What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by teter »

Payne 206

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy

Post by Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy »

Great day for social distancing and not in the office. “Sorry I missed your call, I was on my other line”Image
Riverwatch 11 ft 5-6w with 3 3/4 1912 perfect with line guard. Rasta Dee and purple Mahoney working well on dropping river. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Just casting from our yard. Granger 9050

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Fished a Catskill freestone today with the Scott 7'10" 5at by Bernard R. This is my second day out with it and it couldnt have gone better. About 60, partly sunny, water was average. Bug soup, but I one-bugged it with a Hendrickson pattern. Got about 8 up top, with some very nice bows in the mix. Towards the end there were a ton of hendricksons on the water.

After about 3 hours of lights out fishing a father/son duo came in and I gave them the water. They promptly behaved weirdly and killed a nice fish. No good deed goes unpunished, i guess.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I imagine that that pike must have been fun on the fly!

I took the tip and mid and "tourist" handle of my 7'9" Sweetgrass Mantra out to a favorite small creek and broke in my "new" rod today. Here are just a couple that are typical of this stream although there are bigger fish perhaps pushing 12 or 13"

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

The last 3 weekends, I have fished rods made in Bozeman. Marty Karstetter 8 1/2 ft 5 weight, Chris Vance 8'4" 4 weight and yesterday I fished a Chris Vance 8 1/2 ft 5 weight.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Went back out with the Scott/Bernard R. rod, hit the upper Neversink looking for heads. Slow start, but by 2 there were a good amount of Hendricksons on the water. Most of the fish didnt seem to care, I would walk about 100 yards or more and find one or two fish rising. I worked 2 fish, got an 18"er on a Hendrickson. I was surprised because I saw him rising from pretty far away, didnt think it would be a good fish with those splashy rises.

The rod is just beautiful. There was some wind, but it handled it nicely and some of the casts I was making were long and it picked up the line off the water well enough for the conditions.

The real highlight was seeing an Osprey (far from home) carrying off a fish. As it called out 2 eagles swooped into the scene. The osprey dropped the fish from about 100 feet and the eagles circled for a bit looking for it.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

One that I haven't fished in some time: 8'6" W.E. Edwards 50 Quad. The reel is a Thompson 500.

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

First fushing day after 45 days since the last one , never ever happened before. No uuuge fish , just small and smaller. Mineral bath was optional.
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I got out today with my Heddon Thorobred 8’ featherweight. It was a perfect day, but I only outsmarted a few fish. A great day to be fishing.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

teter wrote:One that I haven't fished in some time: 8'6" W.E. Edwards 50 Quad. The reel is a Thompson 500.

Lon, I don't know many who get out more than you and share so many pics! This one is really kool!

Good on ya... That Edwards quad looks really good in your pics.!

Jeremy.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Thanks, Jeremy! I'm actually not getting out as much as usual...rivers are open but access is tricky.

Lon

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice.
The 8-foot featherweight is a fantastic taper.

blackdog wrote:I got out today with my Heddon Thorobred 8’ featherweight. It was a perfect day, but I only outsmarted a few fish. A great day to be fishing.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Here's another one I hadn't fished in quite a while, a 7'6 Phillipson Peerless 63.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Back out with my Sweetgrass 7'3" penta 4wt. I went to a tumbling brook stream that cuts through a small mountain. Was hoping for heads, but when I got there I could hear the river before I saw it. Still had a lot of water from last week. So I made due and nymphed when i found some ideal runs, and the fish responded well! Theres a popular hiking trail near it and at one point I had a bunch of people watching me successfully catch. Once I started to feel like a genius the fishing gods spoke and gave me a pretty big brown who promptly got off and bounced my setup into entree. No one stuck around to watch me deal with that, haha.

I've been raving about this rod for a bit now, but seriously what a treat it was to go there for one plan and then fish it totally differently than I intended with no problems at all. Probably the rod I'd grab in a hypothetical fire situation where I can only choose one.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Great day to be out. Stonefly hatch is on with plenty of big bugs flying around, but not much surface action. Maybe in a few more days. Fished my 8' Carlin Para 15.
Bruce

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Lancaster 6'3" 2/2 Baetis 4 wt with ventilated cigar, dual band. Hardy Featherweight Reel with Dt-4, thread woven leader, 5x and little yellow stone dries on 3 small streams in headwaters. Lower rivers and tailwaters are a runnin' high!

syp65
Sport

Post by syp65 »

Pezon et Michel Parabolic Spéciale Normale 8'6

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Fished a Wayne Maca Beaverhead rods 230cm 4,5,6wt with a 3 1/4 Dingley perfect. Flooding right now so I hit some local bluegill/sunfish ponds with the kids. My kids tallied up over 100 panfish each on caddis dry flies and were constantly hooked up and having a blast.

These ponds also have large mouth bass stocked so that is always my focus when I visit. The big weighted flies turned up nothing; leaches, jig flies, streamers, same for poppers etc. But with a very long cast 100'+ and an unweighted wet fly, stripped fast I turned up a bunch of little bass along the weed beds. Great casting practice with double hauling and shooting line and a blast to catch little bass along with a few "trophy" sunfish.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

trouts

Post by trouts »

Spittler 8' 3pc 5wt as I'm drinking tea and waiting for the caddis to start.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”