Dyeing silk fly line?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dyeing silk fly line?

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I have some Rit #34 Taupe powder and will report back after the dip...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

I would not use anything hotter than lukewarm water to dye a silk line, knowing silk's propensity to shrink. And I don't know if the dye would take at such a temperature, I do wish you the best of luck.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

What colour of floating line is best? All the debate on flyline colour has been concentrated on appearances in the air, and on the water in the window. The photograph below reveals the truth…that it is not the line in the air or in the window that should be considered, but the line on the water in the mirror. The white flyline, although it causes a degree of flash in the air, is most of the time less visible to the trout. But it falls like a flash of white lightening across all the water surrounding the trout…across the mirror.
Wouldn't a black colored fly line landing on the mirror appear to be an earthquake splitting the mirror? I don't understand how a lightning bolt in the mirror is less frightening to a trout than an earthquake.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Since catching large fish is relatively easy (think bull moose and grizzly - not too many natuaral enemies prey on them) compared to catching the much smaller specimans (who are worried about: 1) choking on big insects, 2) getting eaten by slightly larger fish or 3) speared by small birds such as kingfishers, or 4) clawed to death by ospey and eagles, or 5) eaten by really big fish (even while in a medium size fish's mouth), or 6) having their brain impailed by a size 12 hook), I like to give the bigger fish a sporting chance by using pink, bright green, or straw colored lines. Sure the big trout might see my line as lightening, but lightening happens in nature so I'm not roo worried if the ocassional big trout doesn't see it as bright fly line.

Tight lines,
Joe

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”