What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by PT48 »

Beautiful country and a great little stream. Do you have any grizzlies in that neck of the woods?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

PT48 wrote:
10/11/20 18:49
Beautiful country and a great little stream. Do you have any grizzlies in that neck of the woods?
This is one of my favorite rivers as the canyon is scenic year round, with three very nice campgrounds (which we stayed in this weekend as we're allowed to have fires in the campgrounds, but currently, not anywhere else). Thank goodness, no grizzlies and very likely a few less deer as hunters were out in droves.

It was unfishable the week after Memorial Day due to high flows but perfect this weekend, even after a remarkably dry spring and summer here in Utah.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Thanks for posting these stunning views.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Fabulous scenery, great Orvis rod and beautiful fish

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Fished my Jenkins GA 70 w Pheonix dt 4 silk line and Hardy Uniqua 2 7/8. Final day of the year on a favorite small stream. Cheers. Chris

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Beautiful.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Fished a little Robbins Little Creek with a Peerless 7M and DT-4 line. Got a tip and a key to a gate (from an elderly friend whom I dropped in on to see how he was making out through the COVID) and fished a remote stretch of a little creek I had only visited on a lower stocked stretch. No large fish to be had, but the pool/ripples were exquisite (dancing water!), garbage nonexistent and bluebird skies with leaves changing. Caught a couple of rainbows, VERY brightly colored 8 inches or so, handful of small browns and a couple of brookies. And, 4 inchers to remind me the stocking truck doesn't supply this particular gorge or meadow.
I told the owner I'd pick up a kitchen garbage bag of refuse by the entrance in response to his gesture, and he told me to keep the keep the key, come when you want, but come alone.
Another thing - I was wearing wool felt Russell wading brogues, and almost broke my neck a few times, since I am used to studs. was lazy and didn't put studs in. Note to self.

kjuy76

Post by kjuy76 »

Ihave been going to the alaska for fishing and that was a very good trip as well as the picnic point.
Need something about the cheap 2 person canoe.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

9' Winston 5 1/2 oz.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hel!o teter, --- you just look so darned happy!

regards, jim w

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Happy and lucky. Thanks.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Took my new to me birthday rod (built same month I was born) out today and broke it in, but it never broke a sweat. This was the biggest of the pair.

The rod is a 7 1/2' 2/2 3 7/8 oz model Battenkill, which pairs nicely with my 8 1/2' 3/2. I really prefer the 3-piece format in rods over 6 1/2'. In fact I like the 6 1/2' better in a 3 piece as well. Now if I could just find some fish like Teter is always posting...
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Fished a Payne 201 repo I built out on a Dennis Stone blank. North Carolinas Davidson River and Mills River.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

It has been raining cats & dogs for a month. Marcus and I seized a golden dawn for some small bass action.

Marcus with his Calviello ‘little Marcus’ jaguar Flamed 8ft 3/2 paired with his Brass Faced Perfect

I had fun with the Brandin Tournament Special HB 8’4” 2/2 Hex 4wt paired with an Arthur Walker Reel.

Arthur
Last edited by ARTHURK on 10/18/20 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

ARTHURK wrote:
10/18/20 08:36

I had fun with the Brandin Tournament Special HB 8’4” 3/2 Hex 4wt paired with an Arthur Walker Reel.

Arthur
Ooowee, an 8'4" 3/2 4wt from Brandin???? Arthur, you're killin' me man...

I really like the looks of that grip from your photo. Seems that "bulge" is just exactly where it would feel right!
And that's a fine fish on a 4wt that long...

You do well man! Don't forget that umbrella..... ;)

Jeremy.

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

thegubster wrote:
10/18/20 10:39
ARTHURK wrote:
10/18/20 08:36

I had fun with the Brandin Tournament Special HB 8’4” 3/2 Hex 4wt paired with an Arthur Walker Reel.

Arthur
Ooowee, an 8'4" 3/2 4wt from Brandin???? Arthur, you're killin' me man...

I really like the looks of that grip from your photo. Seems that "bulge" is just exactly where it would feel right!
And that's a fine fish on a 4wt that long...

You do well man! Don't forget that umbrella..... ;)

Jeremy.
Oops my bad Jeremy... it’s a 2/2... must have been dreaming of the 3/2 while typing ::) :lol Either way I am fortunate and grateful. Yes, this grip shape is now incredibly popular for longer HB rods as you can place your thumb for that final stop. The Tournament taper has a slight swell which cannot be seen due to the photo’s angle & the very dark flaming of Per’s latest works. But having my son join me was the best!

Very nice large brookie Grouse!

Be safe and well!

Arthur

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Another road trip for fishing today. Headed up North to a tributary of the Logan River with my 7'9" sweetgrass 4/5 weight. Used 5 weight JP Thebault silk to take a few what appear to be a cross between a brookie and a brown. I don't know if UT F&G stocks these or if they are naturally cross breeding.

Great little water that I fished for the first time, but will be adding it to my favorites.
Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Very nice Brookie there Ken. The Brooks seem to be getting larger in them thar parts. It was a tough fishing year for me time wise but hopefully we can wet a line together next year.

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

Look forward to it. Staying optimistic for 2021.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”