Favorite Garrison taper

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

JHolton
Sport

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by JHolton »

What is your favorite Garrison taper? I want to try one out this summer and wondered if there is a concensus favorite.
Thanks,
Jack

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by Bucktrout »

pmag
Master Guide

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by pmag »

7' 9" 209E by Rick Cunningham.

Maine Cane

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by Maine Cane »

201E

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I have long been a Garrison fan, and like them all. For a first effort, I would suggest the 209 or 209E. Be aware that there is a typo in "the book" in the 209 taper at the 55" station. The correct dimension is .224. , not .234 I note that this found it's way into the Rod DNA program as well. I don't know if it was corrected in later editions of the book.
Also be aware that the Garrison tapers were designed to produce good casting performance with minimum weight. You can mess them up with excess weight on the rod shaft. I usually build them with truncated ferrules, and stick to the type of guides and minimalist wrapping, as suggested in the book.
The 209/209E taper have enough weight that they are easy for most people to control, but not so much weight as to feel heavy to a modern angler.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by billems »

My favorite Garrison is Keillor (I'm from Minnesota). Seriously, I've never cast an original; but Jenkins rods are variations (and many say, improvements) of Garrison tapers. And I love them.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by creakycane »

Jenkins GA-80 3pc for a 4/5 - which took some nice browns and rainbows from the Firehole and Madison at 3 dollar this week!

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by Bucktrout »

Here's a picture of a nice wild brown that I landed last night on my 193 repro. This 193 was made by Rick Cunningham and I believe he said he tweaked it slightly. I can easily cast 12' of leader or boom out 50' of line if needed. I like this rod so much I've often thought about giving up my larger rods......

The rod nicely handled this strong fish on a light tippet and small fly even when the fish darted downstream

Eric

matsoberg
Master Guide

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by matsoberg »

204E

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Favorite Garrison taper

Post by fishbum »

Since some have added some modified Garrisons, let me add mine. A 209E shortened to 7' 6" and hollow built. This rod works well with only the leader out of the tip top or if necessary (and if you are a good caster) you can cast all 90 feet of fly line. Most comfortable between 15 feet and 60 feet. I also have a hollow version of the 212E in a 7 weight that I use for steelhead and a 9 foot, 9 weight version of the 221 that is hollow that I use for salmon fishing. I LIKE THEM ALL!

fishbum

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Garrison taper

Post by Eddie Southgate »

209 or 209E

OOOPS ! Just noticed how old this is , sorry for waking the dead . :rollin
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Dave in Maine
Guide

Post by Dave in Maine »

202E. Art Weiler built it for me in '99 or 2000 as a straight-up repro.

I fish mine with a Peerless reel and a DT4, one of the old grey Spring Creek lines.

I figure, if when he died Garrison had for himself only a 202E and one of his salmon rods in his closet, as those were his favorites, that's good enough for me.

I fished the Little Lehigh and other limestoners with this rod quite frequently. Fished it out West, too - caught a big cutt up in Slough Creek with it. It's about perfect for waters like those. Once, at a bamboo gathering along the Little Lehigh, I handed it off to an older gent who'd known Garrison and had fished his rods. His opinion was that Art's work was indistinguishable in all aspects from Garrison's.

I would agree with a lot of the commenters upthread, though, that the 209 or the 209E is probably more versatile.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Maybe slightly off subject, but I stripped my 7'8" Tonka Queen and used the Garrison 7'9" guide spacing which put 7 snakes on the tip and 2 snakes and stripper on the butt and that simple alteration turned the rod into a cannon. I was skeptical as it seemed like overkill, but that gentleman knew his
"stuff"!!!

Brier549
Guide

Post by Brier549 »

209e made by Munsey Wheby, it does anything I ask it to.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Haven't cast a real Garrison yet. But the Jenkins 8-footer is reputed to be based on the Garrison taper. I do know however that they tinkered with it. GA80 Jenkins rods (GA stands for Garrison) are fine casting rods.

Anders Johannesson
Sport

Post by Anders Johannesson »

My favorit taper since the seventies is without any shadow of daubt 212E. But the 218 is also a wonderful rod.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

212 and 212e

Quoting Sommers website : If you could not enjoy this rod forget bamboo.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

At first I thought you asked "Granger" (8642). But I'd say the 212 only because it's the closest thing to a universal rod I've come across. short of steelhead or salt, of course. but if you were to have only ONE fly rod...

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”