Corona virus and fishing pressure.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jacknoir
Sport

Re: Corona virus and fishing pressure.

Post by jacknoir »

I can't imagine having to resort to those manifestly unsatisfying computer/phone "fishing games." And as much as I love lawn casting, doing that exclusively all summer would, definitely, drive me crazy.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

This was last Thursday. The next day was lockdown here in Colorado. Because I walked in a fair piece, it wasn't too crowded (the rest of the river was gonzo). It might have also been uncrowded because this stretch, while seemingly very beautiful, is also seemingly devoid of fish. I think that we can technically still go fishing here (in Colorado), just not sure where I'd want to do that now.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I believe NJ is going to see a spike in Fishing License purchases. What are the Soccer Mom's & Dad's to do with all organized sports cancelled ? Take the kid fishing I guess!

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Happily those Duffer's will mostly be hanging around easy to get to spots. I find that generally a short walk will most likely put one on undisturbed water as it always does.

I doubt the restrictions will last much longer anyways, except of course the sensible ones, the economy couldn't take it. All the models will, as most models do, fail miserably, for better of worse, hopefully for better which is most likely.

I think social distancing will become the norm for the next year though, it certainly will for me.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Interesting to note, listening to the news from the UK (BBC) and here in Canada (CBC) , numbers of deaths are often mentioned 'with the virus' rather than 'from the virus'…

Malcolm

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Yea, I had to walk about half a mile yesterday to get away from people. I did find nicer water than what I was looking to fish, though. Got a fatty, too.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

When I encounter other fisherman in my favorite runs I just go fish other water in the vicinity and have been pleasantly surprised by some of the results, other favorite sections appear that I had previously walked by.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Man, when I was younger and before I discovered "the book," I would walk all the time. Some days I would walk an hour in the wrong direction, and some days I'd discover water that I still go back to.

Best is when you have train tracks to take back to your car so you feel less inclined to turn around just as you might be discovering great new water

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I actually called the MT FWP last week and encouraged the biologist to track fish harvests from the Gallatin River. I witnessed at least a dozen spin fisherman with big stringers of trout leaving the river last Tuesday. I was very pleased when the biologist got back to me on Monday and said he would start to actively monitor fish harvests on the river. He agreed that there was far more traffic on the river than he expected last week.

Hey at least they are watching. I have concerns that there is going to be an over harvest of the lower river with all the free time and the need for free food among the legions of service industry workers now displaced from their jobs in our valley.

I have been hoping to see catch and release requirements on the lower Gallatin for decades, this fishery gets worked over by our millions of tourists and locals alike, almost every large trout in the lower river system that bites a hook ends up on a plate. The size class of fish in the lower river is almost exclusively 8"-12" fish, while the historically documented 25-30" trout have all but disappeared from the river system. This is a trophy fishery that has been reduced to just millions of little snitters. Would love to see C&R sections of the lower river at the least.
Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

snorider wrote:I actually called the MT FWP last week and encouraged the biologist to track fish harvests from the Gallatin River. I witnessed at least a dozen spin fisherman with big stringers of trout leaving the river last Tuesday. I was very pleased when the biologist got back to me on Monday and said he would start to actively monitor fish harvests on the river. He agreed that there was far more traffic on the river than he expected last week.

Hey at least they are watching.

The size class of fish in the lower river is almost exclusively 8"-12" fish, while the historically documented 25-30" trout have all but disappeared from the river system. This is a trophy fishery that has been reduced to just millions of little snitters. Would love to see C&R sections of the lower river at the least.
Michael
Wish there were many more people like you around Michael. It takes some of the more concerned to speak up rather than just complain and see there's some sort of follow-up!

I'm not so sure it's a lack of food or just that these people can just get away with the times as they are now...I'm really not! Thank you for taking action.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

It’s not lack of food so much as lack of money. Most folks were living paycheck to paycheck and as this goes on more and more folks are going to need to do something. I have a good friend here who is game warden and I asked him when guys are going to be allowed to start taking deer as a sustenance aid. He said it’s been discussed but we’re not there yet. We’re going to be. Pawn shops in the area and around the county are reporting a huge uptick in folks trying to hock the computers the schools have sent home for online schooling. So much of all this debate has missed the effects on the largest cross section of our population. The stimulus may be a band aid, but thats all it’ll be. The “snow day” feel is starting to wear off and the reality is setting in.

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Well those of us in Alaska are stuck cross country skiing or staying at home!
My downhill ski resorts (2) are both closed
River has 1-3 feet of ice depth
Lakes 4’
So one can ice fish if they want ;(
It pushed me to get back to restoring and old sports car so that’s a good thing!
As for fishing pressure it could get worse on the weekends
But I try to fish only during the week
Looks like I’ll just have to walk father and drive farther if our streams get crowded which I don’t think will happen but we’ll see!
Dave

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

The Eastern Sierra fishing spots in CA are getting "closed". LADWP has closed parking areas and camping on its land through which the Owens river runs. "They" say it's to keep the Rock Climbers out but, vandals have slashed tires, granted, only 1 incident that I know of so far on Hot Creek, of vehicles they "don't know". With my career at a standstill, I can't afford new tires because of idiots. Cities in route act like we have leprosy and are out to get their toilet paper. Those in the Kern River area have also expressed their thoughts online about bringing our diseased, unwashed selves through their hamlet. Although, we were thanked last week for coming in and spending money... And encountered 4 people along the river who were all about 100 feet or more away.

In all my trips, I can, and do so exclusively now, travel self-contained with my only contact being gloved hands on gasoline pumps and the occasional bathroom. My caveat is offered here because there is no way on Earth that I am contacting people when I go fishing but, I have to un-distance in order to get food and supplies for home at any market. The aisles aren't even 6 feet wide and people use cash with bare hands. Cash is the dirtiest thing in my possession. The Sierra gets "closed" but, Target and Costco are open.

My sadness comes that when this is done, all the panic will be justified by our culture because of their perceived version of safety on our behalves and all that will actually be achieved, besides financial hardship and a lot of ruin, is that Panic is now a preferred response to crises. Yes, the virus is not good, but it's not a civilization killer, and it will be found to be less of a killer than is predicted.

I can't wait until the nanny lets me out.

Thank you.

Bob
Last edited by Titelines on 04/05/20 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for profanity

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Amen!
Know the reasons for your actions

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

baughb wrote:The Eastern Sierra fishing spots in CA are getting "closed". LADWP has closed parking areas and camping on its land through which the Owens river runs. "They" say it's to keep the Rock Climbers out but, vandals have slashed tires, granted, only 1 incident that I know of so far on Hot Creek, of vehicles they "don't know". With my career at a standstill, I can't afford new tires because of idiots. Cities in route act like we have leprosy and are out to get their toilet paper. Those in the Kern River area have also expressed their thoughts online about bringing our diseased, unwashed selves through their hamlet. Although, we were thanked last week for coming in and spending money... And encountered 4 people along the river who were all about 100 feet or more away.

In all my trips, I can, and do so exclusively now, travel self-contained with my only contact being gloved hands on gasoline pumps and the occasional bathroom. My caveat is offered here because there is no way on Earth that I am contacting people when I go fishing but, I have to un-distance in order to get food and supplies for home at any market. The aisles aren't even 6 feet wide and people use cash with bare hands. Cash is the dirtiest thing in my possession. The Sierra gets "closed" but, Target and Costco are open.

My sadness comes that when this is done, all the panic will be justified by our culture because of their perceived version of safety on our behalves and all that will actually be achieved, besides financial hardship and a lot of ruin, is that Panic is now a preferred response to crises. Yes, the virus is not good, but it's not a civilization killer, and it will be found to be less of a killer than is predicted.

I can't wait until the nanny lets me out.

Thank you.

Bob
I recently got back from a multi day trip to northern California waters where I also was totally self contained. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Having said that, if I had been "caught" then subsequently fined and or arrested by local authorities I would have accepted my fate and would have no one to blame but myself. There are plenty of shortsighted idiots out there who have no concern for anyone but themselves. How are authorities supposed to know who is who? For all they know I'm stopping at gas stations sans gloves, staying at a hotel or with a friend who lives locally. There's also the risk that if they tolerate it for a few it might encourage others.

As for locals viewing people suspiciously, who can blame them. If they're fortunate enough to not have any cases in their county, all it would take is someone from another area or one of their own traveling outside then bringing it back with them. Keep in mind many locales have limited health resources or a long ways to go to a major hospital.

Ultimately, the only way to keep the death toll down is through vigilance. Right now that means sheltering in place and extreme social distancing measures. Once the curve flattens and it is under control some/most restrictions will be lifted, but testing will be needed to watch for a return of outbreaks. When that happens, they can hopefully contain them through contact tracing and limited quarantines. In all likelihood this will only be over-with when we have a vaccine or reach a point of heard immunity. It's going to be awhile.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Update from the Ozarks.

All of our state trout parks are closed. I get that as they stand elbow to elbow and walk over the top of one. A good number of other spots have closed the restroom facilities as well as any food services. Boat ramps on some are closed. Was totally surprised to find that Lane Spring part of Mark Twain US Forrest service was closed to camping, restrooms and...day use! ??? US Forrest service land?

In a university town close by Lane Spring, playground equipment is roped off. I can understand that. Hiking trails are open. Golf course is open [ ?! ] social distancing is expected throughout.

What astounds me really is the apparent lack of consistency across all of this. Golf courses are open, fishing is closed. Homeless are exempt from the orders, yet is that not a highly susceptible segment of society deserving of a bit more care than...?

In theory the Conservation areas are still open, but only primitive access.

Will see what happens after the April 6 order takes effect and look for how many fishing boats are running up the Missouri river after that.

Have no faith in anything but herd immunity.

baughb: yup.

snorider: one of my big concerns about our entire wildlife situation here in MO. My mom used to tell me that she did not see a deer until she was a teenager. She was born in 1929 and lived on a farm along the MO river. Let that sink in guys. Turkey had to be reintroduced into MO after the Depression.

rsagebrush: uh, yeah. Dig deep into the stats.

lloyd3: You mean CO is ahead of MO and you cannot go fishing anywhere?

Rmorrison: agreed, agreed, agreed. I just wonder what the long term effects on our society and our outdoor sports will be? Underlying currents in our society.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

ozarkwater: I don't believe that fishing is specifically banned here in Colorado. The "stay at home" order is clearly open to interpretation here. For the most part, folks are staying home as much as possible (including me). I haven't heard of any police action on the matter, not to say that it won't happen here. I'd like to think that if you were prudent in your activities and maintained lots of distance from others you'd be allright.

The weather is going to improve significantly here today and lots of folks are getting a bit "stir crazy", including myself. As the facts continue to come in about how good the modeling has or has not been about this disease, I expect things to change. How the law enforcement folks will react to that is anybody's guess.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

lloyd3 wrote:ozarkwater: I don't believe that fishing is specifically banned here in Colorado. The "stay at home" order is clearly open to interpretation here. For the most part, folks are staying home as much as possible (including me). I haven't heard of any police action on the matter, not to say that it won't happen here. I'd like to think that if you were prudent in your activities and maintained lots of distance from others you'd be allright.

The weather is going to improve significantly here today and lots of folks are getting a bit "stir crazy", including myself. As the facts continue to come in about how good the modeling has or has not been about this disease, I expect things to change. How the law enforcement folks will react to that is anybody's guess.
OK, thanks for clarification. Our MO state gov has shy'd away from totally prohibiting fishing. My understanding is he grew up around Pomme de Terre. One of our special bass lakes and a total jewell.

Thank you!

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

lloyd3 wrote:Nothing Washington State does surprises me anymore.
Do you care to elaborate? I'm really curious what you mean.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Was in the Catskills yesterday and what was interesting that all the famous pools on the BK had a good amount of people, almost like peak season, but they were mainly spin fishermen.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”