Corona virus and fishing pressure.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Corona virus and fishing pressure.

Post by BigTJ »

Fished in a snowstorm yesterday by myself. If you can get out midweek do it. I am enjoying the opportunity normally this time of year I’d be skiing. With the resorts closed that’s not an option.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

I'm likely going to get out for a few hours today. Being mid-week, I don't expect to see too-many folks out there. Our Governor has been threatening to follow the Denver Mayor in his lock-down proclamation (he did reopen the "pot" shops though...). All that's left to do here is to empty the jails and close the gun shops (with the State's duplicitive background checks taking multiple days, they are effectively closed anyway). I'm running out of chores around the house and it's going to be a beautiful day. I also have some new Korkers to try out.

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

Hellmtflies wrote:My wife and I have voluntarily isolated ourselves. So, what that means is, we aren't telling anyone where we fish. :)
Too much longer of being around my two teenagers 24/7, you might run into me fishing and living out of my SUV.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I have yet to see another boat on my lake while Ive been out fishing...and the sight fishing has been out of this world! Been out every day for a couple hours. I did notice one of my lake neighbors hitting one of my spots, he must have been scoping me:)

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

It seems everybody had the same idea as I had yesterday. The South Platte was so busy, it looked like a weekend in June. Lots of people fishing, even in the low-rent sections. Got a good walk in and tested out my new boots, which worked fine (felt is hard to beat!). Warm and windy which meant lots of wind knots and even....kayakers. I didn't last very long. When you get people piled one upon the other, transmission is almost unavoidable, but when you get away from the bigger cities that risk is significantly diminished. Seems almost self-destructive to do what we are clearly doing. Perhaps that is the point?
Last edited by Titelines on 03/27/20 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for political content

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I wake up this morning to be informed that the entire state of Colorado has been "locked-down" by our loony-tune governor. So much for heading out onto the plains for relief from this silliness.
A couple of months ago people looked at what was going on in China and shrugged it off 'Not Me'

Than it appeared in Italy and people shrugged it off 'Not Me'

Than people dies in Washington state and other areas of the country shrugged it off 'Not Me'

Young people watched older people contract the disease and they partied on 'Not Me'

Now, it's been documented in all 50 states. Only thing you need is somebody in a less populated area act as a host and transmit to somebody who brings it back into an urban population.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." - JFK

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

mlarocco wrote: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." - JFK
Think Rationally?

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Think Rationally?
I have a friend who does volunteer EMT work in rural Vermont. He said they are seeing a significant increase with 911 calls from people who have flu like symptoms.

Dave in Maine
Guide

Post by Dave in Maine »

In Maine, IFW and the Governor are encouraging people to get outside and recreate. So much so, they've opened the open water season early and have decreed that any person not prohibited from fishing (i.e., whose license was suspended previously) may fish without a license until April 30. (I think this is as much as anything intended to prevent another case of cabin fever and consequent hatchet fighting.)

I'm told by a friend upcountry that there's still some time to go before ice-out so his salmon trolling is on hold and we in Portland had 6 inches of snow the other night, but I'm sure the sea-run brookies are somewhere accessible....

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Washington state has explicitly shut down recreational fishing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cabin ... r-BB11LcO5

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

How about therapeutic fishing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Nothing Washington State does surprises me anymore.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I've seen a bunch of strangers fishing my local the past week or so. This is relative, meaning two different groups in two different sections within a week. Usually I bump into one person a year and only in one section.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

lloyd3 wrote: Our Governor has been threatening to follow the Denver Mayor in his lock-down proclamation (he did reopen the "pot" shops though...).
Do the pot shops sell toilet paper?

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

The US was granted a few advantages in this situation. We are a little behind many other countries and have had an opportunity to see how this pandemic is playing out elsewhere. The one country which instituted drastic measures to contain the virus, including blocking off communities, which is China, is now reporting few new cases and is sending extra medical personnel and equipment to other countries. Italy, Spain and France initially under-reacted and many in the population initially refused to see this as a problem. As a result now ice skating rinks are being used as morgues, the army has been mobilized to remove the dead from hospitals, the mortality rate is far in excess of places such as Germany where the healthcare system is coping, and there are stiff (5,000 Euro) fines for being out of your home without documentation that you are out for a few specified reasons. Despite seeing this, there are still some folks who see this disease as no big deal - which seems to me to be an amazing cognitive disconnect.
We lost this golden opportunity in the coast states. Currently we lead the world in case numbers. NYC went from zero to over 20,000 cases in a few weeks. Most of us are looking on their situation with horror. I agree the density of people is one factor - another being that the horse had escaped there before the barn door was shut. Our rural areas, which have pitifully slim resources medically with some counties even lacking a physician, have a rare but fleeting chance of preventing such a scenario but only if people heed the advice of the experts - the VAST majority of who are telling us to quit interacting as much as possible.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Saw even more people today.

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

Just by way of an update: a week ago there were twice as many Covid-19 cases as Tuberculosis cases in the country, not the reverse. Now there are about 10 times as many. On the east coast CT opened it's fishing season early to take some of the crowding out of the normal annual opening day. I wonder if other states are entertaining that idea? And any New Yorkers going to RI (lots of them have second homes on the coast) have to go into a 14 day quarantine.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

My local is finished. Cant believe how much pressure is on it now. I went out today, low 40s and raining and still bumped into people. Luckily I bumped into some fish, too.

BackTheBrookie

Post by BackTheBrookie »

mlarocco wrote:Washington state has explicitly shut down recreational fishing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cabin ... r-BB11LcO5
Yeah, that’s complete nonsense. I’d tell em to come find me and make me stop fishing. A line’s gotta be drawn somewhere. And I’m prepared to do just that if it comes to my state.
Last edited by Titelines on 03/30/20 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to take out vulgarity not allowed by forum rules

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Yesterday I went to fish an almost nameless stream and found more people... this is not good.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”