Does Line Weight Really Matter?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Does Line Weight Really Matter?

Post by BigTJ »

DUCKMANNM wrote:Here's a good question about fly lines?? With about 72 different fly lines to choose from, how do you know which one to buy to try on your rod?

The best is to try existing lines you have, your friends have, or demo lines from your local shop before buying. Also buy unloved lines off the board classifieds- cheaper than new and part of the reduce/reuse ethic.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

The all class world record for a northern pike is 55 plus pounds and about 54 inches in length. A claim to a 60 inch fish is quite outstanding.

Carl

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Depends on your competency as a caster, not saying I am the greatest caster, but I did try the 1-rod thing a few seasons ago, tested the often-repeated story/myth regarding Wes Jordan/Orvis selling the 4-3/8 oz 2/2 Battenkill 8wt as being the best "all around" rod in the lineup for many years, I fished the rod for the entire season and nothing else, with adjustments for leader weight, length, and a transition leader as needed, fished #4 buggers and streamers down to #18 (my practical limit) BWOs and it was all good, only time I did not fish the rod was at Henry's Fork but then again, that's the Super Bowl and I have a hard enough time there as it is, Todd

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

carl otto wrote:Please read carefully;

When on a river/stream with current flow, does your line weight really matter (of course matched correctly to the rod you're using)? With the properly size and length leader coupled with the appropriate cast can not one place a fly on the water without noticeable disturbance to a fish?

Carl

If you consider catching fish to be an important result of fly fishing then yes, it matters. ;)

Rye_Tyler

Post by Rye_Tyler »

carl otto wrote:Please read carefully;

When on a river/stream with current flow, does your line weight really matter (of course matched correctly to the rod you're using)? With the properly size and length leader coupled with the appropriate cast can not one place a fly on the water without noticeable disturbance to a fish?

Carl
For what’s it’s worth, No. But it also depends on the size, clarity, and flow of the river. Highly pressured fish or hungry fish.

I fish a lot of skagit style single hand and two handed 225 grain to
420 grain lines. The other day was a case in point. Flubbed my cast,
dumped a 250 grain (7wt) line in a pile, crashing down on the water.
Two strips back in to recast and fish on! Four pounder... I can’t tell you how many times that has happened with a bad cast.

Depending on the current, the leader will compensate for the size line or a bad cast. A small, high pressured fishery like Hot Creek, with low flows, then line size might make a huge difference.

That said, If I was 500 miles from home and all I had was a 7/8wt with
me, I’d fish any body of water at any time.

Rye

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Years ago, when I was into light line tackle (3 weights on the Henry’s Fork, which isn’t at all unheard of or even a bad idea), I read John Shewey’s excellent book “mastering spring creeks”. He wrote that his go to fly rod for spring creeks was a 9’ 6 weight. At the time I thought of a 6 weight as a streamer rod. 20+ years later and I use a 6 weight for most of my dry fly fishing, and a 5 is really the lightest I use anymore. Nothing wrong with light lines, I just find 5 and 6 weights are my sweet spot for casting, presenting and fighting, both the wind and fish. While searching for a new permit rod I cast an Orvis H3 10 weight. That rod is awesome. I honestly felt like I could use that rod to delicately present dry flies to sipping trout.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”