What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by billems »

My Robert Bolt 7 1/2 ft 4wt. I hear music when I cast with it. Caught a 16" brown with it yesterday.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Paul H. Young Co. 7'6", "Nymph Jr." rod, Hardy "Featherweight" silent-check reel, Ian Moxon DT 4/5 silk fly line.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Great Spring fishing posts! Thanks to all of you.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Had the chance to get out with my brother and an old friend this weekend. Fished a favorite spring creek that we have enjoyed over the past 20+ years. The fish generally arent big but they are plentiful and the creek does hold a few big ones here and there. Caddis, Baetis and Midges were hatching on and off all weekend. Thankfully a #18 olive sparkle dun was all that it took most of the time. Cheers to friends and family fishing favorite water! Divided time between my Jenkins GA 756 and my Wagner 7.5' 5wt. Both a pleasure.

Best,Chris

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Great tackle, a nice fish, and a beautiful spot! Thanks for sharing, Chris.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

I fished Steam Mill Brook in Walden, Vermont with a 6 foot rod patterned after a post fire Leonard 36. I caught a wild brookie on a small grey ghost streamer. I also saw plenty of moose tracks and an area near the stream covered in moose scat. Peaceful. Jed
Fefferfly

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

South Bend 323 17/10 ferrules, with many modifications. This loads nicely with a DT-4. Stream is on Catoctin Mountain in MD. Small, wild browns and some brooks.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

How about last week? I fished my 8 ft., 3 5/8 oz., 2/2 SF Winston on the Big Thompson in Colorado. Perfect rod for the water!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

7’9” LJ Downs 4wt during a fantastic March brown hatch

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I tried out this 9' Herter's 8-weight on the Klamath. I was impressed by how light in the hand it is. I picked up four adult steelhead and quite a few trout.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Wherever did you find the Herters? They were a Minnesota company. Old man Herter's tying books were fine entertainment. He had eccentric opinions on all kinds of flies, deeming many of them as "dogs." How old is your Herters?

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I've read some of the threads about him here on the board. Quite a character, I understand.
I bought the rod online. It is the first one I have ever handled. I'm guessing it was made in the 60s or 70s. I do quite a bit of driftboat fishing and I like to have some inexpensive rods that I don't have to worry about in a boat.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

This afternoon, I fished a 1949 Orvis Manchester pat pending 3/2 7 1/2' and took my first fish of the year on a pheasant tail dropper and a bit later in the day my first fish of the year on a dry on a cadis imitation.

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 04/19/21 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Great rod. I have the 7 1/2-foot 3/2 Patent Pending, and I prefer it to the 2-piece 7 1/2-foot Battenkill.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

East TN mountains. Wife’s first outing with bamboo and I think she is hooked. She fished a Ifert built Driggs taper with Orvis BBS with Peach DT4 and I a Jenkins GA70 with Orvis CFO 3 and 406 WF5

Last edited by RymanType on 04/20/21 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I fished here

with this

and caught a lot of these

on these.

The stream runs through our subdivision after passing through a few ranches. We had a lot of snow last night so the water was rising and clouding up. Runoff will come soon then irrigation season for a few ranches, a subdivision and a golf course. I probably won't fish it again until fall.

The rod is an 8' 5 weight pre-IM6 Winston from the Morgan era. The reel is an original Ross Gunnison. This combination has seen a lot of use over the years.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Nice rod Paul, I have two of the same taper from the last year of SF production in 1975.

What size are the midges that you use? Good looking ties.

I fished nothing this week - Covid travel restrictions and renovations. Blah.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

8'4" 2/2 Blackburn 5 wt with an LRH and some big Stimi's and some tungsten stoneflies on the lower river in the am.
Hoping to put those flies away and fish up river with some #12/14 Hendrickson types this afternoon.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Adrien, Thanks. They're great rods. The flies are bead head brassies. I use this pattern in all different colors. With a bead they sink fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5t6EMIcfQ

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Thanks for the video link Paul. I have fished brassies, but as a mayfly imitation. I like your pattern as a midge, it looks quite effectiveL straightforward to tie and indeed it would sink quickly with it’s slender profile and weight built into the fly.

What sizes do you fish them in usually as a midge, 16 to 20? Any body color work especially well in Wyoming or Montana?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”