What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by DaveNJ »

+1 for the haiku!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

This past week I fished an 8' 3" 5 weight Norling and a 4 weight Raine of the same length. Yesterday would have been a monumental day if I had landed half of the fish I hooked. I guess one has to expect that once in a while.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

A 6'6" 3/2 Jennings 3/4 wt with a Peerless 7M raised pillar and DT-4 line. Small hoppers on wild sections of small freestones in southern Appalachia. Small brookies, medium browns and some decent run-up rainbows all week in the mountains. Now, back to heat/humidity at sea level, waiting for more rain!

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Took the SG Penta 4 to the Upper, upper, UPPER Neversink. East branch. Kind of a prospecting mission, had to hike in to non-posted water. At that point it was fairly sterile looking. Reminded of New Hampshire, White Mountains. Fished less than half a mile, didn't move a fish. Ran into one other person who was just as surprised as we were to see another person in such a remote area. He was fishing subsurface and didn't move anything either.

It was a weird day, lower pressure in the atmosphere, cooler. Still had some high water. We drove west into another system and found fish there. Should have moved a few more than we did, but it was ok. Big Stimis were the move, and my friend managed a beautiful 14" holdover in an interesting pool on a smaller stream. He managed to raise another nice fish in a 100 yards upstream, but no commitment.

Bugs are harping, days are getting shorter. Pretty soon the bigger rivers will be fishing well.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Sunday past used my John Clancy/Split Cane Dickerson 8014 on the South Platte. It performed admirably with 22 and 24 Tricos as well as a weighted nymph rig.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Fished the Locsha River in Idaho for 5 days. Used my 8' 5wt Mike Brooks Mckenzie NW, and my 8' 4wt George Mauer Sweetwater Queen. Nice relaxing fishing with soft hackles and small caddis patterns. Had one really great day that was overcast and rainy and managed to be in the right spot at the right time for what appeared to be a green drake hatch. Just happened to have a few drake patterns in my box too...needless to say the fishing was excellent!

Bruce

fishrising
Guide

What are you fishing this week?

Post by fishrising »

Fishing an Orvis S/S/S and Fin-Nor #3 for stripers and maybe albies on the Mass shore...and skunked tonight for the first time this season...

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

Fished the Heddon #20 8’ 1 1/2F today. Fishing was slow, but a gorgeous day to be out.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

fishrising wrote:
09/05/20 18:38
Fishing an Orvis S/S/S and Fin-Nor #3 for stripers and maybe albies on the Mass shore...and skunked tonight for the first time this season...

Good looking outfit, though!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

This week I'm enjoying a Robert Bolt 7 1/2 ft 4wt. I've had it only a week. It is a glorious fly rod!

taylor16
Sport

Post by taylor16 »

My Sweetgrass pent 7’9” 4/5wt outside NE entrance of Yellowstone NP.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

^Amazing fish!

Hit the East Branch while the temps were still ok. Opened up doing the dirty, tight lined a single weighted pheasant tail. I used a pretty big one, and i think it passed as an Iso nymph. Killed on the swing. Got into a couple nice bows, even had one take some backing out. Felt great after a summer of smaller fish. I was using a Winston 8' 4oz with a WF 5 line. This rod is my all 'rounder. Fished iso dries for a bit after I nymphed. Nothing, picky one and doners until last light. Then a good amount of risers came out for something small and undetectable. A Bwo got some lukewarm interest, but a small spinner did the trick.

Can't wait for it to get a little colder.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

A 7.5’ Payne 100 taper made by Rob Hoffhines - an excellent casting rod with workmanship to match.

Havana
Sport

Post by Havana »

I'll be fishing a 6' 4wt Hardy Palakona on some small streams in the Appalachians. Hope I can find some fish now that the weather has cooled some!
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Fishing a 7' Charlie Jenkins GL70 on a favorite Colorado small stream. Cheers, Chris

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Fished my 7'6" R.K. Bolt 4wt on the Root River near Forestville, MN. I had a ball, despite the so-so fishing. Part of the enjoyment was in casting this rod.
I'ts just my style of rod, and despite its moderate action, can still get an adams way out there, should you want it to do so. In Lanesboro, I visited the Root River Fly Shop, which was a revelation. Every see a Garrison 212 lying on a rack, for sale? Me Neither. The owner makes his own bamboo rods, which are well made. Finally, a fly shop of distinction (meaning he likes the same way of fishing I prefer!). Finally caught a large trout on a creek I stopped at on my way back to St. Paul.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Payne 201 and 3 inch old St George in high, silty water. Had to resort to some tungsten BHs, but managed a few average browns and one best of the year brown on this particular stream. That said, I'd rather be fishing dries!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Orvis Madison 7'6" 5wt w/Battenkill yesterday; crappies were on. Today the Winston 7'6" 4wt w/Hardy Marquis or the South Bend 7'6" 6wt w/South Bend 1133.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Today I fished a 7’3” Winston penta prototype 4wt. First BWO’s of the year.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I lawn cast a 7.5’ Jennings 3/2 5wt. rod and a large arbor Orvis reel. I don’t know if lawn casting counts here. I almost caught a man walking right past me without a mask!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”