Bringing a rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

wineslob
Master Guide

Bringing a rod

Post by wineslob »

My wife and I are going on a trip to check out North Idaho. As they have lifted the restrictions I'll be getting a license. For those that bring a rod or 2 with them, how do you "get it there"? I will be contacting the Airline to see about bringing the rod(s) as carry on.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bringing a rod

Post by munsey w »

The last few times I traveled with a a rod, I brought a 7'6" 3piece, and kept it in my hands the whole way :) never seemed to be a problem.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

I use a Cabelas’ green cordura nylon case (the one with room for an attached reel). I can fit 3 rods in it. Usually 2 three piece rods and 1 four piece rod. All bamboo. The four piece is an 8 foot rod. The three piece rods are 7 1/2 and 8 feet long.

Lots of guys use rod cases by Fishpond, Orvis, and Simms.

Leave the aluminum tubes at home.

Cheers,

Alan

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/27/20 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

May depend on where you start from. 3 & 4 piece rods have never been a problem, but 2 piece rods sometimes can be. The closer you get to the West, the better your chances as many more people are headed to fishing destinations with rods, so TSA and airline people see them often. At the Salt Lake airport I see many 2-piece rods being carried around by passengers after clearing security.

And yes, TSA and airlines see PVC or cloth-covered tubes as less of a threat than metal ones.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Just adding another option that has worked for me in the past. If you know where you are going, you could send the rods ahead and pick them up once you have your vehicle. Obviously, risks of shipping and trust of recipient, but it is an option. You could also try diversification. Ship one, bring one as a carry on, check one. Good odds you'll have at least one in your hand as you exit the airport and can track down the other two if necessary. A large travel case like KISS or Flambeau can be helpful if bringing multiple rods, or just one rod, on the plane. Keeps it well protected if you check it. Just be ready to use your chameleon eyes to look in two places at once at baggage claim. Oh, and don't use your lock on the case. Use zip ties and bring extras. TSA clipped my lock. Use a TSA approved lock, perhaps. I don't travel much and a helpful forum member alerted me to their existence. Still, padlock isn't really that secure.
Last edited by cdmoore on 05/26/20 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Yea, I was going to say that I know of people who mail their skis and equipment ahead of them when they travel by airplane for ski trips.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

My last Alaska trip for northern pike, I wanted a couple 2 piece rods and was concerned about airline travel. Either the airline or TSA can be a problem if they want to be. So, I shipped them USPS 2 weeks in advance, as they recommended. The rods arrived the day I departed for home and USPS refused to ship them back at their expense. Fortunately a fishing friend was able to loan me a couple #9 line rods.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Went out to Montana with my son a few years back. I used a Pelican case to ship our rods out to a Fly Shop that I had made arrangements with. Worked perfectly and the Fly Shop shipped them home for us.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

wineslob wrote:My wife and I are going on a trip to check out North Idaho. As they have lifted the restrictions I'll be getting a license. For those that bring a rod or 2 with them, how do you "get it there"? I will be contacting the Airline to see about bringing the rod(s) as carry on.
Gotta think it’ll be an empty plane. Shouldn’t be a problem.....Do us all a favor and let us know how the flight goes. I’m not ready to fly anywhere yet....

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Thanks guys. Delta is being "difficult". We will need luggage and I think a large hardside will allow me to put it in on a diagonal.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Brooks wrote:
wineslob wrote:My wife and I are going on a trip to check out North Idaho. As they have lifted the restrictions I'll be getting a license. For those that bring a rod or 2 with them, how do you "get it there"? I will be contacting the Airline to see about bringing the rod(s) as carry on.
Gotta think it’ll be an empty plane. Shouldn’t be a problem.....Do us all a favor and let us know how the flight goes. I’m not ready to fly anywhere yet....

I will. Probably going to fish forks of the Cour De Lane and possibly upper reaches of the St. Maries.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

You should have no issues carrying a pair of tubes with you as a carry on. I use two Velcro straps to bind both tubes. Perfectly legal and safe to carry on. With the flights limited to 75% capacity plenty of overhead space to put them there or you can use the front coat rack if you ask politely. I see them all the time on trips to and from Miami or out west. You can PM me if you have any questions.

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

I carry up to 8' 0" 2 piece rods in a leather tube. It holds 4 rods in their socks. Most of the time as I board an attendant asks if I would like for them to put it in the closet. If not, goes in the overhead. I've been doing this for 8 years and I have never had a problem.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Tell the TSA it's a guitar, huge backpack, skis, golf clubs, artwork, baby stroller, or any of the multitude of oversized items that are routinely stored on the plane for people. The problem is, it's a crapshoot based on who you encounter that day. :-\
I usually duct tape 4-piece rod tubes together and store them in the overhead without issue. When an attendant grumbles, I ask politely about the enormous backpacks that they allowed to be crammed into the overhead against their "rules".

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I fly Southwest. their policy a few years ago was that as long as the tube was under 3" in diameter and it was not too long to go in the overhead bin it flew and was not counted as carry on luggage but considered the same as a walking cane or umbrella. This was from a Southwest Supervisor I had to wait a while to talk to and she sent me a requested email stating the policy in case I encountered a problem.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

I use one of these soft sided golf club cases. I have taken it to Tierra Del Fuego 3 times and to Montana numerous times. I carry rods in a heavy Simms travel tube which fits the bag perfectly and adds stiffness to make it easy to transport using the wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Sof ... cas&sr=8-5

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

I'd drive myself. You'll be able to stop and fish when you want to and change plans easier.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

wineslob wrote:Thanks guys. Delta is being "difficult". We will need luggage and I think a large hardside will allow me to put it in on a diagonal.
Asking the question on a telephone will lead you to frustration because lots of those folks answering are not gate agents. I do this for a living, just carry your rods on, it’s not that big a deal. If it will alleviate your torment, then look up the TSA reg and read for yourself, completely legal.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

For many years I've used a 3" cardboard mailing tube with a shoulder strap I glued on and it will hold 5 rods (very snug) in their socks. You can cut it to whatever length you need and it can be carried on as your "personal item" along with a small backpack or whatever other item you want to carry on. The tube will fit nicely at the back of the overhead compartments and still allow space for others' carry-ons. Beware that some of the bargain basement tickets on small carriers like Spirit are extremely restrictive with their carry-on sizes and have big penalties if they're exceeded - read the small print.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”