Fishing the Firehole

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Fishing the Firehole

Post by ibookje »

Reading the old Charlie Brooks’ book ‘The Living River’ about the Madison.

The Firehole, the largest source of the Madison, has always intrigued me. The geysers in the background makes amazing pictures. Sounds like a nice stream to fish with a 3 or 4 weight bamboo.

What is the best time to fish the Firehole?

If you have a nice picture of the Firehole, with or without fish, please post.

Bud
Master Guide

Re: Fishing the Firehole

Post by Bud »

I have only fished it in the fall. Mid September to mid October. Last part of September has been best for me. The fish seemed to run a bit bigger last season.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

One of my favorite places..........

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

Bob G
Guide

Post by Bob G »

Bud -

Your pictures just made my day. That Brown Trout...

Thank you for sharing.

Best, Bob

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

Beautiful photos guys.

D
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks for sharing Bud and hope to see you in October.
Dennis

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Late September, and a hail storm ensued. Fall/winter began after this front. Went from 70s to 30/40s next day.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Best times for Firehole are early and late in the season. Opening Day is Memorial Day Sat., but Firehole is sometimes high & murky for a few weeks. After that it's best until about 4th of July. Good again when weather cools in Sept. until end of season. Reason is hot springs and geysers make for warm water in midsummer, so fish are stressed and shouldn't be fished for anyway.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Wow that picture with the dark clouds is the most dramatic picture of the Firehole I've seen so far. Great picture!

Yes I've understood the Firehole gets too warm during the summer months.
Is it any good during the winter months, like between November till March? Or is fishing closed?

old and retired
Sport

Post by old and retired »

I've fished it a number of times in the Fall. Tried fly after fly and nothing. Put on a 18 or 20 dark black or brown soft hackle just under the surface and had a great day. Worked every time I went. I'd fish until I ran out of flies (gave away quite a few), broke off some, there are some really large fish in there.

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

Fishing in Yellowstone Park opens Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and closes thru the first Sunday in November. No you can't fish the Firehole in the winter. Best fishing for me is in the fall. And yes, you can go from a 70 degree day to a 30 degree day overnight. From bluebird sky to full blown blizzard also overnight. Go prepared for any kind of weather, spring or fall.
TJ

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I can imagine a wonderful setting of a fisherman in the Firehole with a snow covered landscape and steam from the geysers...

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

One of my favorites. I fish it every October and it always makes me smile.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Love the firehole!

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

Has anyone fished the Firehole off of Fountain Flat Dr. following it down to Feather and Goose Lakes? Long walk so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks, Ken

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

kconway wrote:Has anyone fished the Firehole off of Fountain Flat Dr. following it down to Feather and Goose Lakes? Long walk so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks, Ken
I have fished the entire length of the Firehole. Other than the area around Old Faithfull of course. It's all good. The "X-Mas Rock" area is my favorite. :)

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

kconway wrote:Has anyone fished the Firehole off of Fountain Flat Dr. following it down to Feather and Goose Lakes? Long walk so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks, Ken
Yep.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Thanks, Ken
Great fishing there, before the fires of '88, you could drive the Freight Road all the way to Goose Lake...now, I find it easier to walk downstream from Midway Geyser Basin to get to that area...PMDs in May (after Memorial Day) and June, soft hackles in the fall...The Firehole gets too warm from July to (at least) Labor Day and the fish find cooler creeks for more O2 in the water.
Last edited by pgwulf on 03/24/20 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

Of all the water that I have been able to fish, it's the Firehole that stirs my strongest feelings. It's just an incredible body of water. The best day of catching was about 18 years ago on June 15th. The PMD's started and for about an hour I could not put a fly in the water without hooking a fish. There was no anyone within sight, the traffic noise was minimal, it was a Sunday morning.

I have fished it numerous times since, always in the middle section, away from other folks. I have never fished it where it widens out except for a couple of times where it goes over the falls. When driving past that area the fish are always rising it seems and I just have to pull over.

Since that June day I have always fished in Sept. with the Elk bugling in the distance. It's just a wonderful experience.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Thanks, everyone... beautiful images are dancing about.

If I may ask, please name a favorite rod that is perfect for Fall and soft hackles, emergers on the Firehole?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”