What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by PT48 »

Native cutts are exquisite fish and, on a dry fly, what more could one wish for!

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

First fish, for me at least,
On my 9’ 4wt pre 1908 Leonard model 39?
Stream blurred to protect the innocent.
Nice tributary stream while our main rivers are blown out.

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Here's another 8 1/2-foot Phillipson, an early Pacemaker. In the late 40s it was near the bottom of the line but today, it is still an excellent fishable production rod. With the same Thompson 100 reel pictured with the Ed M. Hunter trade rod a few days ago, this Pacemaker landed another couple of chunky wild rainbows in a cold tailwater today.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Fished a new to me Goodwin Granger Victory 8642 in fabulous original condition, in the high country with my oldest son. We are fortunate to have a beautiful range within a reasonable drive that we hike/camp in every year. Targeted wild brookies and air planted splake. Just wonderful to be in the high country. He is a teen now and has his own agenda and opinions, but I was happy that he was still willing to spend a little time casting dries with the old man. Cheers all.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

A Pickard Para 13, 7’9” 4 wt darkly mottled, with a Featherweight and DT4. A good rod to flip small yellow sallies/caddis with, and can handle a small trailing Zug Bug dropper.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Here's one that doesn't get enough time on the water, a Dickerson 801610 taper from the late Lew Parks.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
07/18/21 16:24
Took my Orvis Seven Four out with some Orange and Black hoppers that ibookje sent me. Jay, the hoppers fooled both browns and cutthroats. My best was a 15" cutthroat that was a beautiful pinkish orange. The seven four did well on these fish, but I should have brought a heavier rod for use with the hoppers. These were my first fish on the Seven Four. Also borrowed my buddy's Orvis Superfine Fly & Spin that I sold him and caught a nice brown with Jay's hopper on that rod as well.

MGTom

Post by MGTom »

Been out 3 times now with the leonard 66H. Got it balanced out with a 1495, throwing a wulff bamboo special in 5. Just smooth and effortless casting, really sweet.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Fortunate and grateful to fish the Wyoming Cuttslam with my brother this week. I have lived here for 23 years and have caught all of the cutts at various times but this was the first trip we did to catch and document all 4. Had a blast and the trip took us to 4 new streams in some remote places. We had limited time and needed to catch all 4 in 4 days. Mission accomplished! Only posting a couple of pics but fished a WM Granger Favorite 8040, JD Wagner 7.5' 5wt and WM Granger Deluxe 8040. Wonderful trip. Thank you to those that posted here on the forum about the cutt slam previously- the info helped a lot. Cheers all. Best, Chris

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Chris, nicely done. I may give that a whirl one of these days but I have to do some research on it.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I fished a local river with my Orvis Rocky Mountain Fly & Spin (converted to just fly) with a DT5 Silk and enjoyed the pairing very well. However, I was dumped on a relatively worthless piece of water, which I will not be revisiting again unless I'm just planning to nymph the entire section of river with blind hope.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Raine 8’3” 4/5 weight.

This fish was taken at 9000 feet altitude where the water was pretty cool. It took a tan CDC loop wing emerger. My guess is that it was close to 20”.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Lancaster 3/2 Baetis 6’3” 4 wt with ventilated grip and Featherweight reel. Only hitting 70s this week up high.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I bought this 9-foot Phillipson Paragon, the lowest model in the Phillipson lineup, several years ago. I don't believe it had ever been fished. The plastic was still on the grip, the wraps had no indications of the rod having been cast. Over the years, I resisted fishing it. Heading for a river known for its fat wild rainbows, I decided this was the week to baptize it. It turned out to be perfect for the job. The reel is a South Bend 1115, made by Shakespeare.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Reams 8' 3" five weight on the North Platte. A lot of nice fish but no photos. You'll have to take my word on it.

EMH2
Sport

Post by EMH2 »

Last week on the Grimsa in Iceland one the most epic sessions of my life- Landed 11 atlantic salmon and hooked 18 in less than 2 h using a Payne 410 salmon rod and a Paul Hermann salmon reel. First time I caught fish on this rod, acquired 3 years ago before ill health and the pandemic, it was Paul Hermann who encouraged me to fish bamboo rods especially with his reels now many years ago.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Enjoyed a few hours on a favorite small stream last evening. FIshed a Jenkins GA70 7' 4wt w Hardy Uniqua and Zen Outfitters silk line. Beautiful evening and a few trout cooperated as well. Cheers, Chris

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Scarlet
I tried to send a PM which appears to still not be working. Which 4 line are you using on your GA70 and is yours the 70L?

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Fished my new 8-ft 5wt RK Bolt. Fantastic rod. The tapers seem consistent in feel across the various models.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Brandon,
I was fishing a Zen Outfitters 1/2 4wt silk line on the GA70 (not 70L) I can see where a 5wt would balance this rod as well-the 4wt feels right to me. Cheers, Chris

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”