Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

Post by ibookje »

Well basically I’m too busy (work & family) to fish more often.

The Netherlands has no mountains so we have to travel abroad for our trout fishing. A 3.5 hour drive takes us to some nice fishing streams in Germany but it can be crowded.

I prefer to drive to the German - Austrian border for my fishing which is about a 9 hour drive. Less crowd and gin clear waters.

Fly tying does help when I’m not able to fish :)
Loogie wrote:This fact blows me away, you only fish 7-10 days a year? Holy cow, you tie some Purdy darn nice flies though!!!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

Post by BigTJ »

Here is a quarantine special from yesterday. Saw a few people on the river but not too crowded even for a Saturday.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Here in Central NY state, they are telling us it is O.K. to be out fishing but "social distancing" must be practiced. If there more than a few cars at the Angler's access you need to move on. We seem to be the hot bed and I've been out 4 times in 3 weeks. I feel fortunate to be able to get my waders wet.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I had a trip to Casa Blanca in Ascension Bay Mexico planned for next week. Booked it about a year ago. That one hurt, but I’ll make up for in and then some in the years to come. Fortunately I have a lot of good trout water around me and I plan on fishing it (well isolated, of course) for as long as I can. I see fishing as a great and healthy way to be socially distanced.

Jake

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

Cancelled my plans for fishing the Au Sable in June.

I have made all my reservations for Montana and Wyoming in mid-July. Appears that trip will be cancelled also.

Probably just going to chase brookies until it gets too hot. Then, I’ll fish for smallies.

Eric

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Have a trip to the Kanektok booked with Dave Duncan and sons for late July, but am writing it off at this point. Maybe it will work out but it’s too early at this point. Thankfully went with trip insurance, but am interested to see how that works out.

This will be a strange year, no doubt. At least everybody in my family is okay to date.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I am making more flies through my fly-tying business which is nice as I intend to treat myself to my absolutely final cane rod purchase. Was leaning towards another Robbin's or Sweetgrass. Just discovered the Criterion Movie ap and it absolutely fantastic. I was getting so tired of all the crap on Netflix. Love tying to old classic films and this is a godsend. Tied to Balls of Fire yesterday. What a great film.

Regarding fishing I have always social distanced. Love fishing alone or with one other person. Hate being in groups of fisherman and always walk great distances to avoid crowds. Got a call from a fishing buddy yesterday and he was fishing with group of friends which was concerning as he does have medical issues.

My real job is working in mental health and my client contacts are now down so I am tying more and cutting more wood. The entire event seems so surreal but we will get through this even with the sociopath that is attempting to run our country. It's like a bad dream. And before this starts, I have no political party affiliation.

Bohemian Bob
Last edited by bob2935 on 04/14/20 20:39, edited 2 times in total.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I had planned to go to kulik Lodge in Alaska with my fishing buddy but that has been put on hold for at least a year or more. I bought my Montana & Idaho fishing license a couple days ago so I will be fishing my home waters around Yellowstone Country. Not too bad a place to fish in a pinch.
Dennis
Last edited by firehole on 04/12/20 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

For me, local fishing is still an option, thank goodness, but my next two trips to Colorado--Estes Park/RMNP in early May and the Upper San Juan in June--will probably be out of the question. Sad but true...

Stay well all!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

firehole wrote:I had planned to go kulik Lodge in Alaska with my fishing buddy but that has been put on hold for at least a year or more. I bought my Montana & Idaho fishing license a couple days ago so I will be fishing my home waters around Yellowstone Country. Not too bad a place to fish in a pinch.
Dennis
You're lucky Dennis, I went on line to get my Idaho license last week and because I live in MT, I'm unable to buy the Idaho license until stay home/stay away orders are lifted...see you on the Madison.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

pgwulf-see you there or on the Gallatin which I love to fish.

Dennis

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Out here on the West Coast, in Southern California, we were having a very, very dry winter; Jan-Feb rain totals didn't make 2". True. Then we got a March miracle like last year, and storms began to come in. And believe it or not, we just had a good dump of snow in the mts above Los Angeles this past week. Extremely unusual for second week of April. But are we local guys happy with that.

I've been getting out a lot with my ol' pal Marcelo. The flows on our little streams is up, clearing out silt and brush, while I've been picking up trash. I think I've hauled out over a 100 lbs. of cans, bottles, plastic, floaties, styro, and various people things that don't belong on a stream. (the consequence of living near to several million people, several of whom go to the mts without a clue as to how to act in nature).

But am pretty happy at this point -- not going in to work, new flies to try, good water, good bug life, recovering trout after a long drought. Pal to fish with.

Horton Creek
Guide

Post by Horton Creek »

Trip to fish Shenandoah with fishing buddy Greg this May we cancelled. Late July trip out west is up in the air.

Went bass fishing with sons to local pond last weekend. I have feeling will be mostly a local fishing season. At least my fly tying is improving.

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

No fishing for me. Just not worth it. My fishing buddy is still going out but says he is sketched out at the boat ramp . When he goes to pull out the boat, people want to see if he caught anything . They are getting way too close. So I am staying home. Stay in means ......stay in. Breaks my heart.

bamboo....mike

sgoodroe
Sport

Post by sgoodroe »

For me the virus is a complete non issue as far as my fishing goes. I live on the water, and have 3 trout streams with in walking distance of my front door, and that is where most of my fishing takes place anyway. I rarely travel very far to fish anyway, mostly due to the fact I commute 114 miles round trip every day for work (and yes I'm still working), and I have some of the best fishing I've ever seen close to home. I hate leaving fish to find fish.
That being said, I had hoped to take my oldest son on a trip to the fly fishing museum in Manchester, but it's safe to say that won't happen this year.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

No fishing for me. Maryland is currently prohibiting recreational fishing -- although allowing fishing for sustenance. I can't fish out of state, because anyone re-entering the state has to go through a mandatory 14 days of quarantine. Previously, I fished two or three times a week, so this is a major impact.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm definitely in the high risk group, and 30 people have already died in a town 5 miles away. I intend to follow the stay at home orders, and live to fish another day.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”