Best vest?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

lloyd3
Master Guide

Best vest?

Post by lloyd3 »

Another challenge I've been noticing of late is the failings of my vest. It's a Filson chest pack strap-vest which I bought a few years ago (15?) to simplify things (my earlier vest had grown to almost 40 lbs in weight). The drying patch is very poorly located and getting to the back half only by taking it off is getting old. Have vests evolved in a logical and efficient fashion? The sash/sling versions I've seen look intriguing... where you just rotate it around your body to access the different parts. How do those work for folks? I want just-enough vest, something light, well made and thoughtfully laid-out. Who does that these days?
Last edited by lloyd3 on 03/21/20 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Best vest?

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Filson!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

The Hell Mountain Vest. Made in Montana.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

+1 Hell Mountain waist vest is great! I bought two of them, one for me and one for my son (see below). For going light or in the wilderness they simply work. Hellmtflies can hook you up. This photo was taken deep on Eagle Creek in the Smokies.

I also like my Filson strap vest but when it gets really hot and humid in the South where I live even those are too hot. Enter a waist-type "vest".

BTW, he had his rear bag filled with lunch and a quart water bottle.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Fanny pack/waist bag, end of story. It forces us to leave non-essentials at home and lets the upper body breath in Summer.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I used to teach an abbreviated fly fishing school(s) for Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Store in Fullerton, CA. wjen I lived in CA. I used to caution the newbies that they ought not buy a vest with 40 or so pockets and compartments. If they, or you're like most everyone else, you'll want to put something in each and every pocket and compartment. When you do that, your butt will be dragging on the ground long before you can get to the spot where you're going to fish, because the vest is so heavy. It only takes a few trips to realize that you need to just carry what you need. So far, I haven't been able to find a vest that'll carry only what I need! One guy in one of my classes said, "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!" I wonder how long it took him to see the error in that statement?

Carpe Diem, does not mean fish of the day!

Matt2007
Sport

Post by Matt2007 »

Do you have a link for the company that makes the Hell Mountain vest? A google search was unsuccessful for me.

Thank you.

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

Fishpond satchel ;-)

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

I ditched the vest for a Chapman shoulder bag a good while ago and was very happy. Still carry a bit more than I need, but much better and way more comfortable and user friendly.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I don't carry much anymore, sorted most things out by now, most of it fits in my chest pocket and small chest pack that attaches to my pack strap. 2 small boxes of flies, different boxes for different streams. I like the Zimmer Sling Pack. With everything the whole setup probably weighs less than 10 pounds.
I generally have a pleasant day fishing. I used to carry a lot more 20 years ago but didn't use most of it but I thought I might, but almost never did. That took a lot of years to realize I just didn't need all that crap.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The best vest kind of varies depending upon where and how you fish. For me I have tried plenty over the years including chest packs large and small, any number of vests and a shoulder bag. I am a hatch matcher and fish Catskill waters where there are a lot of bugs to match during prime season. I have used the Fishpond Gore Range Tech Pack since they introduced it something like a decade or more ago. It is still the most useful and suitable to my style of fishing. The only complaint in all those years is I stuffed it with too many thicker fly boxes until the drop down fly benches on each side started getting in my way. I solved that by going to the thinner 7/8" thick plastic boxes sold by Wheatley and others. I downsized my fly pattern load and simply replenish specific patterns as needed. I like the twin rear pockets so I can carry lunch if I want or a pullover and a rain jacket if needed, and the back is mesh so it stays cooler in the heat.

I prefer a vest so I have everything handy when standing waist deep in the river 50 yards from the bank. If I go out for a couple of hours with more limited needs I will wear a small chest pack that allows deeper wading and more freedom, but day to day the vest gets the nod. You might want to consider one of each as well.
Consider what you want to have with you and how you fish and make your choice to suit your needs.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The best vest kind of varies depending upon where and how you fish. For me I have tried plenty over the years including chest packs large and small, any number of vests and a shoulder bag. I am a hatch matcher and fish Catskill waters where there are a lot of bugs to match during prime season. I have used the Fishpond Gore Range Tech Pack since they introduced it something like a decade or more ago. It is still the most useful and suitable to my style of fishing. The only complaint in all those years is I stuffed it with too many thicker fly boxes until the drop down fly benches on each side started getting in my way. I solved that by going to the thinner 7/8" thick plastic boxes sold by Wheatley and others. I downsized my fly pattern load and simply replenish specific patterns as needed. I like the twin rear pockets so I can carry lunch if I want or a pullover and a rain jacket if needed, and the back is mesh so it stays cooler in the heat.

I prefer a vest so I have everything handy when standing waist deep in the river 50 yards from the bank. If I go out for a couple of hours with more limited needs I will wear a small chest pack that allows deeper wading and more freedom, but day to day the vest gets the nod. You might want to consider one of each as well.
Consider what you want to have with you and how you fish and make your choice to suit your needs.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Vests put too much weight on your shoulders and pull you forward. I prefer a sling pack, though people do well with chest packs/fanny packs.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

25+ years using the original mesh vest by Patagonia

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Spring Creeks & Steelhead rivers - Filson Foul weather vest & sometimes just my Richardson fly box. Excellent vest.
Mid-sized streams to rivers - Fishpond Vaquero (extremely comfortable and well built) styled after the Filson vest. Very comfortable for all day wear.
Big rivers in foul weather - Filson Foul weather vest or Fishpond Thunder Head submersible sling pack.

It really depends on where I am fishing and my needs are.
Last edited by Silver Doctor on 03/31/20 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Matt2007 wrote:Do you have a link for the company that makes the Hell Mountain vest? A google search was unsuccessful for me.

Thank you.

You may contact me directly at the following; hellmtflies@bresnan.net
Thank you, Mark

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

I knew it. This subject has been covered fully and well here before. All the shortcomings I've been experiencing with my present set-up have been way-more artfully described than I ever could. I just searched for the Hell Mountain vest and found all the previous posts on the subject here. What an incredible resource this forum truly is! Now... I just have to work through the options and figure out for myself how I really tend to use things. I find myself wading deeper for the simple reason that on the big tailwaters out here in the west, the shallow and easier stuff has been overrun and largely fished out. If one can cross the river to get to the more obscure points things seem to improve rapidly (thus my need for better wading boots earlier here). I don't really want to wade deeply but I'd like to have that option if I need it to get away from the crush of folks on our rivers out here now. IMHO, if you're willing (and competent) to wade out into a difficult position, you've eliminated 90% of the competition and fishing improves markedly. I'm a strong swimmer and have been around streams and rivers for most of my life but... I recognize the inherent risks (age being the greatest one now). I'm just looking to make the best of things here.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

lloyd3 wrote:I knew it. This subject has been covered fully and well here before. All the shortcomings I've been experiencing with my present set-up have been way-more artfully described than I ever could. I just searched for the Hell Mountain vest and found all the previous posts on the subject here. What an incredible resource this forum truly is! Now... I just have to work through the options and figure out for myself how I really tend to use things. I find myself wading deeper for the simple reason that on the big tailwaters out here in the west, the shallow and easier stuff has been overrun and largely fished out. If one can cross the river to get to the more obscure points things seem to improve rapidly (thus my need for better wading boots earlier here). I don't really want to wade deeply but I'd like to have that option if I need it to get away from the crush of folks on our rivers out here now. IMHO, if you're willing (and competent) to wade out into a difficult position, you've eliminated 90% of the competition and fishing improves markedly. I'm a strong swimmer and have been around streams and rivers for most of my life but... I recognize the inherent risks (age being the greatest one now). I'm just looking to make the best of things here.
lloyd3:

How about some of the pfd fishing/kayak vests?

Have taken a serious stroll on the NorFork. However that was a few years ago.

The conservation buddies of mine essentially said that you have to get out of eye sight of most easy access points to get to the decent fishing. Then and now.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Filson Foul Weather Strap Vest is my primary choice.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”