What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by teter »

A 7'10" Scott bamboo 5-weight made by Bernard Ramanauskas.

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

T&T Paradigm, Maxwell era, 7' 6" 4wt

Payne 102L

Tom McCoy
Sport

Post by Tom McCoy »

My 7'6" Constable Wallop Brook 2/2 seems to have an appetite for cutthroats. Really starting to enjoy this rod

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

A 8'6".
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

One of my workhorse rods is an 8-foot Phillipson Pacemaker, which has been through the paces on rivers across the country. I took it out this week for the first time in a few years and remembered how much I enjoy fishing it. I have another 8-foot Pacemaker that likes a 5-weight line, but this one has always fished best with a DT4.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I had that Bernard Ramaskas Scott Rod, interesting one.

I went out yesterday with the Sweetgrass 7'3" 4wt penta and cut up on dries with my friend. Had a great moment where I was talking about a fish I missed that rose against a log we were approaching, and lo and behold there he was. So I cast my fly a bit above where he was and another fish took my fly, but no hook up. I cast again and my fly spins around some debris, ticking the water a couple of times, then reverse spins and plops perfectly in place, where the fish I was talking about it took it! However, no hook set.

So it goes.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I fished a new to me Orvis 7' 4-piece pack rod just because I had not fished it yet. It did well with some nice 14 - 17 cutties and a few dinks thrown in for good measure. I like the rod, but found myself wishing I had brought a 7'9" or 8' rod as the bank side vegetation - both grass and brush was causing me more trouble than I had with my 6 1/2' RM about a month ago. I also should have brought my bigger net.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Hit the Upper Willo yesterday in the afternoon heat and sun. Told myself I was taking a walk to buffer my bruised ego if no fish turned up, but it wound up being a nice outing, though short. I took the trusty Sweetgrass penta and one stimulator that I've been playing with. I don't love traditional stimis, especial in smaller sizes, so I modified one basically by ditching the hackle to encourage it to sit lower and fixed the wing like a deer hair caddis. And the brookies loved it.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I was going back and forth about fishing today because of the weather and ultimately decided not to..... until I looked once more at the weather and saw the weather lightening up, so at 2 I drove to the upper Willo. First stretch I went to i walked pretty far downstream before I fished, taking it in and allowing myself to approach from below. Water was low, spooky in some spots, but not terrible. Wound up moving a bunch of fish, all browns in this area. I took one from Ray Bergman and got my best fish by bombing a stimulator into this glassy pool and letting the fly just sit there, and sure enough after about 15 seconds a good size brown smashed it. This pool was pretty long and after releasing that fish, fixing my fly, on the second or third cast I got another fish to blow up on my fly just upstream from the last one, but one of us missed. I left that area shortly after and went about a mile or so up river into brook trout territory, although I got a decent brown to show itself when it rejected my fly. All in all a pretty good day.

I used a Winston 7'9" 5wt quad. I really love how well it loads in close and the distance it's also capable of. Kind of a powerful rod for the water i was on, but I like how fast it loads in close with a WF 5 line. I also like how a faster line with the stimulator can slap it a bit if you want that.

mule

Post by mule »

A small stream fish in MT, caught on a Sawyer's killer bug and a 5' 9" Orvis, Ultralight, 1 7/8 oz. First fish since a foot reconstruction and shoulder replacement. Paul :rollin

url=https://postimg.cc/NLxzryh0]Image[/url]

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

mule wrote:
08/03/20 16:19
A small stream fish in MT, caught on a Sawyer's killer bug and a 5' 9" Orvis, Ultralight, 1 7/8 oz. First fish since a foot reconstruction and shoulder replacement. Paul :rollin

Oof, go slow and stretch! I had my second shoulder surgery this past January and it didn't feel ok until the past month. My physical therapy was interrupted by quarantine and I fished more than I should have, so I was my own worst enemy with this one.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Well, given that I haven't posted to this topic after 39 pages, I figgered it was time.

My "go-to" weapon for the past several years on the Henry's Fork has been my Doug Daniel 8'3" quad for a 4. It never disappoints as either a fly presenter or, more importantly, as a big fish fighter. Regrettably, on my inaugural trip this year, 3-days ago, the poor thing had to deal with the idiot who holds it, who managed to finagle himself into three big fish and lost each of them to 4-5 year old 6X tippet. I had the pleasure of listening to the sweet music from the Bougle' followed by the sickening feeling of slack accompanied by silence. This WILL be remedied . . . if all goes well, tomorrow. And yes, I have apologized to Mr Daniel's jewel.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Fished for smallmouth bass this AM on the Columbia river. Several nice fish caught up to 15" until the west wind kicked in and made it difficult to cast and fish. Used my 8 1/2' Impregnated Orvis Battenkill and a white woolybugger . No pics this time.

Bruce

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Ouch, tough lesson from which we should all learn, Eric. Good luck on your return engagement!

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

With the push of water in the Catskills I decided to hit the Upper East around Corbet. Water temps were below 65, and it was sunny as hell. I got on the water shortly before 5 and there were some dinks splashing around. I decided to leave them alone and see if I could get anything to slap a Stimi in a riffle but no dice. Went back to the dinks to hunker down for the evening. Tons of screaming kayakers, screaming must help the boat move down river.

Anyhow, this was also my first trip out with my Brandin 8'5" 4wt, which was even more fun to fish than it is to cast. Firstly, within 50 feet there's no other rod I'd rather fish dries with. I walked a bit and hit a narrow stretch and was sniping the far bank, looking for opportunistic risers. I didn't find any, but I threaded the needle of some roots a couple of times and tucked a sweet side cast under a tree that would have made Annie Oakley proud. This rod is so nice and capable in hand I forgot it was a 4wt and started going for way longer casts than I had any business making, and I did make a few of them, haha.

Once the sun dropped a few more fish came out, but I only saw one real nice fish and there were no bugs aside from a brief flurry of small BWOs at dark. I worked a few dinks as the sun set and then clawed my way up and out of the darkness (literally).

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
07/19/20 21:59
I fished a new to me Orvis 7' 4-piece pack rod just because I had not fished it yet. It did well with some nice 14 - 17 cutties and a few dinks thrown in for good measure. I like the rod, but found myself wishing I had brought a 7'9" or 8' rod as the bank side vegetation - both grass and brush was causing me more trouble than I had with my 6 1/2' RM about a month ago. I also should have brought my bigger net.

Glad that pack rod worked out. I need to use mine more.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

mule wrote:
08/03/20 16:19

That's a nice-sized fish on that Ultralight. Those rods are fun to fish,

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

A Kiri Perfectionist clone by an Ohio rod maker. Great rod. Has the most comfortable grip out of any of my rods. Casts like a dream too. Likely will be passed on to my nephew when he graduates..

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

cgreene

Post by cgreene »

I just upgraded my bamboo fishing rod to the Zhu New Bamboo Fly Rod. Im planning a fishing trip this weekend. Im hoping to catch some bass to cook for dinner. If anyone is looking to get a new bamboo fly rod, you should hop over to this website.
Last edited by cgreene on 08/18/20 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Tool advantage of the cloud coverage today and fished my local from 3 to 7. Water was 62 degrees! Took the trusty Sweetgrass 4wt penta and continued to use the stimulator ive been playing with. I moved a fish or two at every spot until the sun came out around 6. Then it slowed down.

Ran into a bear, big one to. The idiot tried to climb up a tree that was too small for him and it drooped back to the ground, haha. Saw a mink, too!

All is well in NJ.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”