What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by teter »

PYochim wrote:Schroeder Quad/Hardy Angel Featherweight on a private section of Big Goose Creek

This was the largest of the day. It took a size 16 Sawyer PT that I put about 18" below a Parachute Adams as a strike indicator. I was successful in practicing social distancing as I saw no one.
That is a gorgeous fish (the rod isn't ugly, either).

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That’s a excellent photo Paul. What a beautiful fish.

This afternoon was perfect for Bwo’s; clouds and spitting rain in March, and I saw a total of 1 Bwo among the legions of midges. After a half hour of knot tying practice while watching pylon shaped midge clusters get obliterated by big trout I found a pattern that worked! Dun biot body CDL tail para Adams with a cdc post and grizzly hackle. This after Three different Adams variants in multiple sizes were totally ignored. The dozen midge patterns I tried had the same effect. Griffith’s gnats, sparkle this and laser that had got me nothing but skunked last night and a #16 dun mayfly pattern was the solution. I was instantly into great dry fly fishing landing some excellent rainbows. Fished my 7’9” Winston penta prototype with a 2 7/8” Uniqua. The rod is marked as a 5wt but a wf4f peach works beautifully for casting dries. What a rod! Jerry Kustich designed some amazing pentas when he was at winston.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

9'6" Hardy "Keith Rollo" dry fly rod from the year 1949 & early post-war 3 3/8" St George with leaded frame and bright spool.
It's time of the February Red stone fly hatch here in Finland. Dry fly fishing feels really good after the long winter, as always.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

These pics are from Caledonia's Spring Brook. It is New York's only true spring creek and the fishery has been decimated since 2014. What can be stated is that the section bellow the hatchery is on the road to recovery. The 900 section is getting much better and it looks promising. The first pic is a wild brown taken from Spring Brook on a recently purchased Don Schroeder 8'6" three piece for a six but for me it loads equally well with a DT-5 peach. Nice medium Leonard/ Payne taper. To me it is a nice average casting taper.

The other pic is a brown taken on Spring Brook taken today using a dead drift traditional Frank Sawyer #18 Pheasant Tail nymph on fluorocarbon 7x. . The rod is an 8'6" three piece five and would describe the taper as medium fast. For me this is a super rod as I have so many 8'6" 5 and 6 weight rods and most are just average or mediocre casting rods. I find it hard to find a really superior casting 8'6" five or six weight cane rod. The Jennings is a great taper as it is stronger in the butt and mid. Glen Bracket once explained to me that it is really hard to build a 8'6" trout taper as there is too much flop or wobble due to the lenght of the rod. He stressed his 8'3" tapers are his best casting long line trout rods. To me it makes sense then again all this is subjective.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Some nice postings today and makes me regret not making time to fish yesterday! bob2935, glad to hear that Spring Brook is coming back. As you know, this Caledonia Fish Hatchery was the "mother" of all browns in the US...and we have some nice ones in UT and other places thanks to the efforts of those that came before us.

Stay well,
Joe

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice pictures. But I am curious about your mention of Spring Brook being the only true spring creek in New York. My understanding is that the freshwater creeks (or rivers, if you prefer) on Long Island - the Connetquot, Nissequogue and Carmans Rivers are all spring creeks.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thanks for the kind words. Today I did my social distancing on the little sister of Big Goose Creek, Little Goose Creek. We live in a subdivision with a golf course and the stream meanders through it. The rod is an 8'3" four weight by Chris Raine. The reel is a Tiny Trout by Dr. Paul Hermann. The fish was taken on a red Buzzer fished below a Parachute Adams.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

That is one gorgeous brownie!

BTW, thanks everybody for sharing. I haven't been able to get out at all, the lockdown, now more or less total, started in Italy before the fishing season barely got off the ground, so I'm living vicariously off your photos and reports.

Keep safe all,
Kenneth

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Kenneth wrote:That is one gorgeous brownie!

BTW, thanks everybody for sharing. I haven't been able to get out at all, the lockdown, now more or less total, started in Italy before the fishing season barely got off the ground, so I'm living vicariously off your photos and reports.

Keep safe all,
Kenneth
Kenneth, we're thinking of you folks. Thanks for the good words and stay well. The next pic I post will be a cutthroat when the mountain streams open up. That will be a while.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Great colors and dot on that brown!

I've been fishing my local a bunch lately due to a combination of still recovering from shoulder surgery and the quarantine. Anyhow, today I was out with my new Sweetgrass 7'3" 4 penta and took my time getting into position to see if winter changed a stretch I haven't seen in a while. I wound up finding a great new run and getting into position just as the heads were up. Took a couple on Stoneflies. Really active day. I fished part of a rifle I dont normally fish and took my time like I was on a big river. My casting arm isn't 100% yet, so I walked more than I fished. It was outstanding for March, and it's always nice to have a good first day with a new rod.

Saw one Hendrickson. One.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Winston 7'6" 4/5 wt 3oz Brackett with Peerless 1.5
Wet wading first time in 2020--- 70F sunny March 27. Small stoneflies, little blue quill types.
Alas, the few small wild browns only took a 16 wtd. Pheasant tail nymph, and ignored my skating stoneflies......

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Fished a Brackett/Kustich RL Winston 7'3" 2 3/4oz Penta Prototype 4wt. The midge clusters were again bringing up a trout in every riffle.
I took a photo of the first fish but there was no time for snap shots with beautiful fish rising everywhere.Image

Can't say enough about how well this little rod casts and handles fish. I walked a half mile and was actually tired of catching trout on dry flies by the end of it. On the way back to the truck I caught the fish of the day an 18" high test, iridescent, and chubby rainbow. Note the color of my hand at the start of my day, by the end of my day I could not tie a knot and the 36f and wind had me shivering.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Tim Z Perfectionist 7.5 footer. Fished the NFF yesterday, the rainbows were cooperative.

Ya it attacked the fly and...........

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

Fished a small forest stream an hours drive from my home today. I should be on a week long holiday in Central Finland, but my plans were changed as the borders of my home county were closed yesterday because of the corona virus.

Fished my 1955 Orvis RM. Caught a couple of small native brownies, and missed one, all about 10" long.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Fished a Brakett/Kustich made RL Winston 7'6" 3oz 5wt penta prototype finished in June of '05. Reel is a Dingly perfect 3 1/4". Made the rounds of several ditches today and every one had trout rising to midge clusters. Another chilly windy day but just superb fishing. The rod has a weird taper with a long flat section in the tip, but it is one excellent casting rod, particularly when punching dry flies into the wind. Tight loops and some real backbone.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Been fishing the sweetgrass pent almost exclusively, I swear it's the only rod you need in Jersey. Anyhow, yesterday I pulled a very nice fish out of a log jam with a bugger and I was blown away by how well it did keeping the fish out of debris. It was 15/16 and well fed, beautiful colors and dot, too. Still can't believe how well it did.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Sunny, breezy 55F produced great hatches of olive-types, little stones and small caddis. A couple of decent fish hit my little no hackle olives in 18, fished a Gallas light Para 93 with a old 2 5/8" wide perfect and a 5 wt Phoenix. Wet waded again!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Fished a 7’3” RL Winston Penta 4 wt by Glenn Bracket. #40xx One of the nicest looking Winston Rods I’ve ever seen. The 8th day of just ridiculously good dry fly fishing in a row. Midge Clusters were again bringing beautiful fish to the surface in droves. Love this rod a bit slow compared to the other penta Rods from Winston but so sweet.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Still a fair amount of snow on the ground up higher but the water is open. All nymphs but hungry fish. Given the colder temps I went with a newer classic - early Walt Powell Hexagraph...

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Just fished the lower Beaverkill. It was around 600 CFS, about 60 degree high. Mostly cloudy. Stones, caddis, and midges. A couple Quill Gordons. Really slow day. I was using my Bernard Ramanaskas Scott 7105. This rod is in it's own league, like it's a different material altogether than anything else. With a dry it's a laser pointer and has a comfort zone at around 50 feet out. However, you can do anything within reason with this rod. I wound up getting one bow nymphing (stone fly nymph), probably around 15. It gave me a good workout, anyone who knows those bows knows that they work you. I hooked it in some fast water and landed it way below in some softer flow.

I mainly fish Progressive tapers, the swell in this rod is beautiful and I can feel how much backbone it gives the rod. Cant wait to fish some steady hatches with it.

From what I gather it was slow everywhere in the system despite the great weather.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”