What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by teter »

Nice. I love Art's rods.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Fished a 10 1/2’ Lyon and Coulson Regent #130 (Heddon) today. ‘‘Tis a heavy mother, but turned a few steelhead in the right direction

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Nice fish - you must've set your lawn chair up at 3:30 a.m. ::)

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Awesome !! Thanks for sharing those!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

8'6" Pezon et Michel Parabolic Speciale. The rod bends well into the butt, as you can see.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Peerless 7m with Dt 4 and 6’8” 2/2 Pickard Quad on some little creeks above the high water..........

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Carlin 8' Para15. Great day to be out of the house, fishing not so great, high water and off color with about a foot + of visibility. Didnt bother me a bit, glad to get out! Bruce

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

paramount wrote:
02/24/21 20:27
Carlin 8' Para15. Great day to be out of the house, fishing not so great, high water and off color with about a foot + of visibility. Didnt bother me a bit, glad to get out! Bruce

Beautiful scenery. Water conditions like you describe are perfect for catching large browns on streamers in my neck of the woods.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Yesterday the water was high and off color from snowmelt, I was hoping for a repeat of last years March 4th Midge Madness. The midges were there, but only in the slick water near the banks and no way a fish could see them thru the murk. Fished a 7' 2 5/8 Winston Brackett made "leetle Feller" and used a "benthic invertebrate pattern". I was not hopeful of turning up any trout. As I was drifting off watching the cows eat grass across the way I felt a bump and "autoset". Imagine my shock when an 18" rainbow exploded from the riffle! First fish of 2021 and a beauty. Left my camera in the car but man it felt good to have a fish tied to that little Winston again. Can't say enough about those little Winstons just too fun!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Wright & McGill Granger Special 8642 - Temps back in the 20’s, howling wind, ccccold but the sun was out - not sure who was more surprised, myself or Mr. Trout? Spooked a mink which came close to getting hooked...

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Fished the little Winston 7’ rod again last evening with a 2 5/8 uniqua. The water was Cold 🥶 in the spring creek. Nothing eating. Then I saw around the bend a splash in a big pool below where one of the springs enter. I put on the “sleestack” midge cluster pattern, crawled around the bend, cast to the tail of the pool and a fish ate it! First dry fly fishing of 2021! I proceeded to land the first seven whitefish I have ever caught in this creek. Guess the natives don’t mind 36f waters.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Took my 8 1/2' Orvis 3/2 from 1964 and a 3 3/8" St. George to a local river for some underwater fishing, but never felt the slightest take. At the end of the day, while we were enjoying a cigar on the tailgate, we saw a few rises, but of course, no such activity while we were on the water.

I fished some larger nymphs that looked like this (stonefly?), but in different colors and a streamer.

Notice the bald eagle above the reel seat

Cheers,
Joe

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

First time out this year. Fished a tiny brookie stream that's a go-to. Pretty much the closest to my house, and it's an hour and a quarter drive.
Rod made by my good friend Tim (Chip Node here) based on some Digger Degere taper, paired with a Hardy Marquis.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Fished a 7'6" 5 wt Jon Parker 2/2 with a St. George 3 inch and DT5. high, clear tailwater; picture perfect day and weather-- 75F sunny; however, probably the slowest fishing day in the dozen or so times I've been out in 2021. Two weeks ago, little black stones and QG types were around.....Didn't see one fish rise and almost no bugs today. A couple of small fish hit the nymph.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

My 8' 6 WT 1911 Dirigo on the Farmington River.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Great to see that old gal on the water, Rob!

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Looks sort of like Whittemore's.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Headwaters. The old girl fishes nice.
Cwfly I was fishing about 1/2 mile from the dam. One of my favorite sections.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I got out for my first fishing trip this year, in SE Minnesota. Water was low and clear, and saw some bugs but no rises. Managed only one fish on a GRHE. But it’s great to enjoy the early spring. Fished an 8’ Heddon #20 with 2 1/2F. Great rod.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Today I fished an intimate stream in low flow conditions. The normal run of fish for this river is in the nine to twelve inch range and I caught my share of those. The highlight was catching an out of size fish for the stream - probably around 16 inches and nudging two pounds. I was lucky because he didn't connect on the first take but I got him on the second. I used my 4/5 bush basher and it handled the bigger fish really well. Sighted fish on bamboo and on the dry fly - what can be better?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”