Corona virus and fishing pressure.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

bob2935
Master Guide

Corona virus and fishing pressure.

Post by bob2935 »

Just wondering what fellow forum members are predicting in terms of the Corona virus and the numbers that will be out fishing this year. I wonder if more guys will be out as it is the perfect activity to do in terms of avoiding the virus. Also there will be more unexpected work stoppages, early retirements and ample free time for us workaholics. Would wonder if the Catskills will be busier as guys may not be flying to fishing spots. Since it has started I have been doing more fishing in my backyard (Spring Brook, Caledonia, NY) as I do have less client appointments. The nice thing is that the fishery at least by my house has finally come back. Perfect timing.

What do other members think
Thanks Bohemian Bob

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Corona virus and fishing pressure.

Post by Brooks »

I’m worried that while I’m fishing, marauders will break out the window in my truck and steal my secret stash of toilet paper.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Well I'm in SW MT and a lot of folks fly from all over to come here. Would expect it will be a little quieter here this year depending on whether people feel comfortable flying. Alexis talked to one of the Spring Creek owners and they were surprised to be getting cancellations for the busy season. Also Yellowstone Park has banned the bus tours from China, assuming they can even get here, so the Park might be a good bet this year as a lot less buses will be clogging the roadways.

Tom

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

Fly fishing, for me, has always been a form of "social distancing."
It's the getting to and from you have to worry about.
I saw a dozen or so guys/gals fishing the Deerfield river in western MA. on Sunday. No one was within 40 yards of each other. Go figure. ;)

D
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I figure I'll continue to fish, as usual, in the back-country. As for fishing travel, I'll wait to see what is happening. I'm over 60 and have heart disease. I'm in decent shape, walk my dog 5+ miles a day, shovel my driveway, do my own lawn maintenance, etc. But, as much as I love to fish, I don't want to die over it or be miserable for weeks. I'm in no hurry. Sooner or later, the doctors & researchers will get ahead of this and part of their success depends upon our using the guidelines for staying as safe as possible. Yeah. I've got time to figure out the travel, if any, this year.

We have a week planned in the Livingston, MT area in late August. If the restrictions are on (and I doubt it), then I'll stay home until CDC tells us it's safe to move around again. We'll get there, folks. Patience is a virtue that I DON'T have, but in this case, I'll wait for an "All Clear." :)

Pat

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Yeah, after a couple of years of summer health issues I am now able to move around well and had planned to splurge for a week of fishing in a nice cabin somewhere in MO or AR next month depending on who figures it's going to be good fishing and not blown out. Just been talking to a few places and guides and now wife says we better send any money anywhere until we have a lot better idea of what'll be happening in a month. I have local ponds I can always bass and crappie but with knowledge I don't have a lot of trips left I wanted to do a good trout trip and hoping the self-quarantines we are doing all around the country will get us there without completely destroying economy.

One thing is, and yes, it's a selfish thought, resorts and guides will be in need of income badly by then and making a 3 trip for price of two should be doable with cabin rent at a discount to fill one for a week.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Unfortunately I don’t think people have any clue what this level of disruption is going to do to the economy. I think initially here in the next two weeks while it feels like a snow day and everyone has a little down time more guys will be out on the water on nice week days. But once we hit the area where huge swaths of the population become unable to pay mortgages and bills and the market really starts to bottom out it’s going to go from fun little break to depression era level problems. The marauding people breaking into your truck won’t be looking for TP they’ll be looking for things to steal and sell. Including your truck. I don’t think people realize the size of the economy tied to banking/real estate, the travel industry, and things like durable goods that are going to competely dry up. Yes workers may still be able to build cars but no one will be able to buy them. 9/11 really hurt the airlines for a short period. This is like that but for the whole economy times 100. I think then you’ll see lots of open water if you’re in a position to take advantage.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

It may be that fishing license sales this year will increase simply because of a lack of anything else enjoyable to do. As the warm spring and summer temps rise, the virus with it's dislike for sunny hot days , likely will decline.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

I wonder why it is not declining now in Florida? It's very warm there!

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

As for increased fishing pressure I don't know! Maybe day trippers. People will realize that there is no safe place to stay overnight. Major hotels are shutting down. I would not want to sleep in a motel/hotel no matter how much they say they have disinfected. Imagine going to a diner or fast food (i.e. Wendy's, McDonald's,Taco Bell etc.)and worrying about who was sitting there before you or who prepared the food you are going to eat or using the rest room. You say we will go camping and I say I'm not using a public bathroom/shower shared by 100 to 200 other campers. People will probably stay local and that could put some extra pressure on those streams.I guess we will just have to see how this all plays out.

Tom

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

RMorrison wrote:Unfortunately I don’t think people have any clue what this level of disruption is going to do to the economy. I think initially here in the next two weeks while it feels like a snow day and everyone has a little down time more guys will be out on the water on nice week days. But once we hit the area where huge swaths of the population become unable to pay mortgages and bills and the market really starts to bottom out it’s going to go from fun little break to depression era level problems. The marauding people breaking into your truck won’t be looking for TP they’ll be looking for things to steal and sell. Including your truck. I don’t think people realize the size of the economy tied to banking/real estate, the travel industry, and things like durable goods that are going to competely dry up. Yes workers may still be able to build cars but no one will be able to buy them. 9/11 really hurt the airlines for a short period. This is like that but for the whole economy times 100. I think then you’ll see lots of open water if you’re in a position to take advantage.
Am with Rich on this one.

Me thinks this might overtake the Housing Crisis in fervor. A lot of folks were hit back in 2008. For whatever reason...not going to get into that, but essentially tied to too much house in a declining market. This is [ again agree with Rich ] going to affect a much broader section of the US economy. If this continues for very much longer.... Average American misses one month's worth of pay checks and they are in trouble. Amount of "free cash" on hand that is not already spoken for by bills something like $500?!

Most of us here are above the median income, asset and educational level I would think. Hellsbells probably above the 80th % at least.

The Virus.

Wife..got a hospital super bug about 5 years ago. CDiff. Last week she was given her first round of antibiotics in 5 years [ bronchitis ]. Because she was, for all practical purposes..."immune" to antibiotics. Actually they were ineffective, forget all the medical lingo. Pneumonia or even less initially, could have possibly been fatal for her. And yeah, a virus ain't a bacterial infection but the same process of hygiene can work.

What did we do to get through all this? First cousin was a medic in the SEALS. Son in law a naval officer attached to the Marines as a medic. All the visits with the docs and nurses, you learn things.

We bleach everything! Door knobs, faucets, sinks, toilets in a hotel room. The Little Lady carries her own "tool kit" for cleaning. Check the room and bedding. Bedding? No need to discuss that. We walk into a restaurant and the first thing I do is check the bathroom out. Grunge? Out the door we go. Large and crowded restaurants, never. She can't take the risk. NEVER touch a door handle with your hands. She, seriously carries a pair of gloves with her even in the summer or...she uses a disposable wipe and tosses it. All kinds of techniques. Actually I being the good husband and a gentleman always open the doors for her. Same thing on the grocery cart.

Grocery store? [ here is where the MU docs and medics come in ] the package of hot dogs, the mustard bottle and the frozen peas, get doused in a soap/bleach solution and washed off the very first thing when we get home. We wash with a small dab of bleach on every load of wash we run. Travel since she had this has always been restricted. Hotels? Not any more. We stay at known AirBnBs that totally understand her situation. And simply we just do not travel that much. We pack [ just like we did when we were kids in the old Ford monster station wagon...our own lunches etc.]

She has survived 5 years on this regime. The Virus, new situation. Hope for the best I guess and practice good hygeine.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

upstate wrote:I wonder why it is not declining now in Florida? It's very warm there!
I don't know how it compares to other states but with a very large senior population and 5 fatalities, 142 confirmed cases , sounds pretty low but time will tell.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Tommasini wrote:It may be that fishing license sales this year will increase simply because of a lack of anything else enjoyable to do. As the warm spring and summer temps rise, the virus with it's dislike for sunny hot days , likely will decline.
Marty, that was my thought too. However, where I am in SE Asia we are in the hot season now, averaging 100 or more degrees and very sunny. The past few days have seen a daily increase of 20 to 30 percent in the number of cases in Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia (shutdown borders now with over 100 new cases today alone and hundreds more the past few days), Singapore etc.

So heat does likely slow the spread but it is clear this virus can still be very active in hot sunny weather.

If I had a trout steam nearby I would be there!

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Adrien,
OK, you would know. Take care of yourself!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

My wife and I have voluntarily isolated ourselves. So, what that means is, we aren't telling anyone where we fish. :)

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thank you ozarkwater for the most clear advice on what to do during this 'pandemic.'

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 03/17/20 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I wash my hands in the muddy water ... of the local ditch’s I frequent. Still nobody out there.
Blessed to be an INTP I am fine just fishing, hiking and sitting home with my family and goodness knows I have some serious fly tying to catch up on. Stocked the freezer and pantry last week and bought a massive case of “the secret papers “ from our janitorial supply shop. So I’m still refusing to panic and keeping on the sunny side. Praying for those affected and for calm amid the storm. The economy will roar back in a couple months, hand wringing and panic never fixes anything. Be well folks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I seem to have the lower part of the South Island of NZ to myself and the fishing has been pretty good. The problem will be getting back to Australia via four flights and then doing two weeks of compulsory isolation. Wish me luck.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

The reports here in the UK are that there will be a drop off in the number of those infected during June/July but the numbers will then rise and peak around next winter.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I'd be more concerned with the economic impact

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”