Down Locking Screw versus Up Locking

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Oxbow
Master Guide

Down Locking Screw versus Up Locking

Post by Oxbow »

I could not find this topic doing a search. I have owned a couple of up-locking screw reel seats but mostly down-locking (unless it's a down-locking cap and ring). I had some trouble with the fly line winding around the extended butt when using the up-locking and eventually sold them off except one. I suspect this is probably solved with better line control on my part and should have stuck with them longer. I don't seem to have that happening with the down locking seats.
But I noticed that I liked having the reel under my hand more with the up-locking seat as it seemed to help with the balance or it just felt more natural on the cast. I have also noticed that with the down-locking seats there is a lot of space from the end of the cork until the beginning of the reel foot to leave room for the threaded part of the reel seat. I can't say that is a problem but it seems to put the reel pretty far back from your hand (probably a good thing if using too light a reel).
I would like to know your experiences and what you prefer and why?

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Re: Down Locking Screw versus Up Locking

Post by uniphasian »

I find that my rod-hand is most comfortable positioned as far toward the butt of the rod as possible, with the heel of my hand often on the reel seat. The farther toward the butt the reel sits, the better. With this hand position, fishtail cork grips are annoying though. I prefer the grip to taper right down to the seat diameter.

That said, I still enjoy uplocking Howells and Payne rods. That little nub sticking out isn't a hindrance for me.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Really depends on length and what you're presenting. However, downlockers can help with balance and weirdly help with line control (extra line rarely wraps on the butt cap). Most older makers prefer them.

I prefer to have the reel under the heel of my hand, though, and often lean towards grips that allow my hand to hold it lower. IMO the classic Scott grip is the GOAT.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I like up-locking better. I like my hand further up the grip area. Just "feels" better to me. I also think that up-locking reel seats are stronger. Maybe more perception than reality though.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

DrLogik wrote:I like up-locking better. I like my hand further up the grip area. Just "feels" better to me. I also think that up-locking reel seats are stronger. Maybe more perception than reality though.
The one up-locking seat I still have also feels right to me, but with different reel weights and rod weights I sometimes think it's a crap shoot to get just the perfect "feel".

I also do not use the fish tail grips due to the constriction on my hand placement. The tapered down to the reel seat grips seem to fit me best and frees up my hand to be moved where the cast feels best. Here is a nice example from builder Mark McKellip.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Depends on the rod. On short, light rods I prefer a cap & ring. On 8-8½' 5 & 6 weights, a down locker. On big fish rods, an up locking seat with enough of the seat behind the reel that I can reel with the rod butt jammed into my gut. So at least a short fighting butt. That in spite of the problem with the line occasionally wrapping around the seat.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I prefer up locking. One time I was fly fishing and the butt cap came off the reel seat. By the time the reel fell off, the butt cap was gone for good and never found. At least with an up locking reel seat the threaded ring will hold the on reel pretty well, at least till you notice that something is amiss! That doesn't mean all my rods have up locking reel seats. but when I am fishing with the down locking type, I keep a closer eye on things.

That is one of those instances where you learn from the experience, instead getting the experience and then learning!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Down locking. Only reel seat that I have had issue with is n up locker. I use cap and ring for most of my rods
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Franknrod
Guide

Post by Franknrod »

I also prefer uplocking. Regardless of the size of the rod, the slight butt extension becomes a "fighting butt" I can brace against my hip when fighting a big fish without interfering with the reel action.

I only wish that this solution was necessary on more of my fishing trips! :-)
Frank Payne

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

For some reason, the rods I built for myself are down locking.

Most of the high end rods I purchased are uplocking.

I get along with both and don't give it much thought.

I know it is my casting faults, but I don't like it when my fly line wraps around the butt of the uplocking rods. And I never use the butt as a fighting butt.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Over the decades, I've built up several dozen rod blanks for people, with both types of reelseats, but all those for myself have been down locking. I like to be able to scoot my hand back onto the reel sometimes and the short exposed butt doesn't tangle as often. I do own both on some factory built rods, tho.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Then again, all the Payne rods I see for sale have the up locking reel seat, and those makers knew a little something about casting based on the excellent tapers they produced. No Payne expert here but I don't recall seeing a Payne down locking seat?

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Down locking or cap and ring .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Either one works for me.
If it's uplocking, the weight of the reel tends to keep the nut from unscrewing. Downlocking sometimes works loose.

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

Oxbow:

Uplocking seats are definitely the predominate Payne locking seat style, but the downlocking seat with the "acorn" butt cap is gorgeous:

https://www.vintageflytackle.com/produc ... mboo-rod-1

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Down locking for me, I do not think the hand position makes much difference, it has to do with finding the right reel and line to balance a given rod, this is why I need so many reels!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

uniphasian wrote:I find that my rod-hand is most comfortable positioned as far toward the butt of the rod as possible, with the heel of my hand often on the reel seat. The farther toward the butt the reel sits, the better. With this hand position, fishtail cork grips are annoying though. I prefer the grip to taper right down to the seat diameter.
What he said. Have a few of each and they're fine but downlocking is preference.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Cap and ring is fine. So is down-locking. I don't really have problems with either up/down locking. So, for me, I guess it's pure esthetics.

Pat

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

snorider wrote:Down locking for me, I do not think the hand position makes much difference, it has to do with finding the right reel and line to balance a given rod, this is why I need so many reels!

I hate to keep quoting this sno-man guy here :lol ;) but his logic just hits my hot button, esp. regarding reels... :lol

All of my rods have the down-locking, slip-ring style, save for one (a wonderful 7'9" 3/2 3wt Bill Oyster rod) and I really wish it didn't, I honestly do!!

I much prefer a down-locking slip ring. (- an' I can still manage to get the line wrapped around the reel on occasion)

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

thegubster wrote:
snorider wrote:Down locking for me, I do not think the hand position makes much difference, it has to do with finding the right reel and line to balance a given rod, this is why I need so many reels!
I hate to keep quoting this sno-man guy here :lol ;) but his logic just hits my hot button, esp. regarding reels... :lol

+1 regarding so many reels - then I get another one and it changes the matching around on another 2 or 3 or 4 reels it seems like. A fun game anyway!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”