What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by DaveNJ »

Winston 7'9" 5wt Quad.

Been haunting the Lower Main Stem of the Delaware with it. Went twice the past week and basically did the same run both times. I lost my parking spot for my lower, lower, lower Main spot. It's between Kellams and Callicoon, that's all I can say. So what usually involves a long walk as it is has now been book ended by an even longer walk. Adds about a mile give or take to the whole trek. There have been a good amount of bugs down there: Isos, BWOS, white flies, caddis, etc. Before the temps dropped I got into some risers, but yesterday nothing rose anywhere (even at Lordville where I ended both nights). However, I've been getting into some very nice rainbows subsurface on Iso nymphs and BWO emergers. 2 of them were spectacular pains in the asses and ran me stupid. Some people tout seeing their backing as a great thing, but I hate it. 3 fish in 2 outings got me deep into my reel this past week. Usually it's the 16/17/18 inch bows that do it, but one fish yesterday was an absolute slob of a rainbow. I'd say it was just short of 20, as most people will agree that the bows in system seem to top out around there, and it was fat "af." What made yesterday really interesting was that they were only taking my flies on a dead drift. I worked down stream swinging, swinging, swinging. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Then I started upstream with dead drifts and boom, it was on.

The fishing has been good in spite of the terrible flows and awkward weather. Haven't seen any notable browns in a while, but I lost an absolute GIANT last night that must have been one. I never had control of the fish, not for one second, and that will be the one I'll think about all winter. I'm sure most of you know how that goes.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Norling 8'3" 5 weight/Winston Perfect today. I caught fish in the morning on a green size 18 Piss Willie and in the afternoon on a gray CDC Emerger. This is a lousy photo but it proves I was there.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

A 6’4” 3 wt Mark Canfield rod, Darkly flamed with intermediates, with a hardy featherweight and a 4 weight line.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I started Fall off with a couple of Goodwin Grangers.

8642 Favorite with sliding band reel seat

9660 Deluxe

The first of four jumps (freeze-frame from video)

Last edited by teter on 09/25/20 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Beautiful water down there teter! Umpqua? I'm going to have to make it down there one of these days. Nice looking rods too.

Bruce

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

That's living the life, Lon! Water's pretty low back East here.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Started yesterday with an 8'6" Howells 5 wt, LRH and 5 wt line with some big nymphs alone, and under stimulators. 1 fish, a couple missed on nymph.
Later in the day, changed to a Robbins 7'6" 4wt and Peerless 7M with DT-4 when some light gray, unidentified 16/18 duns appeared. 9 fish on dries.
It paid to wait, even though it rained on and off. Wet wading was refreshing, though fall is in the air......

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Bruce,
Thanks. The steelhead was on the Upper Rogue. The bass was in California.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

teter wrote:
09/25/20 12:31
Bruce,
Thanks. The steelhead was on the Upper Rogue. The bass was in California.
Nice Steelhead and Bass! You got me inspired to head to the river (Deschutes) rather than sit around and tie some flies.

Fished my Phillipson Paramount, Caught several trout, two of them a little better than average. Other than the strong winds.. a great day to be out!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Wow Lon, you are doing it right. Good stuff.

Rupert, I went last minute and forgot to coordinate. Let's do next week?

Leonard 38L and Flyweight.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Ain't much finer'n that Short Tip. Brookies are the western sunset of the trout world.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Paul, me too, but I went out Tuesday. Slow at first, because it was COLD early on the Blue Ridge. In the 30s. Then, it was one one of those one fish per fly days for a while. But, finally, like you, the Adams came through for me.

Sure, let me know when you're headed-out!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Schroeder Quad/Hardy Angel Featherweight. I can't get enough of this combination. The reel is so light that it disappears.

I caught a lot of these.

I started with a parachute brown dun with a brassie on a dropper and switched to this as the day went on.

I did see a lot of moose. I came around a corner and found myself 50 feet from a large female with a calf. She didn't seem bothered by my presence but I got out of there quickly. I do see this guy quite a bit. For as big as they are, they sure move quietly.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Marc Aroner’s Spring Creek. Great rod to take out on a fall afternoon.

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

In the last couple of weeks I've been fishing rods that I haven't fished in, well, forever. Yesterday I fished a Don Recker 8013 taper. Gorgeous rod, beautiful finish, sweet casting 8' 5 wt. rod. I've owned it for years. Maybe 5-7? I know why it hasn't had much/any use though. I have a handful of rods that always make the trip - whether day trip or week long. So, I have some that just never get fished and this was one of them. I fished it with a Hardy Lightweight reel and a Sharkskin 5 wt. line. The reel/line weren't a great combo with the rod - too light - but the rod did great. Cast very well, even with too little weight in the butt. I swear I don't know why Don's rods don't get more mention on this forum? Maybe he didn't make enough to stir interest? Dunno, but he used to sell them on Coldwater Collectibles - I think that was the name.

Anyway, I don't know if he's even making rods now but they are very well made, gorgeous finish, very fishable and very reasonably priced.

Pat

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

A fun combo for a beautiful fall day in RMNP: 7' - 3 3/8oz. Orvis Battenkill with CFO III reel.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

A 9-foot W&M Water Seal

gooseberryrods
Master Guide

Post by gooseberryrods »

The Garrison 1-piece got it’s annual workout on the little river that runs by our place. The reel us a beautiful little USN&T (60yd. capacity) from Dean Smith, the same guy who sold me the Garrison. Thanks Dean, it purrs like a kitten and fits perfectly in the rod.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

What a treasure (two of them, actually). Thanks for posting, Scott.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Took my Madison Flea and 6 1/2' Superfine Fly and Spin out yesterday. I fished the flea and loaned a buddy who doesn't own any boo the Fly and Spin. Rainbows and brookies were very cooperative. It was a gorgeous Fall day and we knew that the weather was going to change, but we still decided to camp. We woke up to snow, which was just fine as the fishing was great and change in weather didn't come until we were well asleep.

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”