Matching Reel to F. E. Thomas 9' Dirigo

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

wisefoolmike

Matching Reel to F. E. Thomas 9' Dirigo

Post by wisefoolmike »

I would like to get a reel for my refinished Dirigo.
1st complication I have had is that none of my current reels adequately seat themselves. 2nd is a medalist 1494 did not balance on my rod, was 5~6" in front of handle. I was told it is a 4 wt.

Here are some pics. Based on previous threads on dating Thomas's I am going with 1910-20 vintage on the rod.

"Evil is impotent and has no power but that which we let it extort from us." John Galt

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Matching Reel to F. E. Thomas 9' Dirigo

Post by headwaters »

The rod was made in 1911. What size are the ferrules? You can measure the female ferrules with drill bits, or you can measure the males using a drill gauge you can buy in your local hardware store for a couple bucks. The ferrules on all but one of my 9' 3/2 FETs from that era are at least 17-11/64, most are 18/11.

wisefoolmike

Post by wisefoolmike »

my drill index was only 32nds. It fit in the 9/32" so 18/64" I will dig around in my shop for a finer measuring instrument

Correction. I can't read my own notes sometimes. the size is 9/64".
Last edited by wisefoolmike on 05/25/20 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil is impotent and has no power but that which we let it extort from us." John Galt

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

I have an 8' Dirigo, same vintage, and first got a Meisselback 260 which was too light and then a Pflueger Progress 1774 which fit well and balanced the rod. Someone suggested a Meisselback 270 for an old reel that's a bit heavier. I asked the Forum for reel suggestions from the era for my Dirigo and didn't get much except for the Meisselbach. What would have been used in that era?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

9/32 is 18/64. What is the mid-to-tip ferrule size? My guess is 12/64 or 11/64. I'll bet your rod is a 6 or 7 wt. So, in my view, you need a heavier reel.

wisefoolmike

Post by wisefoolmike »

the correct size is 9/64. I misread my notes

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

wisefoolmike wrote:the correct size is 9/64. I misread my notes
hello, mike; . . .i have only a few dirigos, more specials; but my experiences have been that i have good luck with perfects and bougles (some fit some f e thomas rods, some fit others). an early rod such as yours would likely receive a smooth brass or aluminum foot. my experience with ridged (or threaded to match with hardy threaded reel seat) is that you might have dificulty inserting the foot in to the butt hood. age of your rod in my estimation would be late 1910's or 1920's . there is no way (without consulting carnac the magnificent) of establishing when the number on the reel seat was struck or when the seat was taken from the parts bin and installed on the rod.

regards, jim w

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Mike,

I have a similar era (1922?) FET Special 8-1/2' with 16/10 ferrules, a medium/slow 4/5 wt. For modern classic reels I like the looks and weight of a Hardy Cascapedia 4/5. At 6.3 oz it balances a longer rod very well. If you like reeling with your right hand (I don't) you could achieve a very classic look with an old Dingley or JW Young like the one in this photo. Enjoy that Dirigo, wish I could cast it side by side with my Special.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”