Fishing the Firehole

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fishing the Firehole

Post by PYochim »

6 hours from my front door. I'm going!!!!!

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

WiFlyFisher wrote:Firehole is magical.

Anyone familiar with the Firehole should recognize this location along the river.

John
Muleshoe Bend

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 04/02/20 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

A few years ago with John Simonson. Yours truly trying to hold steady... Fun trip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIQX8hpiyI&t=32s

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Nice,Nice,Nice....

And if I may ask, the rod and the fly? Just completes that beautiful setting...

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

PYochim wrote:6 hours from my front door. I'm going!!!!!
Just FYI, before you leave . . . my cabin is about 40 minutes from the Firehole, but right now there is 44" of snow in my front yard. Oh . . . just for the record, I am NOT there. :D

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

It's just an easy day trip for me too. :)

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

The cabin is less than an hour away. We should coordinate a day in June to fish together.

Jim

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Eric Peper wrote:
PYochim wrote:6 hours from my front door. I'm going!!!!!
Just FYI, before you leave . . . my cabin is about 40 minutes from the Firehole, but right now there is 44" of snow in my front yard. Oh . . . just for the record, I am NOT there. :D

Eric
I think it will be a while before I get to that area. What I plan on doing is a September road trip. My daughter lives in Bozeman and ideally I would like to fish my way to there and fish my way home.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Day trip to the Firehole, out of the house by 0600 & absent too many Ohio, Utah, New York license plates stopping on the road (instead of pullouts) to photograph the ass end of a cow elk, I can be fishing downstream from Midway at 0830.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Jeremy, I forgot about that vid.

A couple more photos of the Firehole, but these were from mid-Summer when I had the whole family out to YNP versus the previous photos were from various years in mid-September.

Now back to work. :-(

John

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

The firehole is an amazing river. Easily recognized in nearly any photo. That clearly speaks to its beautiful and unique character. I have fished it a lot and it’s always fun. Late September into October is my favorite time to fish it. Good baetis hatches and way less people. I remember reading an old fly fishing book that mentioned how the average size of the trout in the firehole was quite large. I did some research and found other sources that mentioned the trout in the firehole were some of the largest in the area. Times have changed, and now they often run on the smaller side. It would’ve been fun to cast a size 22 baetis to a 22” trout with thermal features all around me. I’m sure there are still some 22” trout in there, just few and far between.

Jake

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Some knowledgeable old timers who are no longer around told me that the Firehole changed dramatically after the big earthquake of 1959. They spoke of brown drakes and other hatches that no longer exist and bigger fish than are common now. Water temps have increased since that quake and were apparently the reason for the changes.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

I haven’t fished the Firehole since almost 40 years ago when I caught my first brown trout ever (a delightful fluke on an 8 weight glass rod, size 10 or so Adams with drag and 0X or heavier leader about 6 feet long).

For those who fish it regularly now, what’s the average size of the trout?

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I never measure fish, but I would guess the average size is between 10” and 14”.

Jake

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Thanks Jake, I figured it was about a foot or so (in fact about the size of the brown I caught in the early 80’s), which is just fine for wild trout on such a beautiful body of water.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Hey guys. Shhhh!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I remember reading a book or an article by Charles Brooks when I was young about fishing the Muleshoe section. Through the years I dreamed of fishing there because he talked about the big fish that were caught. I had a hard time finding that section, I asked in West and no one had heard about that section. I did find it, I didn't catch any fish but that's when I fell in love with the Firehole.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Yes, I believe Mr. Brooks also talked of the quake and the effect on the water temp of the Firehole. Really enjoy his books...

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

"Fishing Yellowstone Waters" by Charles Brooks was my bible when I started fishing the Park back in the early 80's. This is from page 54, "In the early 1970s a series of earthquakes more severe than normal took place near the Firehole headwaters...These high temperatures also caused the growth and reproductive rates of the trout to drop dramatically, reducing both and size and numbers of trout in the stream...a skillfull dry fly fisher in the years 1950 to 1970 could expect to take ten to twenty trout in day, averaging over two pounds each with several of three three or more pounds."

Jim

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

The Firehole by Adriano Manochia

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”