Corona virus and fishing pressure.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Corona virus and fishing pressure.

Post by RMorrison »

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Is ... ing-621145

Interesting read. No one source is the be all end all of info these days but this guy is pretty smart and his credentials are legitimate where system modeling is concerned.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

One thing I noticed when doing my strategic social distancing fishing this week was that -- with schools out -- I saw a number of what-I-assumed were fathers fishing with their kids, who were out of school. I considered that one of the few positive impacts of the virus!

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

The streams around here seem to be a lot more crowded. There are also a lot more non-anglers using the stream side trails, hiking or dog walking.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

The first TP riot in California and the Governor will be calling up the National Guard and declaring Marshall law. It is a very serious situation and could degenerate into chaos if not handled appropriately if not in CA any state. Let’s hope a potential crisis elevates people to demonstrate their better sides.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

mlarocco wrote:The first TP riot in California and the Governor will be calling up the National Guard and declaring Marshall law. It is a very serious situation and could degenerate into chaos if not handled appropriately if not in CA any state. Let’s hope a potential crisis elevates people to demonstrate their better sides.

Marshall law is different than Martial Law, just saying :)

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Here hear.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Marshall Law, Martial Plan, what's the difference? I'm a graduate of George C. Martial High School, so I oughta know.

As far as fishing pressure goes, it was crowded as hell yesterday. Much more than normal, even for the first full day of spring. On the plus side, fishing was excellent once you escaped the crowds of eggdrippers.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

How do “quarantine in place” rules apply if we want to go fishing? Will we be allowed to travel to a stream?

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

The thin veneer of civilization is easily torn by almost any form of human hardship. We are risking the destruction of the greatest economy in the world over a variation of a flu bug that has likely been here before. I'd almost rather take my chances than watch the convulsions we're going through now. I do hope that this is resolved quickly.

All of the American freedoms and liberties that make us unique in the world seem to be threatened now. "Never waste the opportunity of a crisis" seems to be the motto of many politicians these days. I pray that they pay dearly for their sins here.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

The macro economic impacts of this are horrifying. The amount of companies going out of business and people loosing their employment are going to be staggering. I am selfish and hope our governor does not impose home confinement as I would like to go fishing and I believe it is a safe activity. But this is nothing compared to what people are living under right now, loosing income, loosing love ones, and putting in serious jeopardy their livelihoods in years to come.

I am from Spain and my family lives there. Although not as bad as Italy, the situation is very worrisome. The financial crisis in 2008 - 2009 is going to look "like the good old times" if people do not take responsibility and our elected officials do not focus in doing what is right for the population.

Stay Safe, Stay home and hopefully you can go fishing without risk.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

blackdog wrote:How do “quarantine in place” rules apply if we want to go fishing? Will we be allowed to travel to a stream?
I think that's going vary state by state.

I'm already hearing from several telephone company employees that they have received letters identifying them as essential workers and allowed to purchase as much gasoline as they need, beyond the anticipated limits on its sale.

No gas, and you're not going fishing, unless you're lucky enough to live within walking distance.

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

In some states outdoor activity is allowed if social distancing is observed. If everyone acts responsibly this would be fine. The problem is that the old statement of "with rights come responsibilities" has lost the last two words for too many people. A case in point is a recent article from a rock climber (one of my hobbies is rock climbing, at a simple level now given my age) who recently went out to a local crag thinking that this would be ok, being outdoors. She reported the crag was crowded with people having the same idea, with young people travelling up the routes one right after another using largely the same holds, which of course had not been disinfected. From an infection control standpoint this sounds like a nightmare. One wonders whether the climbers utilized any functioning neurons. When this type of thing occurs, where too many people act irresponsibly, it has led some places, such as in Europe (and I believe now several states), to totally shut down so that people can leave home only for a few specific reasons. Of note, I read that currently in Italy and Spain it is illegal to ride a bicycle, and doing so in Spain results in a 3,000 Euro fine - because the hospitals are so strapped they cannot handle the extra stress of injuries which might happen from bike riding. In Italy the army is removing the corpses from the hospitals because there is not enough manpower to handle the dead in the usual fashion.

Currently in the US individual freedom can legally be curtailed for public health reasons. An example is tuberculosis patients who need treatment for an extended period before they become noninfectious. Their treatment is directly observed and if they do not self-quarantine they can be forcibly incarcerated (usually in some health care setting) until they are not infectious. I'm not a constitutional lawyer but hope that most Americans realize the rationale behind the current actions.

It's obvious we cannot shut down for too long, but those who think we should not try to buy some time might ask themselves if they would be willing to volunteer at a hospital helping feed and transport coronavirus patients without having access to protective masks and gowns, and whether they would like to serve on ethics committees to decide which one of several patients in respiratory failure gets the one available ventilator. That's basically what they are asking health care staff to do right now if we don't act to limit viral spread. From another standpoint regular illnesses aren't going to stop, and if you get a heart attack but there are no available critical care beds your prognosis will be much worse, so there is a wide ripple effect.

We're currently trying to increase supplies - personal protective equipment, ventilators, etc. FEMA is putting up field hospitals as we speak to handle excess patients. Hospitals are scrambling for solutions to handle the anticipated influx. Finally we don't have enough rapid testing kits right now to adequately test and isolate everyone who needs it - this is also rapidly improving. In a month the medical system will be able to handle the influx better. Dr Fauci has tried to explain this repeatedly.

This disease has a MUCH greater mortality than the regular flu and is felt by the experts to be a novel virus to humans. We are however fortunate as this could be much worse (it's bad enough as it is) and will be a valuable learning experience for future pandemics, which WILL happen eventually. The disaster planning meetings I attended in the past dealt with plans for what would happen with the avian flu if it became readily transmissable among people (a scenario which could occur if a person became infected with the avian flu, which does not readily attach to human respiratory epithelial cells, and regular endemic flu simultaneously, as genetic swapping can occur in such a situation and result in a virus with the lethality of the bird flu but readily able to be transmitted person-to-person). Avian flu has a 50-80% mortality rate. The speculation then was that about half the population would get infected, most of those would get critically ill and about half the infected would die, about half of medical workers would probably refuse to report for work in that scenario and a lot of those who did report to work would die. Our county (Lewis and Clark in Montana) had a population of 55,000. The county had about 20 ICU beds and maybe 8 ventilators. Do the math. It was the worst meeting I've ever attended, one I still have nightmares about. It's not much of a silver lining but something to be thankful for that we are not facing that scenario.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Now, now ,Cotthroatkid, you are actually thinking about the hardship or pain of others... I agree totally with you and well done, but this country is not real good at caring for each other. Let's not get carried away and care about each other.

This is not another bug - just ask the Italians about that...I shudder at the daily stories that are coming out of here and there and elsewhere. If we bother reading about others...

It is often said that you can tell the nature of a community by how the weakest and most fragile are treated within that community. Hmmm...

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Watching the morning news out of Portland Oregon. Apparently there was a socially distancing problem yesterday where on a sunny warm days thousands of people decided to ‘distance’ themselves at the Oregon coast. The small towns were overwhelmed with visitors and are now considering emergency shutdowns of their own..,

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Thanks for all the great responses. Bohemian Bob

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

"Currently in the US individual freedom can legally be curtailed for public health reasons. An example is tuberculosis patients who need treatment for an extended period before they become noninfectious. Their treatment is directly observed and if they do not self-quarantine they can be forcibly incarcerated (usually in some health care setting) until they are not infectious. I'm not a constitutional lawyer but hope that most Americans realize the rationale behind the current actions."

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/statistics/default.htm

More TB in the USA than Corona virus.

Needless panic.

Going fishing.

Bob

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

“Needless panic”

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

Bob, your link about TB took me down memory lane. When I started training in medicine we did AFB smears and cultures on every single patient with a pulmonary infiltrate, looking for "red snappers", the slang for TB organisms. During my pulmonary rotation I accompanied a pulmonologist once a week to read chest films done at the local hospital dedicated solely to the care of TB patients, Dunham Tuberculosis Hospital in Cincinnati. The hospital was able to be closed in 1971. I've personally had dozens of ppd tests, though last year the CDC removed the recommendation for annual testing of health care workers. My last TB patient had multi-drug resistant TB and lived above a bar, where he spent his evenings. He was very cachectic and didn't like the hospital food but did wolf down Kentucky Fried chicken, which we used to bring him - the only time I've fed a patient KFC but this man needed calories desperately. The county health nurse deserves a freedom medal for tracing and monitoring all his contacts. TB rates have been decreasing and there are so many differences form the current infection I'll pass on the comparison. Please observe the recommended distancing when you are out.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Useful post Cutthroatkid, thankyou. Great perspective.

skykomish

Post by skykomish »

lloyd3 wrote:Useful post Cutthroatkid, thankyou. Great perspective.
+1

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”