Who cuts back the tip of their fly lines?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who cuts back the tip of their fly lines?

Post by DrLogik »

I only cut the end of my lines if they come with a loop. In those cases I cut the loop off and install a Moser's Minicon loop instead. Got hooked on them years ago.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Especially for bamboo, I love the Zap-a-gap line leader splice. I’ve read many accounts of them failing. I’ve never had one fail, except when I did a half-fast job of just sticking the butt section up into the core with glue.

When done right, with the needle going thru the side of the flyline, butt section sanded, covered in glue, and pulled back into the core, and then the butt material cut flush with the side of the flyline, it is really strong......at least mine are. And you can leader cast thru tiny tip-tops.

jburnett

Post by jburnett »

DrLogik, I'm thinking of using a Moser's loop on a Phoenix silk line. Have you had any problems with water getting into the silk line and not being able to dry and then rotting? Or does the Moser's loop seal off the line? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

I haven't ever cut one back, but do occasionally trim off the ends to splice in a length of leader

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”