What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

wineslob
Master Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by wineslob »

North Fork of the Feather. This time a section that I've not fished before, on the left side of the river ( :D) This is just above the "famous" Hwy 70 bridge that crosses above the RR.
Im fishing a Heddon Black Beauty 8.5ft 2F that I purchased here and needed some resto. I got several rainbows, it was a great outing.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice fish and setup. Is that an Ocean City reel?

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

I think it's a Diawa 505? I'll have to check.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Deschutes river looking for a BWO hatch with my 7'3" McDowell

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice! Need to get up there.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

teter wrote:
12/04/20 01:48
Nice! Need to get up there.

Thanks Teter! I need to get down there where you are.

Bruce

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

Buddy and I fished a nearly 100 year old E.W Edwards Winchester 8’5” 4wt

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

Nice fish, and good to see young guys fishing cane..

Hows the action on that Winchester? Wet fly or crisper than that?

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

Holdover wrote:
12/06/20 23:16
Nice fish, and good to see young guys fishing cane..

Hows the action on that Winchester? Wet fly or crisper than that?
It’s definitely a crisp medium fast action 4 wt with a sylk dt 4 . It was surprising at how well it handled the bigger fish but still a blast on smaller guys . I’ve been impressed by its power be it a dry fly or a heavy nymph rig.

I’ve always loved smaller cane rods from 4’4” to 8’ but now my eyes have been opened to lighter line 4-6wt 8’5” to 9”1/2 cane rods.

As a guide I use graphite for most clients but nothing compares to cane, boo is the best, between the power, ability(mending etc) smoothness and fight nothing comes close to cane fly rods .

I have to thank my grandfather a fantastic fly fisher and a cane head for starting my addiction for cane rods at a very young age.

When clients catch fish I think in the back of my head sometimes, nice catch, it would have been better on cane lol !

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

Thanks for the description, that sounds like a great older rod.. Big fan of lighter 8'6" rods myself. Great to fish and cheaper too. : )

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

wineslob wrote:
12/01/20 22:27
I think it's a Diawa 505? I'll have to check.
Berkley 510

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

This 9-foot 5 5/8-oz. Phillipson Premium was perfect for smaller steelhead.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

may be my last outing this year. i normally like to fish a little on Christmas and new year day if weather obliges. took a 8 one half foot two piece payne with 1905 3 1/8 inch perfect on a short outing. reel a little light for the rod but croons nicely. caught one, not bad for the weather. payne is a fish slayer!

regards, jim w

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Back to the Deschutes. Weather is great, the water is in decent shape, and the fishing was decent. Fished with a 8' George Maurer Rocky Mt. Trout Bum. A few nice trout on nymphs and few nice ones on top.

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Fished my Phillipson Dry Fly Special Peerless. Thursday was the last day in a 4-day stretch of 70-degree days before it rained on Friday and a snow storm is arriving later today. Drove 100+ miles to the Blue River in southcentral OK. It's a well-known bass stream that is stocked with trout for the "winter season" (1 Nov - 31 Mar) when the water temperature is low enough to support trout. Started with the 1.5 mile walk in to the Catch & Release area where an orange San Juan worm drifted through some current and a Muddler stripped through the deep slow pools brought 5 to the net.

Walked out at 1040, passing 6 in-bound anglers. Couldn't help notice all 8 other cars in the parking lot had TX plates! Drove 15 minutes to the campground area farther downstream. Parked in the lot at the top of the steep hill before you get to campground #2. 10 of the 14 other cars had TX plates. Water here was as low as I have ever seen it and clear. It was as crowded as I expected based on comments from a friend who fished there on Wednesday. Even the spin fishermen were having very little success. My only strike brought this nicely-colored Rainbow to the net. You can see my red vinyl midge in the top of his mouth.

An enjoyable day on the stream before returning to work on Friday!

Tight Lines- Ken

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Today I fished a heavily overgrown Tasmanian stream and used my beater rod (in Australia we would refer to it as a bush basher). The rod was built for me but, unfortunately, the tips were no good and I broke both of them. Forum member mrampant made a new tip and it works quite well as a 4/5 with a full progressive action. Just the sort of rod that I need to take into country where I dare not risk my other rods.
It was a beautiful morning and as I rigged up the Yellowtail Black Cockatoos were flying above my head and squawking like hell. Who can blame them. I got a nice brownie with my third cast and just after that a platypus swam down the pool and veered off when it saw me. Again, who can blame him. I ended up catching a few more brownies and got off the water just as the Summer heat started to ratchet up. Not a bad way to idle away a morning.
Last edited by PT48 on 12/14/20 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I just get such a kick out of the thought of releasing a nice brown trout and then having a platypus swim past. Thanks for the mental image.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

It is always a thrill Lon, but, you must be seeing some cool things now that you are floating down the rivers of Oregon.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Last fish of the fall, first fish of winter

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Took out the ubiquitous Orvis 8’ 3/2 Battenkill for a bit of fresh air. Fishing this fall early/winter has been poor to date... serious drought this summer and little to no snow for late December. Did land a half dozen decent browns today so things may be looking up. Quite a few fellow anglers out and about - in past years never saw anyone after September...

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”