Moving to Billings, MT

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

taylor16
Sport

Moving to Billings, MT

Post by taylor16 »

Hello everyone- After living in Bozeman, MT for the last few years, I’m relocating a couple of hours East to Billings. Haven’t fished the Stillwater or the Big Horn before. Any recommendations to explore? I’m sure there are some great waters in the area.

jimwright
Master Guide

Re: Moving to Billings, MT

Post by jimwright »

You will be close to the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone near Red Lodge as well as Rock Creek and it's forks. If you continue up along the Beartooth Range's eastern front there are numerous smaller creeks such as east and west rosebud and just a bit further up is the Stillwater River. In the Absaroka/Beartooth Wilderness there are numerous high altitude small creeks and lakes many of which hold golden trout and some grayling. I lived in Billings for 2 years in the 70s and spent a lot of time in the Wilderness Area and it is absolutely gorgeous, in my opinion Glacier National Park has nothing on it.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

There is the Boulder nearby which is good but it gets de-watered on the lower portion. Also the west fork but you have to drive to the end of the road about 25 miles, it's all private. There is a small FS CG there. You can then hike up to some really good fishing along a trail about 3 miles.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Billings, though a rather dreary town, is a fantastic jumping off location for a trout fisherman. Red Lodge, Yellowstone Park, Livingston, are all within a few hours drive.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Billings is a fairly close drive to some very good spots. There are some high lakes that have offer some interesting exploring options. Slough Lakes and Souix Charlie are a couple of lesser known spots that are easy hikes
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:popcorn
billems wrote:Billings, though a rather dreary town, is a fantastic jumping off location for a trout fisherman. Red Lodge, Yellowstone Park, Livingston, are all within a few hours drive.

"Dreary" is an excellent description. Every time I go there I feel like I'm back in New Jersey. :)

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Mark, as I said, I lived in Billings in the 70s and in my initial post did not mention the Yellowstone which runs through town. I actually enjoyed it there but remember it seemed the residents completely forgot the previous winter judging by all the cars spinning through stop signs and red lights during the first snow and/or ice storm.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I disagree that Billings is is dreary. It has grittiness that remains but has a lot to offer. I used to spend every August there until I was about 18. After that I have returned every summer for the past 30 years. Billings is an industrial town that is transitioning. The farmer’s market during the summer is fantastic
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Has a very cool fly shop.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Webfly wrote:Has a very cool fly shop.
I'll agree with that. Probably the most well stocked fly shop regarding materials that I've ever been in anywhere.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”