Down Locking Screw versus Up Locking

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Trains&Canes
Guide

Re: Down Locking Screw versus Up Locking

Post by Trains&Canes »

I have not noticed any changes in my casting style or hand position from the different styles of reel seats. I have never consciously picked a certain rod and reel combination for a certain stream or lake because of the reel seat construction. Even the grips don't influence me that much, except I will have to say that some of the old diminutive grips Leonard made are too small in my hands. I love those rods anyway, and any adjustments I make in casting are quick and mostly unconscious. I have two Summers 856 rods, with different reel seats. One grip has a small thumb print like many Paul Young rods, and I actually like that, but not enough to modify other rods. Rod length, action, line and reel balance are all more important factors to me.
Mark

Golfswithwolves
Guide

Post by Golfswithwolves »

Oxbow wrote:Then again, all the Payne rods I see for sale have the up locking reel seat, and those makers knew a little something about casting based on the excellent tapers they produced. No Payne expert here but I don't recall seeing a Payne down locking seat?
My Payne rod has a downlocking cap/ring seat. So if Mr. Payne made his rods with both types of reel seats, I reckon I can get along with either.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

Downlocking for me. It's mostly a cosmetic thing. I grew up admiring and coveting fly rods, and they were all downlocking. Uplocking seats have always looked peculiar to me. I only use them on saltwater rods.

Dark Waters
Sport

Post by Dark Waters »

I have a strong preference for downlocking, cap and ring in particular. It just looks and feels right. Especially my Winston and Thomas all cork cap and ring rods, my favorite grip/seat style. Though, I recently took ownership of an old Leonard with rattan grip and mortised reel seat which is pretty $&’! sweet.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

There are very strong and epidemical views on this very subject.

Scriptures: Very I say yea shall bring a plague of asps upon your house if yea dare lie with that down locking screw. Up shall be the screw of the godly.

Unlike this, some modern views of the Bamboo Gospels take a different view.

Modern verse: Bring not to me a down locking screw. As it will cause thy ass and oxen to turn away and run. Thus, is the path of the true believer to the belief of the down.

Not daring to cross either of these doctrines, I will from this day forward tie my reel on with string.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Silver Doctor wrote:There are very strong and epidemical views on this very subject.

Scriptures: Very I say yea shall bring a plague of asps upon your house if yea dare lie with that down locking screw. Up shall be the screw of the godly.

Unlike this, some modern views of the Bamboo Gospels take a different view.

Modern verse: Bring not to me a down locking screw. As it will cause thy ass and oxen to turn away and run. Thus, is the path of the true believer to the belief of the down.

Not daring to cross either of these doctrines, I will from this day forward tie my reel on with string.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Maybe we just carry the fly line in our pocket eh!!!!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Tenkara......

Rons Rods
Sport

Post by Rons Rods »

One of the best reasons I've found for the UL seat is it keeps your reel off the ground if you lean the rod against anything. Other than that, its all about the action! I'll take either if the rod can hit the the rise ring.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”