Fishing with the Bohemian Beadster, and others.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Fishing with the Bohemian Beadster, and others.

Post by Short Tip »

Rather than continue the hijack of the "fishing with a short tip" thread, I thought I might just do a "Fishing with Short Tip" post.

The Bearded Bohemian, ready to be pilfered big time. Also showing a Wisconsin Spotted Dace, and his technique for clearing trail with an expensive bamboo rod. Bob is a damn good streamside chef in his own right.

A couple of streamside lunches here at home.

And a few fish, for fun!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fishing with the Bohemian Beadster, and others.

Post by Brooks »

you guys know how to live!

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Yet here we are fishing after dark already!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Great pictures. Wish I could get out more to fish some members. I've had the invites but nature keeps interfering with my plans. Falling down and shattering femur doesn't help either and now the pandemic virus and riots spreading around the country. Just ain't safe out there right now anywhere if you have to travel to do it.

I loved the stories when the Pilfering Pastor and Go Fish(???) would help test Bob's flies for him. They also attested to his prowess as one of the all time greats at the LDR they'd ever fished with.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

bassman wrote:Great pictures. Wish I could get out more to fish some members. I've had the invites but nature keeps interfering with my plans. Falling down and shattering femur doesn't help either and now the pandemic virus and riots spreading around the country. Just ain't safe out there right now anywhere if you have to travel to do it.

I loved the stories when the Pilfering Pastor and Go Fish(???) would help test Bob's flies for him. They also attested to his prowess as one of the all time greats at the LDR they'd ever fished with.
We've all tested the flies, sometimes they even work! Bob has many talents, selective hearing, kindness to orphans and strangers, brush clearing, multi-fly rigs that look like christmas trees, and camp cooking. Just to name a few.

Anytime you're near the Nation's Capitol, give a shout and we'll get you on the water.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Bassman;

Sadly, I moved west and Ed still has a truckload of the Beadster's flies. Short Tip is right - we're far from the only people that have sampled Bob's flies. And, hands down, he's the master of LDRs. THE master. I think he likes it. It saves him from removing the fish from his hook. :)

Pat

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Great looking outing guys!
Shore lunches are the best.
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Love those LDRs, keeps the darned slime off my grubby fingers. Re: camping cooking, I do it out of necessity. If I let my buddies cook, I spend more time in the bathroom than fishing and after several days, I get real tired of weiners and beans.

Re: pilfering, haven't done much fishing (and the associated pilfering when I'm fishing) last year due to a car accident that sidelined me for well over two months, so I have mucho extra flies if anyone wants to pilfer them if / when they see me. Heck, some of "my creations" might even catch a fish or two but no guarantees on that.

Also, most people don't understand how many flies can be crammed into Wheatley fly box compartments and how nice the flies "fly" when the flip up windows suddenly pop up. Makes for the ultimate catch & release, er, actually neither catch nor release but some tidbits for the trout to bite and then quickly spit out. Gets the trout kind of PO'd but that's life, eh?

Have been tying a few hair wing salmon flies, not many, but a few. Heaven knows why since I think I've only gone salmon fishing once or twice in the past 20 years. But it gives me a chance to add more fly tying materials and books to my collections (thank you Gary Tanner!).

Oh, did I say that while I was sidelined from fishing, I did get a chance to assemble 5 or 6 more cane rods from purchased blanks? Heaven knows (again) why I needed / wanted more fly rods but I couldn't pass up some nice blanks from WIHEXROD (thanks, Scott!) and a couple I didn't realize I had hiding in a corner.

Lastly, with all the rain, floods, etc. in Cheese Country, when I get a chance to head north again, hope the "Elderly Gentleman (?)" will let me use one of his Leonards / Paynes to do some brush clearing. I hear it's getting pretty bushy in the Driftless sloughs, run offs and ditches!

Cheers

Beadster, Bearded Bohemian, Boobies, etc. etc.

PS - Pastor Pat, I mixed up some "safe" Tups dubbing if you need some!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”