What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by firehole »

trouts,
PM sent.
Dennis

trouts

Post by trouts »

Dennis,
The reel is a Vosseler Passion.

That midge you bought is a stunning rod. I've handled it twice and will probably regret not getting it when I had the chance. It's a great taper.

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

Hardy rod & reel.

Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I fished dry flies on an early 8'6 Phillipson Paramount on the Upper Sacramento yesterday, with fish taking PMD's and olives all day long.

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

Fished the hardy stuff today. The water was high and cold, nothing like the last week. Hooked just one 8 inch brown.

Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Went to the Upper East Branch of the Delaware twice this past week. First outting I didn't use bamboo, so I didn't mention it. But when the wind wasn't up there was feverish rising going on. Highlight from that day was finding 3 amazing fish shouldering each other out of the way for flies in their lane.

So I did that thing where I went back thinking it was going to be as good, if not better, because the weather was better. Classic mistake. Took the Scott 7105 Bernard R rod. I had shoulder surgery this year and my arm wasn't great, so I was only looking for heads. Tons of one an dones, or a couple that would rise enough times for you to get into position only to stop. I waited until dusk and luckily got into a beautiful brown just shy of 20"s, spectacular colors. Beat my ass on that rod and had to walk him a bit. Got one more and then it was done, just like the day. Just one mini window.

So it goes.

TONS of people out in the park. I don't envy anyone without a boat or intimate knowledge of the system.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Fished the Deschutes yesterday. Still some Salmon flies and Golden stones around but not as many as several days ago. Founds some nice redsides looking up and eager to take a Norm Woods, (golden stone imitation). Fished my 8 1/2' Orvis Battenkill. Mega people hatch at the river yesterday!

Bruce

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Went to the Forks of Butte Creek. The water level is a month ahead but we do have a winter storm coming in over the next couple of days. I will take advantage of the early "season" however.
Rod is a 7030 Granger Aristocrat with a Reddington Drift reel

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

page 193,

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

Been getting acquainted with an Old Faithful True Action 8645. I put on a new grip and new guides using Payne 204/205 spacing. Paired with a Sealey Flyluxe from JW Young. Fishing has been pretty good this past week in Central Pennsylvania.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice action on top yesterday; I fished a W&M GA8040 and caught a few.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Catskills are slow but building. Had a day in the sun that didn't do much, then found fish at dusk on a different river. Need more water in the system.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Fished Banjo’s FET Fairy, wonderfully restored by Fred Kretchman ... which travelled 3 times around the world to get to me. Well, Sante had a sense of humour and a measure of drama. Thanks friend Sante, this rod is a brilliant caster & you are missed. And kudos to Fred, the ever patient restorer!

Will discuss my favourite Fairies on another thread. Stay safe friends!

Cheers
Arthur

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I fished my 8’ Folsom/Divine today. Landed several fish including an 18” brown. Too fun to fish a nearly 100 year old rod.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice looking rod and skeleton reel. I agree, fishing the old stuff is a blast. Beautiful brown!

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Heddon Thorobred 8.5 2.5f with Heddon 340
15’4” Adirondack guide boat

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Took my new Schroeder 795 out in Jersey last night. Water was low but not terrible. No bugs but I saw one or two of just about everything aside from drakes. Around 7:30 they started looking up but nothing to write home about. Got one that was a solid foot or so but beautiful looking. Blue dot, full fins with red accents, a touch of brass in its color. Almost at dark I found a crazy spinner fall but couldnt really get in a workable position where I was. Too much cover for the dark. On my way out I found a serious fish rising in a spot I couldnt quite reach, tried to move in a different direction that didnt work out, although I have a plan for next time. I've seen this fish before and believe it will stay there til it does.

Really love the Schroeder. Rod has a lot of guts but still fun.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/27/20 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

That's Adkfan's, and I agree it looks beautiful.

My father and I had a wooden canoe we used on lakes and ponds. It was heavy but silent in the water, nothing like it once it was on the water. Transporting it was a pain when I was a child. I was always terrified of dropping it!

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/27/20 11:49, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”