What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by DaveNJ »

As have I, as have I....

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Haha, thanks guys! It’s a great fishing boat and fast enough to race...fixed oars make the Nantucket sleigh rides more manageable

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

1st and only cast this am before breakfast...

Heddon 14 8.5, conehead nymph

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Took my recently converted Orvis Rocky Mountain Fly & (no longer) spin out today. I caught my personal best Brown (best guess at 17") and had a bigger cutthroat bend my hook to get away just 4' from my - too small - net. This is the first time that my Rocky Mnt. has tussled with the bigger boys and I was quite impressed. I landed 7 and missed another 5 good size fish by striking just a tad bit early or not doing an adequate job of setting the hook.

Weather is already heating up and it seems that everything else, sadly, is also heating up.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Another section of Butte Creek. Rod is a pre-1909 FET 8.5 ft. Dirigo that I just restored. This is a fantastic 4 wt. and is what I would call semi-parabolic. It will flex to within a few inches of the handle yet can easily cast 30 ft or more. Probably a lot more, the creek is too covered with trees to get a full cast.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

adkfan wrote:1st and only cast this am before breakfast...

Man I bet that was quite the fight! I want to catch a carp so bad! Its one of my goals this year. Any chance you can post a pic of your fly up close? What conditions and what was it doing when you cast to it? I have some carp doing the dance on my lake this week and I am going to try my best to hook one up!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

wineslob, nice job on getting that beautiful old FET Dirigo back on the water!

adkfan, beautiful Adirondack guide boat!

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Loogie wrote:
adkfan wrote:1st and only cast this am before breakfast...

Man I bet that was quite the fight! I want to catch a carp so bad! Its one of my goals this year. Any chance you can post a pic of your fly up close? What conditions and what was it doing when you cast to it? I have some carp doing the dance on my lake this week and I am going to try my best to hook one up!

So here’s what I do, I have a decent section of shoreline that the carp will cruise along and either bottom or top feed. Generally bottom feeding before spawn and top after. They are just moving onto spawning beds now here in N.Y. I walk my beat sighting fish always back from the water(they spook easily) and only cast to fish I’ve targeted. I use a drag and drop technique to get the fly at about the 12” point in front of the fish, lifting the rod to allow the weighted fly to swim into the 6” range and sit on the bottom. As the fish moves toward the fly, I lift the rod tip to impart a jigging action to attract the fish. If you’ve done everything right, the fish will eat the fly. It’s important to set the hook right on the take as they are notorious for releasing flies once they realize it isn’t food. It’s a difficult fish to catch but among the best fighting fish out there!

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Been fishing graphite for bigger flies, bigger mends, etc.... bouncing fish and had a 2 break offs this week. Might be my turning point.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

headwaters wrote:wineslob, nice job on getting that beautiful old FET Dirigo back on the water!

adkfan, beautiful Adirondack guide boat!

Thanks! I'm very surprised by the rod. While it feels like a "noodle" it's got quite a bit more backbone than you would think. It is a seriously wonderful rod to fish.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Winston 7'9" quad 4/5 wt with a 2 7/8" uniqua. Fished it with a DT4 peach. Caught 1 trout on a caddis pattern would have taken 6 of em to make 12". Still fun and considering every stream is now a brown flood I left happy, heck just casting that rod makes me smile.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

This pm, my wife and I went out on the lake on our Ghenoe, it was calm, 80deg, light overcast, the weapon: 6wt western classic, the line 406 WF6F; the fly, an olive cone head woolly. I had one shot at a ginormous carp, I put the fly 10 inches infront of it, 40 ft cast. It paused slurped it and promptly dove behind a branch and broke off.

Carp 1 Loogie 0

Those darned things are tough!

I had to get some satisfaction with some bass, alas no fly rod...

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I fished a W&M Granger Premier 8642 yesterday from a driftboat in the Rogue River, throwing salmonfly patterns along the banks. Many of the takes were big and splashy. The fish weren't huge but they were plenty strong, and in the high and fast water this rod was exactly what I needed. (Some pictures are stills from a video.)

PS, this is the same rod I posted about here a decade ago. As you can see, it made a full recovery and is still going strong.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32016&hilit=premier#p106401

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Fishing my George Guba built 8' 2/2 Payne 102H with an Airflo DT5F on an old Hardy St. George I believe to be from around WWII. Sweet presentation rod!

The 23" brownie was one of four that were 20" or better on Tuesday. Gotta love a sulfur hatch!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Lon, nice pics of the W&M Granger Premier 8642 with the Bouglé. I fish a similar setup with my GG 8642 Special. Is that Bouglé 3 1/4" or the 3 1/2" reel size?
Ron

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

In full blown research mode, I was determined to figure out my preferences among my six 4 weights. Fished three this week and love them all equally for their different personalities. Jenkins 756, Harry Boyd PHY Perfectionist and an “Old Faithful” 8040. The 8040, after significant head scratching consternation, helped me figure out the code to the caddis event going on, and caught the most fish on the Rio de los Pinos.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Thanks, Ron.
It's the 3 1/2-inch version (as measured pillar to pillar).

Lon

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Winston 7'9" Quad 4/5wt with a post war 3 1/8 perfect.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

teter wrote:Thanks, Ron.
It's the 3 1/2-inch version (as measured pillar to pillar).

Lon
Thanks Lon, that's the exact setup I've been using. Nice combo and can't wait to get out with it.
Ron

Rye_Tyler

Post by Rye_Tyler »

No fish, but first test drive of a new Dennis Stone Storyteller 8’ 2/2 4wt and new Hardy St George Limited 3 screw lhw.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”