What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by creakycane »

A T & T 8' 5 wt Paradigm and an LRH. Caught a couple of nice rainbows on large Gartside Soft Hackle Streamer. Haven't fished one in years, but I do like that fly.
Last edited by creakycane on 01/05/21 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

yesterday, january first 2021, a(n) f e thomas nine foot1930s' era streamer with unusual hardy style reel seat having diamond stamp in butt where there is commonly located a wood screw. this is the only hardy style seat i have ever inspected made this way. { from f e thomas on the board (tonsfeldt) thank you, sir; and an excellent example of fred thomas' marque} seat is stamped "special", et c. reel is 1905/6 hardy perfect. caught one, called it a (very good) day! a good new year to all.
regards, jim w

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Yesterday I fished my Thramer 4 weight. The river was low and clear and the day was hot so I had to go right down in tippet and fly size. Managed a few lively brownies. The highlight was a tiger snake on the bush path. Given that the tiger is the fourth most venomous snake in the world, I decided to give him right of way. Even when he moved away and I passed, he turned and flicked his tongue as if to say, "This is my territory, so look out!" Always a thrill - of sorts.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

PT48 wrote:
01/05/21 19:03
Yesterday I fished my Thramer 4 weight. The river was low and clear and the day was hot so I had to go right down in tippet and fly size. Managed a few lively brownies. The highlight was a tiger snake on the bush path. Given that the tiger is the fourth most venomous snake in the world, I decided to give him right of way. Even when he moved away and I passed, he turned and flicked his tongue as if to say, "This is my territory, so look out!" Always a thrill - of sorts.
Is that Tasmania where Tiger Snakes live? Beautiful looking snake, I imagine living down south and being outdoorsy you have to get good at IDing those fancy snakes you guys have down there!
Reference fly fishing, I'll be getting flies wet 14-22 in South West Florida, I have a date with Mr Snook.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Two rods for steelhead this week, a 9-foot South Bend 53 and an 8 1/2-foot Orvis Shooting Star equipped with a custom handle in place of the usual fighting butt (the handle, which converts the SS into a two-handed rod, was originally custom-ordered for an 8-foot Battenkill that I bought used a couple of years ago. Turns out it fits all of my Orvis rods with detachable fighting butts.) No big fish tested these rods, but there were some eager little guys willing to take a whack at nymphs and swung flies.

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

JS Sharpes 13' spliced 8/9 rod I recently purchase from site member Jim Elie. Swam a General Practitioner down some steelhead riffles today.

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

8’6” Winchester e w edwards era 4wt and 1915 9 ‘ 4wt fe Thomas ... really loving the longer rods gonna take my Leonard 46 Catskill 9’ 2wt into the park tomorrow for some wilds!! I Took it to a creek loaded with wild rainbows today with my daughter love how even the little guys give a nice tug

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Looking at that bottom picture -- "little guys"? :rollin

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

8’ 4 3/8 oz Orvis Battenkill matched with a beat up St. George... pretty close to ice fishing since most of my favorite spots were frozen over bank to bank. Think I’ll ski tomorrow!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Doing a winter trip up to the Eastern Sierra region on Friday, should have excellent 60s weather (fish though may be an issue, I think some rivers are fished out..."covid fishing.") I think I've settled on three sticks: 7 1/2' Perfectionist for DT5, 7 1/2' Caenis for DT3, and a rod I've had for over a year and haven't fished, a very early 7 1/2' Marvel, DT3. But maybe just one more, hm.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

9' 6 oz. Phillipson Peerless

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Jon Parker 7'9" 5 wt with a Peerless No. 2, DT-5 and a couple of weighted stonefly nymphs..... Great rod for turning fish in high water.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Today I fished my Dennis Stone five weight paired with a Hardy Duchess reel. It is a strong rod and perhaps a bit too much for my chosen stream. The fishing was off the boil (probably due to a very cold, near Autumn morning) and I hooked a mere brace of brownies. I am going to have to switch to afternoons now. Unfortunately the stream was still discoloured from recent rain. It disturbs me that not much rain at all causes sullying in many Southern Tasmanian streams. There is just too much logging of old growth forests going on in the catchment zones. Teter, you will be pleased to know that, at one stage, a platypus came barrelling down the river and skedaddled when it got the merest glimpse of me.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Today, the same peerless no 2 with a blackburn 3 pc 8’6” rod and some black stonefly dries and weighted nymphs.....

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

This afternoon I did a hellmtflies and went into some very remote country to get away from the madding crowd. It was a good choice because I found plenty of rising browns that were eager to take my fly. Only problem is that tonight the ageing body is protesting vigorously about the treatment that I put it through. I used a 4/5 that was perfect for the difficult casting challenges that such streams present - lots of roll casting, water-loaded casting, side and off the opposite shoulder casting.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The only thing I've been swinging is a snow shovel and snowblower.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Man does that sound familiar!!! The streams open year 'round here in Central NY State are locked in with ice and we're socked in with some snow and cold as well. I've had to rake the roof on my house more than once - lots of weight in a few feet of snow.

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

PYochim, same here. SW Montana.
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello, fished a spalding top flite made by heddon - briefly - yesterday with 1905/1906 perfect. casts well even in below freezing conditions. still cannot post images. regards, jim w

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

President's Day

Art Weiler - Payne 98

In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”