Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

Post by Mister Bill »

So far, I can do what I have been doing and do not travel much. Travel is limited to 100 miles.

I am unable to be close to my grandchildren because my age makes the togetherness risky.
Last edited by Mister Bill on 03/27/20 17:41, edited 2 times in total.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

Post by cdmoore »

Yes.

Cancelled trip to the Henrys Fork in late June into early July, including meeting up with some Japanese friends to exchange rods and fish.

Cancelled trip to the Catskills in early June, including friends both international and domestic.

May impact local fishing, too, if local authorities don't include fishing as an allowable "social distancing" activity. I was hoping to bring my boys out once it warms up a bit. Season opens soon.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I’m suppose to be in the Bahamas right now...

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I was going to go fish the green drake hatch on Penns but ...... Actually the virus is there too.

richardawalker
Sport

Post by richardawalker »

Washington State has closed all fishing until at least April 8. They will reevaluate on April 6 to see if the closure needs to be extended.
And we are not supposed to be doing any non-essential driving.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

That remains to be seen. I hope to get to Grand Lake Stream in May, and New Brunswick a time or two during the summer and early fall. I'm optimistic, but not enough so to make any reservations.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Camp/fish trip for three nights/four days on Connecticut's most excellent Farmington River hanging on by a thread. All res up to but not including Memo Day weekend have been knixed. I start Memo Day itself!!! Fingers crossed!

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Given that I am locked into self isolation since my recent return from NZ that would have to be an emphatic yes!! Early in April I hope to have some freedom again (not a lot mind you) and it is my intention to find solace on the stream, with boo in hand, every day that I can (the Tasmanian season ends in early May). The data coming from the US is very, very scary and I wish all Forum members best wishes as they try to keep themselves and their loved ones safe.

Peter

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Webfly wrote:I’m suppose to be in the Bahamas right now...
OK, this is getting way out of control. If a man can't catch Bonefish, things are grim. >:
I've had a do-it-yourself trip to a wee Bahamian island on my radar, but the horrible exchange rate (for me) with the U.S. dollar keeps pushing it into the future.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I am fishing a lot more than normal for this time of year since ski season was cut short.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This is the first spring I am able to actually get out and around and had been talking to some guides on rivers in AR and MO for spring fishing. Wife and I rent a cabin on the river, fish from dock, couple of guided river days, and bang, all those plans go out the door. I do plan to tour a couple of local lakes and if there is no one fishing them throw a few casts anyway.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Definitely. Probably no fishing at all this year. I want to be 110% safe.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I'll fish only within 5 miles of my home in rural NJ (yes, there is such a place).

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Cancelled trip to Bash in Townsend and yearly float trip on S Holston River in TN.

Dave

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

All my possible trips are on 'hold'. I was hoping to fish Northern Calif, MT, and possibly Alaska this year but I will just have to wait and see. I was so lucky to get my Feb Chile trip in before this hit hard. Fortunately...my local lagoons including the one in my backyard have been producing well (see pic). Also...been catching up on some fly tying but it is a bit pointless without a 'goal' in mind.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I am able to fish close to home. My other passion, photography I can do by myself so I am good there. What bugs me the most is that I am unable to see my granddaughter in Bozeman. I guess they have a lot of cases there. I do have a photography trip to SE Utah planned for late April. Hopefully things will have settled down by then. If not I will cancel it.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Only fly tying until May then up to the cabin on the Madison.

Jim

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

With the GSMNP closing and the high waters here in the South, even those of us that have not cancelled reservations as yet for the Bash are having second thoughts. The tremendous amount of rainfall we've experienced has put trout fishing into boats from the White east. Even farm ponds are so muddy and overflowing that flat water fishing is very slow. Plans for a small group of 6 to fish "club waters" in South AL for hybrid Bass and Bream in early May are doubtful. Not a good Spring even without the virus problem. And who the heck is crazy enough to jump on a plane voluntarily?

Ralph

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

My annual ice-out trip in northern ME has been cancelled. I’m heartbroken. Won’t be fishing near home for quite a while either.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”