Late June MT Trip...

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BP Green
Guide

Re: Late June MT Trip...

Post by BP Green »

Thank you Larry. I’ll look into it. Sounds great!
Trout don't live in ugly places...

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

lfentfish wrote:If you like small stream fishing, you’ll love the Black Hills. Dakota Angler and Outfitter Fly Shop has loads of information on fishing that area on their website. I’d also recommend hitting Big Horn on your way west. Check out the Big Horn Angler fly shop website for more information. On the way home you should check out the North Platte River just a few miles south of Casper. Decent wading water below the Pathfinder dam and lots of places to camp in the area. Then head south to fish with the Gnome. Man, what a trip.
Larry

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a huge fish kill on the Big Horn last year due to water management? Or should I say mismanagement?

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

Yes, I forgot the Big Horn. Usually clear during that time. Some wading areas. Do not know about a fish kill but I expect it is still an awesome river up near the dam.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

Gnome wrote:On your way back home stop by the cave and visit the GTRS and I would be honored to share a small stream or two with you as well. Colorado's snowpack is down and I expect our higher small waters to be fishing well by then.
You will not regret a trip with Jeff to one of his small streams and a peek inside the cave. He is a great host.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Are you going to be pursuing any other bucket list interests / pilgrimages on the trip besides fishing? Craft beer? Famous fly shops? Friends? Rodmakers? Museum of the Rockies? Ghost towns? The Korean BBQ wings in Jackson Hole? Tetons? Rodeos?

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hello,

Depending where in MN your family is located, you might have some good streams to fish while visiting your family. Please, PM me if interested.

The Bighorn and the North Platte are great suggestions to begin your fishing. Last Fall I drove to the North Platte near Casper, fished for a couple days and then drove North to the Bighorn and fished there a couple more days before returning home in Minneapolis. From my house the distance to both destinations was basically the same, which is a weird coincidence. Around 865 miles to the Bighorn vía I94 and maybe 860 miles to Alcove via I90. The distance between the two rivers might have been a 4 hour drive.

Apologies for the long story, but this could be a great way to fish two great destinations while buying time due to the runoff. From the Bighorn (Fort Smith) to Bozeman, you are probably looking at a five hour drive?

Anyway, fantastic trip that you have ahead, tight lines and stay safe.

Thanks

Alex

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

AlexP wrote:Hello,

Depending where in MN your family is located, you might have some good streams to fish while visiting your family. Please, PM me if interested.

The Bighorn and the North Platte are great suggestions to begin your fishing. Last Fall I drove to the North Platte near Casper, fished for a couple days and then drove North to the Bighorn and fished there a couple more days before returning home in Minneapolis. From my house the distance to both destinations was basically the same, which is a weird coincidence. Around 865 miles to the Bighorn vía I94 and maybe 860 miles to Alcove via I90. The distance between the two rivers might have been a 4 hour drive.

Apologies for the long story, but this could be a great way to fish two great destinations while buying time due to the runoff. From the Bighorn (Fort Smith) to Bozeman, you are probably looking at a five hour drive?

Anyway, fantastic trip that you have ahead, tight lines and stay safe.

Thanks

Alex

Nice post Alex!! I'll also add a bit of input per PM... George has been very helpful to me in rod-making posts previously.

Jeremy.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Wow, I can’t begin to express my gratitude to you guys for all the wonderful advice. The kinship and warmth on this forum is still second to none.

Yes, I will be sampling my share of whatever the road trip affords in the way of craft beer, BBQ, wings and sights. I’m also and avid motorcyclist, and am actually still kicking around the idea of riding up to my sons, then heading over towards Sturgis/Black Hills for a bike tour, then heading home to get the truck and commencing the fishing trip. That would put me into the trip a little later in July as opposed to late June giving the the creeks a little more time to clear up from the runoff.

I’m a little concerned about the water conditions with my current timing. What is the consensus among you pros? Sound like a better idea? Yay or nay?

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Btw Jeremy, PM returned! :)

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

Gnome wrote:On your way back home stop by the cave and visit the GTRS and I would be honored to share a small stream or two with you as well. Colorado's snowpack is down and I expect our higher small waters to be fishing well by then.
Jeff,

PM returned to you as well sir. That sounds like a great time! :skoal

I may end up pushing the trip back a week or two to give the creeks a little time to clear. Still trying to work out the logistics! :titanic

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

"Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a huge fish kill on the Big Horn last year due to water management? Or should I say mismanagement?"

Yes, I'd give the Bighorn a pass. There was a huge fish kill last year and up to 90% of the fish were killed. Two friends, very experienced anglers who had fished the Bighorn before, were skunked there in a day or two of fishing before they left.

And yes, a trip in July would be much better for the small freestone streams.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

After receiving loads of information and advice, I’m going to go ahead and push it back to July. Now I’m even tempted to wait till August for the hopper season to get underway but not sure I can hold out that long. :D

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

What caused the fish kill on the Bighorn?

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

Hellmtflies wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a huge fish kill on the Big Horn last year due to water management? Or should I say mismanagement?
This year on the Bighorn will be one of the best in many (see more info below as to why). If you are looking for info and lodging, Cheryl and Rick at the Bighorn River Lodge are some of the nicest folks I know. 406-666-2368 If you want a guide who fishes with bamboo (Paynes, Leonards, Thomas & Thomas, Rick Robbins, Winston) and prefers to get out of the boat to fish to rising heads, John Sindland is your man. 406 861-3774 He told me the water is better than he has seen it in years. You'd benefit watching him fish a few spots with you. With his Leonard 50DF I watched him toss a small dry 60 ft with a perfect 5 ft downstream curve cast. I need to post the video I took of this sometime. He spends his winters with his dogs shooting his side-by-sides. Good sporting conversation all around.

Over the last decade the Bighorn flow became an issue with water being held back in the lake to benefit a boat launch which has maybe 5 to 7 boats on the busiest day of the year. Meanwhile, the 10,000 cfs plus flows during peak fishing and spawning crushed a fishery and valley which brings in $100 million to the Montana economy annually. The Bighorn River Alliance has been working diligently with the Bureau of Reclamation over the last 6 years and came to some great compromises last year. Fish numbers are down, but the fish are larger and healthier. The steady flows of 2,000 to 2,500 cfs this year will benefit the spawn greatly.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

OnTheBrink wrote:
Hellmtflies wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a huge fish kill on the Big Horn last year due to water management? Or should I say mismanagement?
This year on the Bighorn will be one of the best in many (see more info below as to why). If you are looking for info and lodging, Cheryl and Rick at the Bighorn River Lodge are some of the nicest folks I know. 406-666-2368 If you want a guide who fishes with bamboo (Paynes, Leonards, Thomas & Thomas, Rick Robbins, Winston) and prefers to get out of the boat to fish to rising heads, John Sindland is your man. 406 861-3774 He told me the water is better than he has seen it in years. You'd benefit watching him fish a few spots with you. With his Leonard 50DF I watched him toss a small dry 60 ft with a perfect 5 ft downstream curve cast. I need to post the video I took of this sometime. He spends his winters with his dogs shooting his side-by-sides. Good sporting conversation all around.

Over the last decade the Bighorn flow became an issue with water being held back in the lake to benefit a boat launch which has maybe 5 to 7 boats on the busiest day of the year. Meanwhile, the 10,000 cfs plus flows during peak fishing and spawning crushed a fishery and valley which brings in $100 million to the Montana economy annually. The Bighorn River Alliance has been working diligently with the Bureau of Reclamation over the last 6 years and came to some great compromises last year. Fish numbers are down, but the fish are larger and healthier. The steady flows of 2,000 to 2,500 cfs this year will benefit the spawn greatly.
Thank you sir. Interesting post and good information. I will certainly take that into consideration. . .

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

As a side note. Should you wish to read an awesome novel that includes the Big Horn and that area then a must read is "The Mulligan" by Nathan Jorgenson. Published by Flat Rock Publishing in 2007. Also, a great read for any physician and anyone ever divorced. :) An interesting view on the Montana culture as well. Some good laughs abound here. :)

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”