Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jimwright
Master Guide

Re: Has the virus changed your fishing plans or habits?

Post by jimwright »

My April 1-10 western Montana trip is canceled and a d.i.y. bonefish trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize in August is wait and see. I was thinking about going to G.S.M.N.P. but see it is closed. I may get up to OK. soon and am app. 2 1/2 hours from redfish/speckled trout on the coast so.....

truchaspike
Sport

Post by truchaspike »

My local lake fishing for smallmouth and walleye will probably continue as usual or maybe even increase as I'm hoping to reduce trips to the grocery store by fishing, foraging, and gardening.

However, I have cancelled my April pre-runoff trout trip to WY, MT, and UT this year on account of the virus.

And we are cancelling trips to TX to see grandchildren.
Last edited by truchaspike on 03/28/20 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Well, my options continue to shrink as the state park on Grand Isle, LA. as well as activities on the rest of the island are understandably curtailed until further notice.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well,.......yes and no. My wife and I were able to make it to N.C. to fish last month and got back right before things really got ugly. That said, since then we have canceled our annual trip to N.J. in May and she has may cancel her annual trip to Scotland in September. At least for now but I really don't see things changing in the next couple of months. Sad, as the trip to N.J. was for my mother who will be 93 then. Gonna miss her birthday. Sad, as my wife's trip to Scotland was to take care of the two grand kids while their parents were scheduled for a bicycle trip across Europe. I have also voluntarily stopped working a part time job here in town.

Here is another thought. Recently I had another Forum member, I won't mention their name, ask me my thoughts about whether or not to take a scheduled trip to fish here in Mt. in April. If the water would still be open to fish etc. I simply said why risk it? That it is better to wait 12 months than to be carried by 6.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

So far, one fly fishing show and a one week fishing trip have been cancelled. Another favorite bamboo gathering is too close for comfort right now, as are my reservations for an annual May fishing trip with college buddies.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

If I suggested to my wife that I was going Cheese Country fishing now, there would definitely be another funeral (mine) and it wouldn't have been caused by any virus!

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

It looks like I won't be going to Pennsylvania in June.

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

All fishing has been stopped here in Australia .
Last edited by Serpentine on 03/28/20 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I find it interesting that some states have closed off fishing areas. In Maine the Governor has opened all waters within the state with natural openings (areas where ice has melted naturally) to fishing and people can fish without a license until April 30th. Customarily, some waters are open to "open water fishing" all year in natural openings, the rest open officially on April 1st. Up until this latest decree a fishing license was always required to fish anywhere anytime. Waters that are by rule always closed to fishing , remain closed.
Last edited by hatch on 03/28/20 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

ibookje wrote:Definitely. Probably no fishing at all this year. I want to be 110% safe.
Wow, that kinda blows me away. Is this really necessary? I guess I'm just not getting it...

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Cancelled trip to upstate NY/PA in May (not getting on a plane) May or may not have to postpone trips to CO and WY planned for late July.

There's no place close to my home (under 8 hours' drive) that's worth fishing, much less risking my health. At least when I do finally get to go, the flyboxes will be full.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Well, I don't fish much at all. Basically 7-10 days a year. This is split to a 3-4 days trip during and 3-4 days during fall. Trips brings me to Austria, southern Germany and recently to the Spanish Pyrenees and the Rockies.

So is it necessary? Well, I love fishing but I would like to keep fishing more... :rollin
Webfly wrote:
ibookje wrote:Definitely. Probably no fishing at all this year. I want to be 110% safe.
Wow, that kinda blows me away. Is this really necessary? I guess I'm just not getting it...

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

No fishing here in U.K. during the shut-down - not an “approved” form of exercise so can’t use it as an excuse to go out, although ironically I could go out to walk, run or cycle in the local park along with hundreds (not kidding) of other people (!) ??? just so long as I don’t go within 2m of anyone not a member of my household! I’d see fewer people deer stalking or fishing... ::)

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Try as I might, I can’t get any clear guidance on whether it’s OK to fish here. It’s kind of maybe yes, maybe no, don’t tell them I said anything. So I feel it’s up to me to deal with whether it’s OK and I’m not much use to myself in this matter. It almost feels like venturing out would be breaking some moral code. And getting to our cabin in Canada in August now seems a distant dream too.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

I was going to do some spring fishing up in Wyoming but now....I don't know. I'll wait and see what next week brings and tailor my response accordingly.

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

The fishing is not outlawed at the moment but there are restrictions , so i can not drive to fish the rivers i want. The ones i can reach are still too cold and the fish are not active. So just tying more flies instead , even some that normally i woudnt bother tying. ???
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Our annual trip to the South cancelled :'( No sunshine, No salt water fishing, no 80 degree days, no BBQ... I am bummed. Stuck here in MT during the heart of mud season. Those bat eaters need an FDA...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

All recreational fishing in the state of Washington has been shut down by WA department of fish and game in support of the governors shelter at home order.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

ibookje wrote:Well, I don't fish much at all. Basically 7-10 days a year. This is split to a 3-4 days trip during and 3-4 days during fall. Trips brings me to Austria, southern Germany and recently to the Spanish Pyrenees and the Rockies.

So is it necessary? Well, I love fishing but I would like to keep fishing more... :rollin
Webfly wrote:
This fact blows me away, you only fish 7-10 days a year? Holy cow, you tie some Purdy darn nice flies though!!!

BackTheBrookie

Post by BackTheBrookie »

Hasn't changed my fishing habits one bit and will not going forward. I do most of my fishing well off the beaten path and almost never come into contact with anyone.

If I lived in Washington I'd be pretty incensed about now. I'd also tell the powers that be to come and find me, if you can.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”