Casting error

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jacknoir
Sport

Re: Casting error

Post by jacknoir »

Minnesota, looks pretty darn good. Looks like you're feeling the line in the rod and better controlling the loop. Unless you're looking to compete in distance casting tournaments I say, get out there and catch some fish!

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Better! Notice that your line is not dropping as much on the back cast? There were a few back casts that were really good. Better abrupt stops on back cast and forward cast but you're still doing a fair bit of wristing. More arm, less wrist and have your casting thumb ride that straight line to the target. Your hand is still following a shallow arc instead of a straight line to target, it's better but keep working at it!

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Watch this video.

https://youtu.be/LVGHjL4zRy0

Jimmy Green was a dominant force in the world of fly casting and rod design in the 60’s and 70’s. I was lucky enough as 12-13 year old to receive a good bit of instruction from him. He made it very simple. It’s just a stick and a string. 55 years later and I’m still at it. If I might add a little more advice. Try to use a little more athletic stance. Bend your knees just a little and put your left foot a little forward. In teaching people to cast I found it helpful to think of your forearm as part of the rod. Also think of casting as pulling the line rather than throwing it. Slack is your enemy! If you watch the video and apply the simple principles he teaches you will be on your way. You are already casting well enough to fish most rivers.
Enjoy the journey.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Jim Green's basic mechanics are virtually identical to all great casters, dated a bit, but sound.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That is a great video Bud, thanks for sharing it I am going to email it to my son. That should be much more effective than trying to tell him how to do it. And it may just reduce the number of times I am untangling line from the bushes.

Minnesota, you are doing much better, watch that Jim Green video closely and compare to yours; there is a subtle difference in the wrist on your back cast be sure to stop the rod before the drift and when lawn casting it is great practice to stop the rod on the front cast at 11 to watch your loop. That can really help on timing for both fore and back casts.

That said you are ready to catch some fish! and your basic mechanics look great!.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

Thanks guys. I have been watching various casting videos, Orvis, Mad River, Lefty K., etc. I have been watching my back cast. It does make a difference if I don’t break my wrist and use my arm instead. Lefty showed a neat trick: tuck the butt of the rod into the sleeve and you can feel the the tug of the rod against your sleeve if you break the wrist. It works for me.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Minnesota wrote:Thanks guys. I have been watching various casting videos, Orvis, Mad River, Lefty K., etc. I have been watching my back cast. It does make a difference if I don’t break my wrist and use my arm instead. Lefty showed a neat trick: tuck the butt of the rod into the sleeve and you can feel the the tug of the rod against your sleeve if you break the wrist. It works for me.
For accuracy and for short to medium distance, index finger on top will help you stop on your backcast.

You won't have the power of a thumb on top. . . .but it's a very accurate technique.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Looks a lot better. Practice abruptly stopping the rod on the forward cast like you were flicking something off the tip, that will bring you up another level.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

+1 for the Jim Green video, I enjoyed that.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Yes its better, here are a few more tips that will benefit you. Your feet are squared up and you are casting forward, this creates an imbalance, try your left foot forward and your right foot a little aft, while casting in the same direction, you will be steadier. After your third or fourth cast, you go back to the old video. You need to move your shoulder aft on the back stroke and compensate with your elbow to keep the rod tip in the same plane. The minute you are only moving your wrist, you go back to the arch, and the sloppy back cast, which translates into a sloppy forward cast. These are just suggestions, you will definitely catch fish because you are getting the fly out there, looking good!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Capt. Frank wrote:
05/05/20 15:05
Remember, although Joan Wulff was a good caster and instructor, her technique is a bit dated.
I'm an average caster. I'd trade my technique for her dated one any day of the week. Wouldn't you?

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

So obviously correct casting form and technique becomes obsolete for some reason. I don't believe I would do so well in a casting competition with Joan Wulff, you may not be aware that she was a champion at one time.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm not kidding; get a copy of the old instructional book, "Trout Fishing" by Joe Brooks. It has a marvelous chapter on casting with crackerjack drawings that illustrate the nuances of fly casting. I had the book 30 years ago when I began fishing. I had the same problem as you. But Joe's book illustrates getting that backcast high and using the hammer-and-nail concept of getting a good forward cast. Despite all the videos and books since produced, "Trout Fishing" gave me the best advice of all.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm not kidding; get a copy of the old instructional book, "Trout Fishing" by Joe Brooks. It has a marvelous chapter on casting with crackerjack drawings that illustrate the nuances of fly casting. I had the book 30 years ago when I began fishing. I had the same problem as you. But Joe's book illustrates getting that backcast high and using the hammer-and-nail concept of getting a good forward cast. Despite all the videos and books since produced, "Trout Fishing" gave me the best advice of all.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Richard, your casting is making some progress. Perhaps when Covid comes under control you could arrange for an instructor to come and visit you for a day’s lesson, or if you are driving then, to go see an instructor for some further fine tuning.

I hope your health is good enough next year to allow you to fish .- even if briefly.

All the best

Adrien

grayghost
Sport

Post by grayghost »

pm sent

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Eric Peper wrote:
04/25/20 13:46
mer wrote:Charles Ritz: "zic zic".
In 1971 I was lucky enough to have attended an 80th birthday celebration for Charles Ritz at The Williams Club in NYC, which was then the luncheon home of the Theodore Gordon Flyfishers. After the lunch (and a cocktail or two), Charles got up on a table with the tip section of a rod and a reel and demonstrated "high speed-high line" for the assembled admirers, with a rapid fire instructional commentary delivered in "English as spoken by the French." It was absolutely hysterical -- particularly when you realized this diminutive gentleman was 80 years old and acting and moving and talking like a teenager. I'll never forget that day.

Eric
I wish I had been there. The image in my mind from reading this is exactly what I picture from his book. Herr Ritz is one of those folks I'd love to spend an hour on the water with.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

I'm not answering for Capt Frank, but while a specific technique may be dated, the fundamentals are often the same. The specific rods and materials drive a change.
Lee Wulff talked about more of an "oval cast" in his books; which if you went back to Ritz and Schwiebert, it was similar to the "Belgian" cast by I believe Goddart. More start low, rolling, up, backcast, forward cast. Continuous flow, very slight pauses. Actually works very well with sinking lines.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”