Best vest?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Best vest?

Post by CDCdun »

YETI sidekick. You can strap it on your waders for a chest pack (without cumbersome shoulder straps). You can attach it to a belt to wear as a fanny pack. It’s completely waterproof and I can hold 4 tacky boxes in it. And at $50, it’s less expensive than a lot of other options!

Jake

retro-1
Guide

Post by retro-1 »

Obviously not popular, but I'm addicted to my Simms G3 and Pack it like George Castanzas wallet.
And yes my back feels it at the end of the day. Can't get past better to have & not need than to
need & not have. :rollin

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I had an Orvis Tak-l-Pak vest for a few years. Too many pockets. I just visited one of those Sierra discount sporting goods shops and picked up a Simms Freestone vest for fifty frogskins. It's a basic, simple vest; well made and lightweight. I dig it.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I've used an Orvis Super Tak-L-Pak for about 20 years and it's still in great shape. Its shoulder yoke distributes weight so well, that when it's heavily loaded for uncertain conditions, it's comfortable all day. I like having a lot of pockets, it's just easier to keep essentials organized. And of course, you don't have to use them all...

Just before Orvis discontinued the original cotton Tak-L-Pak, I bought two others. Now the lightweight nylon version appears to have been dropped too.

One is set-up for brook trout. Although I only take a single Wheatley 6-compartment box for the blue lines, the vest still works well, because I'm always carrying a camera and a titanium J-frame .38 (I fish alone in remote areas) in the large pockets. I'm holding the other new vest in reserve.

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hello
Is this the vest you have from Filson?
If so, it's worked very well for me by getting pressure off my neck with the strap system.
Thomas

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

For me, Filson strap vest.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Simms Pro Mesh vest. Short, light and not too hot, not too many pockets. I try not to load it down too much, specially in the summer. I've tried everything imaginable, came back to that as the best compromise.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

afried
Sport

Post by afried »

A short, grey Simms. Don't remember how long ago I got it or what it's called, but the label shows it's clearly from another time:
"Simms Jackson Hole, Wyoming Made in U.S.A."

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Orvis Tak-L-Pak off course, had it since 1988. Have had to repair the Velcro on some of the pockets, and the main zipper replaced once. Its been through thick and thin with me, I feel attached to it, and it holds too much stuff! But its an awesome vest!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Folsom Guide vest
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Over the years I've used several vests, from well used hand-me-downs to expensive vest from some of the more famous brand names, but for me the best vest has been the Filson's guide vest that I currently use. The only time I don't use it is while fishing very small streams or when the weather here in the mid-Atlantic gets HOT, then I use an old English shoulder bag.

-Rich

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Like everyone I also have tried many vests over the years. There is no perfect vest in my opinion and one needs several depending on that days outing and stream. I have the waist vest. They only work for me on small creeks or very shallow streams. It’s not fun to get your gear wet wading deep or stepping into a hole. Regular style vests can be heavy with too much gear so now I limit my gear and do with less. I had the Filson Foul Weather vest and liked it but just did not fish that much in foul weather and is really hot in the summer. I traded it for the regular Filson vest and use that about 80% of the time. For all day treks I use the Simms chest pack and backpack combination, works great. Carries lots of water, food and rain gear which is what I care about most on treks into the forests away from the roads.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

The Patagonia mesh was great for years, then my nephew gave me a Filson Strap and I liked it a lot, till someone here offered a Patanonia convertible pack-vest: mesh back section, or good sized two-compartment backpack. I typically fill it w trash each trip, about 25 lbs worth.

I dont mind doing it, streams look great after I leave.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

A vest is like a good friend. It chooses you as much as you choose it. Once together you become inseparable and know each other intimately for the good and bad aspects, accepting them all, for the benefits well outweigh the foibles/failures. My vest is an Orvis (I believe tak-l-pac?) given to me almost 40 years ago by my father and mother. I know every nook and cranny of it such that, day or night, without looking I can put my hands exactly on any item I need. I can pick it up and know just by the weight, or after a brief pat down, if everything is there. It is well worn( I fish over 40 days a year), some seams re-sewn, a few destination patches, stains and even a few flies stuck forever in the back. It not only carries the immediate necessary fishing gear, but I am confident in that it has some back up items and emergency gear that can get me by if something goes south on an adventure.

Now I do look at the new models on the market, many spoken about above and see that they are still well made. They have new attributes mine does not. I certainly could buy one and re-organize my fishing life's actions to fit its configuration, but why? As I have stated at other times, a vest too is just a tool for fishing. And like any tool its performance has more to do with the ability of the user than the actual device. If it fits wear it. Once found, learn its attributes to better your experience on stream. Hopefully you become friends and picking it up every day to head out is a joy knowing it is coming with you. Years later it would be my hope, it has embodied stories and memories to share silently with you as your mind drifts along the streams you fish.

Carl

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

" I want just-enough vest, something light, well made and thoughtfully laid-out. Who does that these days?"

I've mostly switched to a lumbar pack for hot-weather, short-hike fishing, so I don't know about vests "these days;" but if you can find a Montana-made Goldeneye vest on one of the auction sites, I highly recommend it. I tried three other vests (Columbia, Orvis, Bean) years ago before discovering Goldeneye, and I still use and love mine. Do a Forum search and you'll find some other comments.
Hope you find something you like.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Flykuni3 wrote:The Patagonia mesh was great for years, then my nephew gave me a Filson Strap and I liked it a lot, till someone here offered a Patanonia convertible pack-vest: mesh back section, or good sized two-compartment backpack. I typically fill it w trash each trip, about 25 lbs worth.
I dont mind doing it, streams look great after I leave.
Like you I went from my Filson Strap that is over 20 years old to the Patagonia Knapsack with the ability to attach the vest to it the shoulder straps. Currently just using the Patagonia, Every time I switch vests, I always leave something behind so I try to stick to one.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I have an old Orvis vest that I use less and less these days. I mainly use the Orvis sling pack that I got a couple years ago. Our weather just gets too warm, too soon to use the vest for long.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Baughb, we are the world.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Flykuni3 wrote:Baughb, we are the world.
Plus I got it on sale with a coupon!!

Bob G
Guide

Post by Bob G »

Over 45 years ago I swore off vests (for about 35 years). At the time I owned both 4 tray and 2 tray Richardson Chest Boxes, which I complimented with a hip pack (back then no compartments in the pack). This approach seemed to work well over many years until I got tired of babying the Chest Boxes in the rain and snow. By that time there were some well thought out compartmented hip packs which I switched to, and I left the Chest Boxes behind for good. Then about 5 years ago I got tired of always drying out the contents of my hip pack because I just needed to wade deeper in the slower sections of the Poudre River here in the Fort Collins Valley. Back to a vest for about 5 years, and I found the short Simms mesh vest to be my favorite. During those years I also tried out several chest packs and waterproof waist packs...IMHO the zippers on the waterproof packs required way too much force to open and close for my in and out needs. Earlier this year I ordered the Umpqua ZS2 Overlook 500 Chest Pack. After over 40 days now of fishing with this Umpqua Pack I seem to have found perfection for my needs.

Best, Bob

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”