Late June MT Trip...

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BP Green
Guide

Late June MT Trip...

Post by BP Green »

So I’m driving up to Minnesota to visit with my son and grandsons next week. I’ll be staying till around the third week of June at which time I’m planning on fulfilling a lifelong dream to fish my way back to NM via SD, MT, and WY.

I have plenty of time since I‘m retired and the wife stamped the pass. This will be the absolute trip of a lifetime for me with no one else to worry about so I can do or go where I want within reason. Maybe I’ll foray into Idaho as well.

If anybody with local knowledge cares to share any advice as to where to go, it would be most appreciated. PM’s certainly welcome.

I am in the preliminaries right now so I don’t have any destinations set in stone. I can pretty much go wherever I want and I plan on trout bumming with a tent out of my truck and staying in motels. Destinations are up in the air right now. About the only one I can really think of for sure is Bozeman since that seems to be central to a lot of water. Maybe Twin Bridges and up towards the Blackfoot as well. SD and WY are absolute blind spots for me. I don’t know a thing about either really.

I prefer small streams with wild trout and little traffic from other fishermen, so trophy size fish are not a priority for me at all. In Bozeman I’ll probably hit some of the more popular rivers and those around YNP just to tick them off, but mostly I’ll likely just seek some out of the way water that is less popular with the crowds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all...

DF
Trout don't live in ugly places...

Bamboo River
Guide

Re: Late June MT Trip...

Post by Bamboo River »

Wow, sounds like a trip everyone should make. Very nice.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Bamboo River, where are you in the UP? I moved down here from Da Soo.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Based on what you like best, and if you are in condition to do some serious hiking in JULY, I'd take a close look at the Wind River Range in western Wyoming. If you like more detailed info feel free to PM.

Jim

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Thank you Jim. I will...

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Given the time frame that you may be here in Bozeman I'd keep a close eye on the stream flows. We still have a ton of snow on top so run-off may be tricky that time of year. The smaller creeks that you stated that you enjoy may still be unfishable then. I live for the smaller creeks in this area but don't really look to them until into July. That said the spring creek will always be available.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Hellmtflies wrote:Given the time frame that you may be here in Bozeman I'd keep a close eye on the stream flows. We still have a ton of snow on top so run-off may be tricky that time of year. The smaller creeks that you stated that you enjoy may still be unfishable then. I live for the smaller creeks in this area but don't really look to them until into July. That said the spring creek will always be available.
Will the bigger rivers be wadeable during that time frame do you think? YNP waters?

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

The Madison, Firehole and Gibbon in YNP will be wadeable in late June. Lamar & Soda Butte will probably not be until at least mid-July most likely.
Dennis

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I dont have much to add reference the fishing since there are folks that live in those areas that can offer good advice. I do want you to know that I am jealous as heck for you to undertake take such a trip! I wish you tight lines and safe driving! Lets see your kit and rods you pick for this trip! You will need at least a box of cubans!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I wish I could give you more personal fishing trip advice but from what you describe the Black Hills should be a great place to spend some time. The latest issue of one of my magazines has a great article on it and the Spearfish and others provide elbow room and lots of wild fish with the occasional oversize version. I have spent many hours touring the Black Hills on motorcycles and drooled over some of the rivers and lakes we'd ride by. These were not fishing trips unfortunately and my plans to get back just for fishing never materialized. Had friends who went there during there special license free weekend and always brought back a bunch of trout for the freezer but I know they were bait fishermen.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Most of the small MT and ID freestone streams will be in runoff in late June. Best bets for larger rivers are tailwaters like Missouri, Beaverhead, Ruby. Henry's Fork should be in its prime with green drakes and brown drakes. Depending on how much time you have, I'd pick two or three places to headquarter from and avoid driving all over the place trying to fish everywhere you've heard about. It's big country with lots of rivers, so you can drive yourself crazy and spend too much time on the road if you don't limit your choices. Call around to fly shops when you get there. You should have a great time!

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Lots of options then, mostly tailwaters and spring creeks. If you don’t mind spending a bit of money, the Paradise valley spring creeks fish really well then. It’s also the time of year most difficult to find an available spot on the creeks but well worth a call. PMD hatch should have fish up! The length of the Henry’s Fork, the Missouri, the Madison...they’ll all fish well. I’ve mentioned the DVD “fishing yellowstone hatches” a number of times on this forum, but it really is incredibly informative when planning a trip to the yellowstone area. Plus it’s just fun to watch.

Jake

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

This is so true!
16pmd wrote:.... I'd pick two or three places to headquarter from and avoid driving all over the place trying to fish everywhere you've heard about. It's big country with lots of rivers, so you can drive yourself crazy and spend too much time on the road if you don't limit your choices.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

firehole wrote:The Madison, Firehole and Gibbon in YNP will be wadeable in late June. Lamar & Soda Butte will probably not be until at least mid-July most likely.
Dennis

Dittto!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

16pmd wrote:Most of the small MT and ID freestone streams will be in runoff in late June. Best bets for larger rivers are tailwaters like Missouri, Beaverhead, Ruby. Henry's Fork should be in its prime with green drakes and brown drakes. Depending on how much time you have, I'd pick two or three places to headquarter from and avoid driving all over the place trying to fish everywhere you've heard about. It's big country with lots of rivers, so you can drive yourself crazy and spend too much time on the road if you don't limit your choices. Call around to fly shops when you get there. You should have a great time!
Absolutely correct!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

On your way back home stop by the cave and visit the GTRS and I would be honored to share a small stream or two with you as well. Colorado's snowpack is down and I expect our higher small waters to be fishing well by then.

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

You will have to deal with severe runoff in most streams at time. From Bozeman I suggest you get up on the DePuy spring creek website and see if you can possibly get a couple of days there. Best $100 you will ever spend for fishing. They might have some openings this year but that is a generally booked up time. I also suggest a trip up to "Big Spring Creek" from Bozeman. I think it is 150 miles from Bozeman so it is a few nights trip. There is a campground in the one town up in that area. And a nice pizza place Some good fly fishing only water and some open regulation water. Pretty easy access. There is a campground in the one town up in that area. The Missouri stays clean during that time period. I have fished the Fire hole and the Gibbon during that time period and would do it again. Caught a few small fish. Did not like dealing with the crowds. If you go south through the park and end up in Grand Teton the Snake right below the dam is generally clear. Huge Cutthroat if you get lucky. I like Mckenzie River Pizza in Bozeman and found a good greek takeout that I can not recall the name off.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Wow! You guys are awesome. Can’t even begin to express my gratitude. I think I may have secured a place to stay just outside of emigrant. A member of another forum I frequent has generously offered me the use of one of his properties while I’m there.

It’s not much, basically a shop adjacent to one of his rentals with a bathroom and shower. I can sleep in the shop or tent there. More than adequate for my needs. If it works out at least I’ll have a base to work from. I’m gonna get on it and see if I can secure a couple days on the spring creeks.

Thanks again to all. Please keep the suggestions coming!

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Gnome wrote:On your way back home stop by the cave and visit the GTRS and I would be honored to share a small stream or two with you as well. Colorado's snowpack is down and I expect our higher small waters to be fishing well by then.
Gnome, I would be honored. Thank you sir. I will PM you my contact info. Thank you...

George

lfentfish
Sport

Post by lfentfish »

If you like small stream fishing, you’ll love the Black Hills. Dakota Angler and Outfitter Fly Shop has loads of information on fishing that area on their website. I’d also recommend hitting Big Horn on your way west. Check out the Big Horn Angler fly shop website for more information. On the way home you should check out the North Platte River just a few miles south of Casper. Decent wading water below the Pathfinder dam and lots of places to camp in the area. Then head south to fish with the Gnome. Man, what a trip.
Larry

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”