Do you use Tippet Rings?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Holdover
Guide

Re: Do you use Tippet Rings?

Post by Holdover »

Doublegun wrote:I have used them. They are fine, until you screw up a cast and have a birds nest in your leader. Seem like the mess is always at the ring.
Because of this thread I've ordered some to try. The above comments isue seems like a bit of a pain though...not unlike how knots also trend at your split or indicator. Still looking foreword to trying it.

dplucker61

Post by dplucker61 »

Yes, definitely use them and love them! Makes changing tippet so much easier and extends the life of the leader exponentially. And contrary to popular belief, they are very easy to use if you leave it on the clip and don't remove it until its tied to the end of the leader. The only "trick" is making sure the one you've separated to tie on is on the end of the ring that unclips! Otherwise, you're either re-tying or worse, sliding them all off to get to the one you tied-and you DON"T want to do that! I tie my own leaders and noticed in this thread, someone used Pliobond to cover the knots to prevent them from hanging up on the guides. Does anyone else use this? Does it really work? If so, I'm running out to get a tube now!! Thanks

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I tried the Rio 2mm ones today. A royal pain in the ass.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

For those that don't care for them, please drop them in an envelope and send them to me. Love them.

skykomish

Post by skykomish »

I like them for nymphing and swinging soft hackles. I use the Rio 2mm rings.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Tippet rings, remind me of the problem, I have with commas.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”