Corona virus and fishing pressure.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Corona virus and fishing pressure.

Post by Flykuni3 »

lloyd3 wrote:The thin veneer of civilization is easily torn by almost any form of human hardship. We are risking the destruction of the greatest economy in the world over a variation of a flu bug that has likely been here before. I'd almost rather take my chances than watch the convulsions we're going through now. I do hope that this is resolved quickly.

All of the American freedoms and liberties that make us unique in the world seem to be threatened now. "Never waste the opportunity of a crisis" seems to be the motto of many politicians these days. I pray that they pay dearly for their sins here.
It is now 4/6, and this post is extremely dated. The United States now leads the world in the sad virus war, which in reality means we are losing the battle.

I don't believe much news out of China, having friends who've covered that country, but this seems true: they attacked the problem with Draconian measures, so strict many Americans would have a hard time accepting. Friend of mine in Shanghai with her husband and two kids have been in their apartment for about three months. There they were at the point of arresting scofflaws. They did things we likely won't hear about. We may also never know a true death count.

I'd hope in a few weeks my reply will be dated and irrelevant, but it doesn't look that way at all. A lot more are going to die, and at various ages. Yeah, we're in that demographic they first thought would be hit hardest, but it's apparently taking down all ages, including some very in-shape people. I know of a marathoner who recently died; two healthy LA CO deputies have died, too.

I think the media coverage has been pretty good, pretty constant and the true breakdown is an uncaring and dumb public. Police tape ripped from trailheads, teens hiking in a group of eight, close together; surfer won't leave beach and mouths off at deputy saying, well what're you gonna do about it?, busted with a 1000. fine. (we all cheered for that one.) Paddleboarder refuses to come in off Malibu, two County lifeguard boats corral the idiot and arrest him.

We're being told to stay home, shelter, and I see people walking hanging around in clumps and clusters. If it explodes in the homeless population that may be near 40k here -- and it's already in there, plus the County Jail system -- it will be an apocalypse. That isn't hype, that's the reality here in LA, Calif. NYC is in a very tough fight, we all know. Thankfully our mayor Garcetti, lambasted for his lack of action on the homeless, traffic and overdevelopment, has shown some hair and is starting to lead. Our Gov. Newsome, derided as a philandering pretty boy by his critics, is also showing hair, like Cuomo in NY. Far from taking advantage, they are performing as they should, doing what we elected them to do, lead, take charge, disseminate vital information, and give us some damn hope. God Save the Queen for that magnificent statement yesterday. That was the kind of leadership and message of hope and courage we've seldom heard since England stood alone in 1940.

Now, back to fishing: I've been going out once to twice a week to our local streams, and it's been great. We've had a March miracle of rain and snow, so the local season is saved. Jan-Feb precip was under 1". It would have been a disaster, but we're back in the game. We're in the middle of a good cold storm right now, snow down to 3k', 2"-- 4" of rain here and there. Our fish are still in a recovery from the 5-6 drought years we had, but they appear healthy and strong. The bugs seem in good shape (March Browns moving right now, Baetis in shape; glad I spotted my favorite Epeorus nymphs last outing, my favorite bug of all; and for caddis Rhyacs, Glossos and Psyches are doing well, plus damselflies and Golden Stones are present. I've also had the opp to finally fish some rods I bought over the past months.

As far as pressure, we see a few more guys out, but many So Cal streams are rough and brushy and they don't make for easy-access fishing (which is a good thing, the fish are protected). The easy, open places attract most of the anglers. So, it's all positive: I fish new rods, I'm catching wild trout, 4"--11", on dries and nymphs, and I pick up trash as I move along. The backpack on my Patagonia pack-vest carries about 25 lbs. of cans, styro, plastic, bottles and junk every time I leave a stream.

Take good care in the crisis, my friends. Last word -- think about sanitizing your shoe soles: if the virus lives on surfaces for days, like wood, metal, boxes, what about concrete and floors? Think about it, we walk everywhere, return to cars and home and could be carrying it on the soles of our shoes and boots and sandals. Then we take off our shoes with our hands. Then our hands touch whatever. Or we walk around with bare feet, and don't bother to wash our feet.

I spray my soles at my front door, and remove the shoes. I wear slippers at home. This came up with Asian American friends who routinely never wear a street shoe inside their homes. (the old Japanese tradition). It's like the rubber glove thing, whatever the glove touches will transfer to something else. Again, think safety. And we'll fish forever.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Daryl my wifes dog ate my slippers last week, but I like where your head is at. I need to order some more slippers!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ha.

Seriously, over the years as LA's homeless have increased to the 40k (estimated) it stands at, I've thought more and more about how dirty the streets and sidewalks have become. People pick up their dog's poop now, but there are piles of human feces here and there. I took an alley on the west side of LA, near Fairfax and CBS' Television City (Carole Burnett, Smothers Brothers, many others), Farmer's Market, a pretty nice part of town. There were piles in the alley.

There was a typhus outbreak in downtown. Hep C and other diseases are around, meth is most def around, needles/syringes. It's Third World, sorry to say. I see people washing in the gutter using fire hydrants. It's amazing what's happened, and I've seen similar scenes in other major American cities, including D.C. So, I worry about what I have trod upon. And bring home.
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 04/06/20 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I have not seen another soul in last 4 trips to the river. But then again it has been cold.

One benefit - this year the inner tube drunk fest college deal won’t likely happen on the river.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

BigTJ wrote: One benefit - this year the inner tube drunk fest college deal won’t likely happen on the river.
Wanna bet?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Ok bet you a beer shelter in place goes until August.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

BigTJ wrote:Ok bet you a beer shelter in place goes until August.
I don't doubt that. What I do doubt is whether college kids will pay any attention to it.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

For those of you who think CV just hits urban Blaine county Idaho has a higher infection rate than NYC or Idaho

Refer idahostatesman.com

BackTheBrookie

Post by BackTheBrookie »

searun wrote:
lloyd3 wrote:Nothing Washington State does surprises me anymore.
Do you care to elaborate? I'm really curious what you mean.
Are you serious?

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

BackTheBrookie wrote:
searun wrote:
Are you serious?
Back to the topic at hand boys.

Fishing pressure here is still almost nil. A few locals in town but up higher I’ve seen no one. We’re not a fishing destination here because there just isn’t that much fishable water but the local fly shop gets a steady flow on guiding when the tourist season is on...folks here to see Rushmore, Deadwood, etc. That isn’t happening right now obviously.

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

BackTheBrookie wrote:
searun wrote:
Are you serious?
Yes, my question is a serious one. We have a diverse array of "fishing" in Washington state. Some of these fisheries concentrate people, such as the fishing piers that line Puget Sound where sixty or eighty people line up shoulder to shoulder nearly every day and night.. Others concentrate a lot of folks at boat launches and at certain bank fishing locations. An example is the Spring Chinook Salmon fishery where folks also line up shoulder to shoulder vying for the best spot at this time of year.

I don't fish this way, as many others around here don't either. But a whole lot of people do.We prefer to look for spots with some solitude. Some of you may not have these congregated fisheries where you live, as we do here. There may be major differences.

Washington state's fisheries (along with most everything else) are shut down to help stop the spread of this horrible, deadly disease. Many of us out here understand why. The first US case of the virus occurred about five miles north of my home on Jan 21st, and the first known US death occurred about five miles south of us about a month later.

Even though we miss fishing our waters dearly, we are glad they shut it all down. Everyone here has been pulling together for the the good of us all.... and the spread of the virus right here of where it all began has slowed, allowing us a little bit of optimism.

Stay safe.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

We’ve had beautiful spring weather recently. Normal years the marinas would be packed and the banks shoulder to shoulder Plunkers. There is nobody on the Columbia right now. (Of course there have only been 230 Springers over Bonneville so far but that’s never stopped them before). I hear the occasional rumor about a local violating the no fishing rule, but for the most part fishing is nonexistent in SE Washington. While I live to fish I am OK with the restrictions. My need to recreate shouldn’t endanger the people on the front lines dealing with the issues

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Normally on a nice April day this section of the Columbia in Kalama Washington would have hawg lines set up ( rows of 6 to 8 boats full of 2-5 people separated by a couple of feet) as well as groups of plunkers throwing spin glos with 4 oz of lead from the beach. I think it’s easier to do a state wide closure than figure out selective rules

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

searun wrote:
BackTheBrookie wrote:
searun wrote:
Are you serious?
Yes, my question is a serious one. We have a diverse array of "fishing" in Washington state. Some of these fisheries concentrate people, such as the fishing piers that line Puget Sound where sixty or eighty people line up shoulder to shoulder nearly every day and night.. Others concentrate a lot of folks at boat launches and at certain bank fishing locations. An example is the Spring Chinook Salmon fishery where folks also line up shoulder to shoulder vying for the best spot at this time of year.

I don't fish this way, as many others around here don't either. But a whole lot of people do.We prefer to look for spots with some solitude. Some of you may not have these congregated fisheries where you live, as we do here. There may be major differences.

Washington state's fisheries (along with most everything else) are shut down to help stop the spread of this horrible, deadly disease. Many of us out here understand why. The first US case of the virus occurred about five miles north of my home on Jan 21st, and the first known US death occurred about five miles south of us about a month later.

Even though we miss fishing our waters dearly, we are glad they shut it all down. Everyone here has been pulling together for the the good of us all.... and the spread of the virus right here of where it all began has slowed, allowing us a little bit of optimism.

Stay safe.
Take it over to the Corona Virus thread if you want to wring your hands. Plenty of that over there. The first cases of Corona Virus in this country occcured back in Nov or December. The media only started paying attention in Jan.

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

RMorrison wrote:
searun wrote:
BackTheBrookie wrote:
searun wrote:
Are you serious?

Stay safe.
Take it over to the Corona Virus thread if you want to wring your hands. Plenty of that over there. The first cases of Corona Virus in this country occcured back in Nov or December. The media only started paying attention in Jan.
Re-read the name of this thread... "Corona Virus and Fishing Pressure"

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

You were on topic until you started bolding unsubstantiated declarative statements about how serious things are. I stopped reading all the virus threads because of all this BS. Fishing pressure yes. OMG - IF WE DONT DO SOMETHING WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! AAAGGHHHH! No.

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

RMorrison wrote:You were on topic until you started bolding unsubstantiated declarative statements about how serious things are. I stopped reading all the virus threads because of all this BS. Fishing pressure yes. OMG - IF WE DONT DO SOMETHING WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! AAAGGHHHH! No.
Come on now, lets not ring our hands over this. :rollin

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

RMorrison wrote:You were on topic until you started bolding unsubstantiated declarative statements about how serious things are.
And yet on 3/27/20 you said: “once we hit the area where huge swaths of the population become unable to pay mortgages and bills and the market really starts to bottom out it’s going to go from fun little break to depression era level problems.” and “9/11 really hurt the airlines for a short period. This is like that but for the whole economy times 100.”

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Was that in this thread?

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

I believe it was your first post in this thread

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”