Thermometer

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

rudyc
Sport

Thermometer

Post by rudyc »

Looking to get a thermometer for stream / river fishing.
Got any opinions as to which one I should buy??
It's a good day for something.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Thermometer

Post by 16pmd »

For an economical, reliable thermometer I'd get one, not from a fly shop, but from a hardware or cookware store. For around $10 you can get a meat & poultry thermometer with metal probe and a dial indicator that goes up to 200 degrees. For considerably more you can get an infrared thermometer that you don't even need to put in the water - just aim at it and get the reading.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

I used a Fishpond thermometer for a number of years but as I’ve gotten older and occasionally have a hard time reading it I switched to a digital thermometer with a long probe, https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-AQ ... 86&sr=8-15.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

If you were like me, you'd buy one of the inexpensive ones from Orvis or your local fly shop, because I tend to seed them along many of the mountain streams that I frequent.

So, if you ever find one while fishing, there's a good chance that it may be one of mine that I absent-mindedly abandoned.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I like the ones from a fly shop, they work well and most have an outer protective sleeve and an attachment point often with a split ring.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

headwaters wrote:If you were like me, you'd buy one of the inexpensive ones from Orvis or your local fly shop, because I tend to seed them along many of the mountain streams that I frequent.

So, if you ever find one while fishing, there's a good chance that it may be one of mine that I absent-mindedly abandoned.

Ditto! I too loose one or two every year. :)

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

I have a Fishpond; but, I hardly ever use it.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I have an infrared thermometer firmly clipped to my vest. Wouldn't go anywhere without it. I point it at the water, push the button and have a digital readout almost instantaneously. It's also very accurate.

Pat

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”