Whats your best bluegill fly

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

dennis
Master Guide

Re: Whats your best bluegill fly

Post by dennis »

Yellow Humpy - sz 12.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Went out yesterday to my local warmwater fishery. The lake is very low and large bass weren't cooperating but happened to find a cove of bluegill and crappie. Sort of unusual for this lake as they have usually retreated to deeper water during the day by now. I tied up a lot of mini and micro Thunder Creek streamers over the winter for trout but haven't had a chance to use them for trout yet. Very successful yesterday.

I had to laugh - when removing my fly, I couldn't help but notice he had just had a meal:

-Dwight

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Today it was a black/yellow striped popper. This 2wt is so sweet to cast, just love it.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Folks...this is meant to be 'light-hearted' so if you are a purist...stop here! Asking forgiveness in advance from the moderators!

My granddaughter and I fished a local pond with fish feeders and decided to 'match-the-hatch'...success! Fish every cast...good practice casting and setting the hook....but got old after a while. There is a 'pellet-fly' in her hand...see if you can spot it!

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

:wave Yeah I bet your granddaughter loved the excitement of catching...very nice fly btw! :wave

I have to admit doing the same with my daughter long time ago on Green Lakes in Syracuse.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

This one in my pond took a wooly bugger fished with a Goodwin Granger 7633 Favorite.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Black wooly or hopper 'n' dropper, usually a Prince nymph.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Old chewed up nymphs. I get sister nice ones on bass bugs
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Ice cream cone chironomid/bomber.
Since my kids could stand and hold a fly rod they have been rocking the local bluegill pond's denizens with "Ice-cream flies". 100 fish in 2 hours between them is not unusual. It is quite fun to see the crowd of fish around the flies when they hit the water. For myself I prefer a nice porter, cause all I do is unhook fish... :hat
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

An ant... there are times that's the only fly they'll touch!

sth2006
Guide

Post by sth2006 »

I like fishing frog patterns for large mouth bass as I can cast them out and then give a little twich. But I do end up catching a lot of large bluegills in the process. Man, they sure can stink up my landing net -

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”