Cane power

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

trouterbass
Sport

Cane power

Post by trouterbass »

So, these past few years I have fished mostly glass. Went out for bass last week and grabbed my ff75. But I was throwing clousers and after a couple hours my old shoulders were feeling it. So yesterday I got out my 8 ft Hardy CC de France(vintage). I was able to cast from my elbow down, no shoulder pain after 4 hours. Ok, it helped that the fish were cooperating. It was nice not to have to guess or look back to see that my line was all the way back - just feel the rod load up, and go. Nice.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Cane power

Post by mer »

That is part of the magic of bamboo.
I don't recall what book I read it in, but a line was roughly (not the exact quote, but the meaning) "bamboo helps load itself graphite/fiberglass don't".
I know for me, graphite rods feel like they take more work on my part to cast (not talking super duper fast action, I'm talking Sage DS2 or old Winston IM6) until there is enough line out (roughly 30 ft) so I can feel the rod bend.
Any of the graphite "fast action" rods I've tried I want to go up 3 or 4 line weights on them.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Reference Bass rods, a modern 7wt like a TFO or an Orvis Recon is light and easy to cast all day, that is the big advantage of modern materials. They are easy to load with the right line on them. In contrast, I find 7wt and up bamboo cumbersome at best due to the weight, they might cast nice but the weight is the weight. You will be fatigued quicker with a heavier stick. Your joints work harder with extra weight as well. I fish bamboo because its fun and its classic, but they certainly have no advantage over modern materials in terms of weight.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Glass, and to a much lesser extent, graphite rods hit an abrupt wall at the end of their power range. Bamboo tapers off much more slowly. Granted, that bamboo rod will gas out shorter, but will be more controlable and frankly, enjoyable out there. I feel more beat up fishing my 9' 8wt graphite (Scott for windy days) all day while smallmouth fishing than I will with my 8'3" 6wt smallmouth penta. That's the little secret of bamboo that very few (even of us) ever experience with our 4wt trout rods who've never fished (not just lawn-cast) a power-oriented bamboo rod like a para 15. A glass rod at its limit just says "NOPE" a bamboo at it's limit will say "are you sure you wanna go there?...okay, slow down please let's see what we can do"

JUSTAPAYNE
Sport

Post by JUSTAPAYNE »

RWHoffhines wrote:... a bamboo at it's limit will say "are you sure you wanna go there?...okay, slow down please let's see what we can do"
+1 Rob, exactly what I feel when casting the Payne CC you built for me :smokin
Jean-Louis

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

+1 Rob, exactly what I feel when casting the Payne CC you built for me :smokin
Jean-Louis[/quote]

Indeed Jean-Louis, the Candian Canoe maybe even more than the para. It just goes without end! Garrison 212 is another taper that smoothly goes into infinity.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

RWHoffhines wrote:Glass, and to a much lesser extent, graphite rods hit an abrupt wall at the end of their power range. Bamboo tapers off much more slowly. Granted, that bamboo rod will gas out shorter, but will be more controlable and frankly, enjoyable out there. I feel more beat up fishing my 9' 8wt graphite (Scott for windy days) all day while smallmouth fishing than I will with my 8'3" 6wt smallmouth penta. That's the little secret of bamboo that very few (even of us) ever experience with our 4wt trout rods who've never fished (not just lawn-cast) a power-oriented bamboo rod like a para 15. A glass rod at its limit just says "NOPE" a bamboo at it's limit will say "are you sure you wanna go there?...okay, slow down please let's see what we can do"
One of the things I love about my bamboo rods. I have a Para 15 that is more semi-para and everyone I've let cast it makes the comment that it is a powerful rod.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I read somewhere that bamboo in 40 to 60' lengths will be laid over nearly flat in a typhoon and recover to perfectly straight. It is an amazing material.The same article states that it has 100 times the tensile strength of steel. What I find fascinating is that skilled builders can tweak their forms to make custom tapers to suit their needs and not be limited by a mandrel wrapped with cloth and resin. I'm fairly confident that there are far more tapers in bamboo than glass or graphite?

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

I think it's easier to make different tapers in bamboo (or even wood) than glass or graphite. If I recall correctly some of the early/better builders of graphite rods would sand the blanks at different spots to make it bend more to their liking. Nowdays with machines and computers, they can probably build all that into the mandrel.

But your second sentence: I completely agree. Amazing material.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”