First Fish Of The Year

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

red 1
Master Guide

First Fish Of The Year

Post by red 1 »

I have been fishing small streams a lot this year. Water has looked good but the fish were not biting any of the dry flies I was using. Today I tried wets. For a small stream this fish was the MC Daddy. Small stream. Big fish. First for the year.

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: First Fish Of The Year

Post by snorider »

Well dang it I cant see the pictures...well Now I CAN! very Small Stream, great brown trout, I love it! Glad you made it out fishing, which orvis rod?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

6.5' Orvis Superfine (?) No rod number inked on the cane, so I tell everyone it was W. Jordan's personal rod, nuck, nuck, nuck..
Stream is right down the road from my house, but somehow I always missed this section.

Sz28bwo
Guide

Post by Sz28bwo »

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Rob--

A beautiful stream, a beautiful fish, and a beautiful rod. All in all, I'd say a great day!

Thanks for sharing,

Rupert

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That's one sleek, healthy fish and it must have been a hoot on the Orvis. Thanks for sharing!
I caught a couple of 8" Cutthroats last week and was happy for the little wigglers.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Yeah! Nice brownie! You're one up on me. I've been out a couple of times so far. Never moved a fish. Yet.

Pat

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

KOOL!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice way to start the "catching" year. I love the rod and the fish, and also the skeleton. It's very classy.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Rob, beautiful fish. It really glistens. Nice rod and I love the skeleton reel. Is that a silk line?? Up here in northern Vermont it was snowing today. But once I finish off redoing our upstairs landing I am looking at days in the 50’s next week. Trout season doesn’t open until April 11th here in Vermont, but I hope to head to a stream section that is open all year. Blessings to you Rob. Jed
Last edited by fefferje on 03/30/20 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Fefferfly

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Jed,
It is a silk line. To keep everyone happy the Gov in CT opened trout season early this year. Glad he did. Days in the 50's that will be great. Good Morel hunting weather. I am going to start looking for them here soon, days in the 50's and nights in the 40's and they start popping.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Orvis Superfine (or a 7/4) has been a favourite of mine.
Love the history of Orvis, the grip, the no nonsense finish and it casts & fishes amazing.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

ibookje wrote:Orvis Superfine (or a 7/4) has been a favourite of mine.
Love the history of Orvis, the grip, the no nonsense finish and it casts & fishes amazing.
Never tried the 7/4. Love to, but they don’t show up much when I am actually looking. I am amazed every year the first few times I take the Superfine out. For a 6.5’ rod it casts and fishes real well. Perfect for small streams. It works well for bigger water pocket water where I want a short rod to control the fish in close.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

My first Trout of the year, a 16" Wild Brown from N.E. N.Y.State caught yesterday on a #8 HornbergImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

barnesspecial6 wrote:My first Trout of the year, a 16" Wild Brown from N.E. N.Y.State caught yesterday on a #8 HornbergImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr
Nice looking fish. Never used that fly. Fish it a lot?

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

red 1 wrote:
barnesspecial6 wrote:My first Trout of the year, a 16" Wild Brown from N.E. N.Y.State caught yesterday on a #8 HornbergImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr
Red, Funny you should ask, the hornberg was one of the first flies that I ever tied, taught to me by Walt Stockman, S&M Fly Shop, someone you and your Dad knew, fished it a little in '79 with no luck and for some reason I started using it again last spring and yes, I've had luck with it! A real good attractor, even if they only smack it at least they'll give their location away, Sorry if I gave you way too much info, you may have been only looking for a yes or a no. LOL! Tight lines Man!

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

barnesspecial6 wrote:
red 1 wrote:
Red, Funny you should ask, the hornberg was one of the first flies that I ever tied, taught to me by Walt Stockman, S&M Fly Shop, someone you and your Dad knew, fished it a little in '79 with no luck and for some reason I started using it again last spring and yes, I've had luck with it! A real good attractor, even if they only smack it at least they'll give their location away, Sorry if I gave you way too much info, you may have been only looking for a yes or a no. LOL! Tight lines Man!
The more info the better. I only know one other person who fishes that fly and they swear by it on the smaller sizes. I always say one day I will sit down to tie a dozen over 3-4 hook sizes but I never do. Maybe I will now

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-st ... /hornbergs
red 1 wrote:
Walt

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Just went down memory lane. Thanks for mentioning S&M. I used to fish their streamers at Twin Lakes in the spring. Those were good days with the family. I was young and wild. I would roll in just before we would leave the house to make the lake for sunrise. The boat would practically just start trolling again before someone would hook up on a tandem 9/3, or gray ghost. I think I will call by brother tonight he has the, or the twin of, a fly chest my dad, or grandfather made for him way back beyond the pale.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

red 1 wrote:Just went down memory lane. Thanks for mentioning S&M. I used to fish their streamers at Twin Lakes in the spring. Those were good days with the family. I was young and wild. I would roll in just before we would leave the house to make the lake for sunrise. The boat would practically just start trolling again before someone would hook up on a tandem 9/3, or gray ghost. I think I will call by brother tonight he has the, or the twin of, a fly chest my dad, or grandfather made for him way back beyond the pale.
nine three and grayghost 2 super Landlock Salmon flies, check out this fall male, he took a nine three, I released him to fight another day, check out the fly it's just below the rock to the left front of him, all my hooks are barbless, he's still in a little water, still thinks he's hooked.ImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”