Thinking about a 6wt.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

carl otto
Master Guide

Re: Thinking about a 6wt.

Post by carl otto »

Right now I am inventorying a Heddon collection of 31 rods. Mostly Model 35's, but some 17's, 20's, 50's and 60's. It's taking some time. Not one of these rods shows any varnish meltdown and some of them have been fished hard. I have seen two Paynes and a Garrison with varnish meltdowns, but would never consider disparaging these builders for the fault of an owner lacking due consideration for caring for their equipment.

My point is, here is someone expressing an interest in obtaining a Heddon 8' or 8 1/2' 2F rod, probably has $500-600 to spend. The easiest and simplest way to achieve success in this search is to pick up an excellent condition, well cared for Heddon and immediately head out to the stream.

Heddon made rods for the full spectrum of the fly fishing public. Those that cared for their equipment and many who did not. I have a Model 50, 7'6", 3/2 that stands its ground to a Dickerson 761510 and/or a Payne 198. Some of the 8 1/2' 2F rods are superlative casting 5 and 6 weights. For the cost, they do everything one could ask of them. A careful search can put a very nice affordable rod in one's hands.

Carl

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

DaveNJ wrote:Or get a Sweetgrass Mantra rod, which is one tip.
I think the option of buying a single-tip rod is overlooked all to often. Definitely some really good buys on both vintage and contemporary rods from what I see. Given most guys have multiple rods of lengths and weights where we often don't fish the same rod day in and day out, there is no need for having two tips. Sure there are a few cases where guys own only a rod or two but this likely is the exception these days.
And there are definitely and good number of Heddon, Granger, Orvis etc. available out there - that are still fish-able or have been restored/re-finished - at a reasonable price that would serve purpose for many years to come.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

DaveNJ wrote:Or get a Sweetgrass Mantra rod, which is one tip.
+1
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

One of my biggest regrets is that I did not buy a new Heddon in the early 1970s when York Arms Co. in Memphis had a couple on the shelf.....that was before I got "enlightened" to bamboo.

durangofly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by durangofly »

If you can find and try a South Bend Cross 1500, you might give it a try. At 7 1/2’ it is not among those already mentioned (unless I somehow missed it), but you did say under 8 1/2’.

I find this rod to be the equal in fishability and delightful casting to any 6wt. cane I’ve ever handled and far better than most - if not in extraordinary master builder finish.

Definitely a fine, blue-collar rod.
I fish . . . not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many other concerns of men are equally unimportant--and not nearly so much fun.

Robert Traver

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Hi Pontiac,

I can't believe I'm going to be the first person to recommend an Orvis. 6 weight country is Orvis country, and prices are very favorable right now. If a Heddon is really going to cost you 4-700, I'd strongly consider an Orvis 7 1/2 or 8 footer, most of which are 6 weights and a nice one can be had for less. Better cane, better ferrules, and the famous impregnation give you a first quality rod that is impossible to beat for the money. Many shy away since they didn't make as many light line rods, but in a 6 weight you'll be spoiled for choice! Arguments of the Heddon faithful notwithstanding, it's a better choice. IMHO.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I whole heartadly agree with the Orvis recommendation (I am a big fan) but given the initial suggestions by the OP, an Orvis may be out of his price range as a a SB will be 1/2 the price or less and the Orvis will still be 1/3 to 1/2 again investment of the Heddon, depending upon grade.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

perfesser wrote:bought an orvis madison 7 1/2 ft. 6wt for $295 recently. great rod in great condition. my dad decided he liked it so much, it lives at his house now.
But most of us who had that rod much preferred it with a modern 5 wt. line. Loaded just fine with it. I have a 7'6" Penta 6wt and love it. I had a Heddon 290 and me and it just didn't along. Mine was cherry but that doesn't help if your style of sloppy casting doesn't work with the rod.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:I whole heartadly agree with the Orvis recommendation (I am a big fan) but given the initial suggestions by the OP, an Orvis may be out of his price range as a a SB will be 1/2 the price or less and the Orvis will still be 1/3 to 1/2 again investment of the Heddon, depending upon grade.
Perhaps so, I haven't kept up. I was just going by carl otto's numbers above, he suggested 5-600 for an excellent Heddon. I've seen plenty of excellent Orvii for that and sometimes less.

pontiac787
Guide

Post by pontiac787 »

I appreciate the discussion. All great suggestions. The Cross 1500 wasn't on my radar. I've been a fan of Cross rods for a while but never had a chance to fish one.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”