Black Flies

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

tonkin67
Master Guide

Black Flies

Post by tonkin67 »

Anyone know of a good repellant ? Deet does not work.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

Mainiac
Master Guide

Re: Black Flies

Post by Mainiac »

I fish exclusively at ground zero for black flies in the lower 48, Northwestern Maine. The only thing I've ever used that works and works well is the original formula of Natrapel. Unfortunately, like all great things, a large company bought up this small company and I think the formula has changed. I did however buy all I could of the old formula before it became unavailable. I have 4 or 5 cans left and it is getting old. I'm not sure if it will eventually lose it effectiveness a little or go bad.

Anyway, the link below has a photo of what the old formula looked like. You may find some online if you really search but I doubt it. Perhaps an out of the way hardware or sporting goods store in no-where-ville might have a dusty can or two. But it's been unavailable now for 6-7 years.

The new stuff might work also but I have not tried it. As an added bonus, the old formula does not eat varnish off of bamboo rods.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Long sleeve pearl button shirts and a hat! There are a lot of nasty chemical concoctions for horses that work, but I would not use em on my skin. Lemon eucalyptus dabbed on your hat and shirt seems pretty effective, but sometimes nothing works on the clouds of the beastly vermin! I have in the past dabbed horse fly spray on my hat to provide some relief.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

I should also add; I use the natrapel spray together with buzz-off shirts. Orvis, LL Bean, and Ex-Officio used to sell them. Not sure who does now. They do work a little on their own but together with the spray, work very well . Only drawback is they lose their effectiveness after washing a few times, but who needs to wash a fishing shirt? I hang mine outside in the wind and it never smells.

I am speaking of effectiveness in conditions in which most people could not go outside. So this is no small achievement.

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Mainiac wrote:...original formula of Natrapel....
Same here. Last summer in AK I was almost as happy with Sawyer's 20% picaridin. Put both to the test this winter on Florida's nasty noseeums, and they worked a treat.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

I use this for black flies up near Canada and it's good for out on the boat.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Ultrathon ... ductDetail

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

At the risk of being politically incorrect I would suggest a good cigar.

donkeyhunter007
Guide

Post by donkeyhunter007 »

Avon skin so soft products have worked for me

No deet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

For Quetico and Boundary Waters I rely on a combination of 90%+ DEET, a good headnet with underarm straps to hold it down, fingerless mesh gloves, and long sleeve buzz-off shirts. All other clothes are treated with permethrin for ticks. I don't know if that helps for black flies or not. A good (or bad) cigar or 2 in the canoe helps as well. Going to BW in less than 2 weeks. Hope I won't need the black fly protection but I'm ready anyway.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

hatch wrote:At the risk of being politically incorrect I would suggest a good cigar.
Yes :D

Ed Pirie
Guide

Post by Ed Pirie »

Gosh, when I used to smoke a pipe, it was the best damn repellant I have ever used. I would have a constant wreath of tobacco smoke around my head and shoulders. The bugs just stayed away, as well as most of humanity (maybe that was a good trade).

I quit smoke my pipe about 17 years ago and I get eaten like everyone does. I should do a break-even analysis and see if it is worth it to take up the pipe again. I always liked McBarren's Scottish Blend - very nice.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

kevin2
Guide

Post by kevin2 »

I use a head net, 2 face masks for my face and top of my head, long sleeves, and gloves. I don't get to many bites in the summer & they are everywhere when I'm fishing. I started wearing one of those Simms' long sleeve UPF 50 with BugStopper enbedded AND that really helps. I fish in some hot weather & into the cold nights, and it is a great addition to my fishing gear for sun, cold, and bugs.

I hate deet!

This is my current set up SHORT my head net, which is in the next photo! The combo really keeps me free of any bites. I don't put the head net over my face until it is awful at dark usually.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

The treatment in Buzz Off type shirts is permethrin. You can buy Sawyer's brand permethrin at REI and treat your shirts and pants by spraying it on. Plant-based insecticide, works well and is non-toxic when used as directed. Not for your skin or on hats, but does what those treated shirts do. Lasts for several washes.

dshx
Master Guide

Re: Black Flies (Ticks in this case)

Post by dshx »

16pmd wrote:The treatment in Buzz Off type shirts is permethrin. You can buy Sawyer's brand permethrin at REI and treat your shirts and pants by spraying it on. Plant-based insecticide, works well and is non-toxic when used as directed. Not for your skin or on hats, but does what those treated shirts do. Lasts for several washes.
I realize the thread concerns black flies but I just tried the Sawyer's permethrin clothing treatment product yesterday after being a transport vehicle to numerous ticks and a host to one tick the prior week. No bites while using the permithrin product but I did notice the ticks still hitch-hiked on my clothing - I didn't wait to check if they would eventually release.

I was previously using a 20% picaridin product but it didn't seem to deter the tick that bit me. I will say at that time I only sprayed my clothing with the picaridin product and not my skin so the fault probably lies with me.

-Dwight

Silver rat
Guide

Post by Silver rat »

Black fly season just getting started here. Was given a container of No-Bite-Me and it seems to work. Contains no Deet. According to the label it is a blend of essential oils in a concentrated moisturizing base.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

hatch wrote:At the risk of being politically incorrect I would suggest a good cigar.
Don't you maybe mean a bad cigar? A real stinker, like a Parodi--which looks like cat shit and smells like it was soaked in wine, because it was? And which you won't mind dropping in the river when setting the hook when a strike takes you by surprise? You wouldn't be happy watching a Cubano float away....

bb

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

I, too, treat my clothing with Sawyer's Permethrin. Long sleeve quick dry shirt, long quick dry pants, socks, everything. All get doused pre-season. It lasts for several washings. Frankly, I don't bother washing those items. The permethrin keeps bugs away. The funk of unwashed clothing keeps people away...

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I picked this stuff up a few years ago on a trip to Maine, it was highly recommended at the time by a guide. "Ole Time" Woodsman Fly dope. It has been around since 1882 and was developed by northwoods loggers. You don't apply it to your skin directly but to a kerchief or another piece of clothing. It smells of pine tar

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Use a cigar to ward off clouds of black flies in Maine; they will slap you, take it from you, and smoke it.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Weren't Parodis Robert Traver cigars?

Jay Edwards

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”