun doesn't mean catching fish with spiders. It means enjoying the process when fishing them. Just like with dries I expect to get better at it and discover what it takes to make them work better in time. I don't expect too much at first. I'm patient.

I've been called a dry fly snob for what seems like forever, and it didn't stop from doing what I enjoy. So, let's see how much fun it is, and if it isn't, it will be back to dries. I want to give it at least a year.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

BambooNut, - Yes, Yes, Yes. Why the hell not. Like I tell my kids, life is for the living, get out there and try new things. I applaud your spirit. I have done the "new adventure thing" my whole life it seems and its very rewarding.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

Only on a bamboo forum could I get this kind of support for doing something most modern fly fisherman think is nuts.

Thanks guys.

harphunt
Sport

Post by harphunt »

Bamboo Nut... I believe you will serve as inspiration for this season's endeavors. I, too, have been a dry fly only guy and have thought that the wet gets overlooked. I look forward to a follow up post on your success.

peace

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

harphunt wrote:Bamboo Nut... I believe you will serve as inspiration for this season's endeavors. I, too, have been a dry fly only guy and have thought that the wet gets overlooked. I look forward to a follow up post on your success.

peace
Thank you. Especially, after I ragged on you in the furled leader thread. Sorry. I was in a grumpy mood.

harphunt
Sport

Post by harphunt »

:)

peace

Gnat
Sport

Post by Gnat »

"I'm way past the idea of catching the most fish with whatever method does that. I'd rather catch one fish my way than catch 10 fish with a method I don't like."

This is one of the most profound bits of fly-fishing wisdom I have seen in a while. When a person reaches this point, I think he or she has arrived at fly-fishing nirvana.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Gnat wrote:"I'm way past the idea of catching the most fish with whatever method does that. I'd rather catch one fish my way than catch 10 fish with a method I don't like."

This is one of the most profound bits of fly-fishing wisdom I have seen in a while. When a person reaches this point, I think he or she has arrived at fly-fishing nirvana.

Totally agree Gnat.

BambooNut, I smiled even reading your first post additions. I have come to know a couple dam*ed good fishermen these last few years, one of which focuses 95% of the time on dries.

I orig. figured he was missing a lot. Maybe he is but after watching him fish a few times he's not missing out on much! I just couldn't figure it out b/c although I love dries I took most fish sub-surface. I've been schooled a bit of late!

I still can't get myself to roll over entirely but watching others fish I've learned much. Good luck in your efforts and like others have said, do report back!

To Gnats post - Casting is important to me, a learner yet. I've sometimes taken a fish on a sloppy cast and found myself thinking "Okay, he grabbed it but you made a sh**tty cast!!" ... so it wasn't 100% satisfying!

I wasn't always that way, only after trying to better my approaches.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”