What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by Short Tip »

Loogie wrote:I got pictures of the Tamales Short Tip (Paul) cooked up! Highly recommend trying some of those if you have an opportunity, they were delicious. Paul was a very gracious host! And the Brookies were very cooperative. Thanks Paul for a great day!

Thanks Dave, pretty unscrupulous looking bunch of hillwilliams there. Appears you've fallen in with bad companions.

The Quill Gordons are better this year than they have been in quite a while. Today I got to stay for the spinner fall, which was pretty great. An F.E. Thomas 7' Dirigo Fairy and a "brought back from the brink" Medalist 1492 got the nod.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I fished a stretch of private water today with a Raine 4 weight/Nautilus FWX. The fish were taking a size 18 Zebra Midge fished 18" below a big Parachute Adams. The fish were very spooky and required longer casts with mending. The rod handled it nicely. The fish cooperated. :) :)

I'm headed there tomorrow. I tied some green Buzzers. Maybe some photos.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Gorgeous Spring day yesterday, so I practiced social distancing after loading up on some nymphs at Western Rivers, then headed to a local creek with my Ovris Rocky Mountain Fy & Spin. The fish cooperated and for only the second time, I observed fish leaping from the water chasing midges. I never even looked at the Wheatley containing the nymphs. Even at just 6 1/2' this rod is often too long for this creek, which has lots of overhead obstructions.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Mon: Leonard 39 5 wt with a Peerless 1.5 and DT-5; little black stonefly and dropper

Tues: PH Young Driggs (was Banjo's, before that Quashnet's) with a 1930's 3" Bougle and chalky- red Phoenix DT-5 silk line. With size 16 blue quills and size 16 olive parachutes.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Today I used a 9050 Granger Special, I believe it's rated for an HDH line, I picked it up last year, 2 full length tips and one 4" shorter, that's the one I used today, didn't fish very long, didn't even get a tap, but I like the shorter tip, I figured the added stiffness could handle a DT7 Sylk which it did, overhead and roll casted really well using a #8 olive zonker, another swinging streamer rod! which I actually have way too many of!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

For the first day of spring, I took out my old warhorse, an 8'6 Phillipson PowrPakt, the first nice bamboo rod I ever bought. When I purchased it about 15 years ago, it was unfished, but the butt ferrule had been marred when someone took pliers to it so it was hardly mint. I removed the wrapper from the grip and started fishing it, and it is still my sentimental favorite. I have caught hundreds of trout on this rod, which was sold by Spiro's Sporting Goods in San Francisco in 1951. A Hardy Perfect marked for the storied Kerr's Sporting Goods in Beverly Hills was my reel of choice today.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

had a molar extracted, oral surgeon said 'did anyone ever tell you, you have really long roots ?'
He used a hammer and small chisel eventually.
On the plus side, took 2 sick days, some good drugs for the pain, and went fishing. Everyone knows fishing is a natural analgesic.

It's still all tailwaters here in the early spring so fishing is marginal. The famous S. Platte has lots of fish in a pretty river but they are extremely hard to catch. A hatch gets the fish up and feeding, when no hatch it's dour..
Friend Greg got a nice 21" rainbow and lost one of the truly big ones, 26" I estimated.

First day fished SB 359 8.5' which is a 5wt and a terrific rod, with a new-to-me SB 1144 refurbished and switched to LHW. This is an excellent combination I find, enjoyed fishing it. One nice 18" brown, and broke off something in heavy current.

Second day fished a SB 323 which I refinished last year. Got this as a project rod from snorider on here, thank you. Somehow it took me a year to go trout fishing again, between work and family, so this was its first outing.
Orvis CFO III bought new in 1981, with the first new fly line I've bought in twenty years, Orvis Superfine 5wt.
I'm still getting the hang of this rod, so far oddly enough prefer the 359. Also tried it with a Cortland Sylk 6wt DT.

apologies for the blurry images, my camera phone no longer focuses right for some reason..

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Doug K wrote:
apologies for the blurry images, my camera phone no longer focuses right for some reason..
Blurry or not, nice fish and great value rods.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Fished a 7'9" 3 1/8oz RL Winston Penta Prototype today for the first time ever. This was a brand new rod that had plastic on the grip, when it was partially incinerated in the rod shop fire. It was made as far as I can tell by Jerry Kustich in 2005 and had spent the ensuing years in a plastic bag. The rod was returned to me today from getting the butt section scarfed. Midges were the soup du jour on the ditch I fished today. I can tell you this it is dang hard to hook a fish on a #28 midge dry fly. There was some good hook setting practice tho. As the evening progressed the mood in the midge world swung to a more amorous groove and midges started clustering up in piles on the creek bringing some nice fish up to the surface. A #18 griffiths gnat was the perfect party pad for these lovers and it got me into some excellent fish. The first dry fly fish of the decade and as the swans flew over in the sunset I could not stop smiling.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

A nice day for a Dickerson (taper)...

Post by Shrimpman »

I finally got on some water with an 8', 4/5wt. Dickerson 8012 taper and couldn't be happier. Rich Margiotta beautifully built out a Dennis Stone blank:

It was a fine day to be feeling Spring arrive...

There was no mention of it being hollowed, but it's a very light rod. It cast WF4F and DT5F very well and roll casts better than expected for a light-tipped rod. It actually fishes a lot like a lighter weight version of the Orvis 4 1/8 oz. taper, which is a score for me!

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/27/20 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

Doing my part today social distancing with my new 7' 3wt by J. Downes.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Nice! Good to see everyone getting out now that spring has sprung. I know we'll be affected by current events, but hopefully most can fish, seems like one of the safest activities available, other than bagpipe playing, which involves automatic social distancing.

Mayflies are popping, still a few Quill Gordons, some tiny Black Quills were in evidence as well. 1st full day of spring, a good one! Payne 97 with a 2 7/8" Perfect.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Lovely rod, and beautiful trout!

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I fished a small stream in the Driftless region of MN today. Fishing was slow, but it was nice to be out on a stream. I used my 7’6” Heddon Thorobred and put a 5 wt. line on it. Worked great.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I accidentally caught quite a few suckers on nymphs drifted under a dry fly, also not quite down on the bottom. The really big ones put up quite a fight, though you could almost always tell it wasn't a trout.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Schroeder Quad/Hardy Angel Featherweight on a private section of Big Goose Creek

This was the largest of the day. It took a size 16 Sawyer PT that I put about 18" below a Parachute Adams as a strike indicator. I was successful in practicing social distancing as I saw no one.
Last edited by PYochim on 03/23/20 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

perfesser wrote:well, apparently suckers will rise off the bottom for a fly..
I've caught them on dry flies, late fall and stream low.. not the cutthroat I was after, but put up a terrific fight. As a carp fly-fisher, I don't mind catching suckers ;-)

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

I am enjoying these early spring photos of fish, bamboo and fly reels. We just got 5-6 inches of the fluffy white stuff up here in northeastern Vermont. In the last week I have seen a few migrants showing that spring is not too far away. Two grackles showed up at our feeders today, spotted two robins yesterday, and a week ago red breasted nuthatches started joining their white breasted cousins. Daffodils are just breaking ground in our backyard, and crocuses doing the same in the front yard. For the next week and a half we have daytime temperatures in the low to mid forties. There are designated spots on the major rivers for fishing year round, so hopefully I’ll get out before the official opening of trout season on April 11th. I have to say I was looking forward to the melting of the last snow when all that crazy white stuff fell. I took a walk in it around nightfall, and the quiet of the night and the snow was mesmerizing. Keep the photos coming. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”